The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

Former Ref who are coaches are such ...

I know they are because, well I was that person. I officiated my way through college, enjoying every bit of it. I got my degree, moved cities and got a job teaching. My father in law as a assistant principal had a coach quit 1 day before the season and knew I would be interested. Thus I entered the "dark side". I still wanted so much to be an official, so i tried my very best from my little box. As you can imagine, being a still somewhat immature 24 year old first year coach. Any of you would have run me in heartbeat. But I never did. I had a hard time adjusting. I still do. But as I approach 30 I think i am a bit wiser and now know I did not do my teams any service by being a ***. This year I have refocused myself and thus my team.

I would like to say that this forum helped in my maturation as i would frequent here just to read. And I am a much happier person. So I thank you all for your posts and insights. And I am even much more proud to say that this is my last year coaching, because being on this site and reading what other officials have to say had re-energized me to return to officiating.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 10:02pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Should we really believe someone named "TrojanHorse"?

I hope you do well at whatever you do: coaching or officiating. Lord knows we need good ones in both avocations!
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 10:07pm
This IS My Social Life

Back to the Lighter Side

Welcome back to officiating! After starting as an official, spending 7 years coaching, then going back to officiating, I can truly say I enjoy the game much more now than from the bench. Hope it works out the same for you!
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

I just started using the name because its the mascot where i work, I never saw it in that respect. but in all truthfulness, coached half of the year last year sitting, which i think forced myself to focus on the kids..and I really enjoyed it so to my wife..but there were times that after a game she said, "I can believe that you didnt say anything"
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

Freddy, you know..I learned really how little control I really have as a coach.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 10:18pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Cows Don't Need Them ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
I just started using the name because its the mascot where I work.
You work at a place that makes equine condoms? Cool.

TrojanHorse: You gave us a real easy straight line. I wanted to post before Mark Padgett logged on to the Forum. If I didn't do it, he certainly would have, and he's always a step, or two, quicker than me. Remember, I get paid dozens of pennies to be this funny.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jan 04, 2009 at 10:22pm.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 10:25pm
This IS My Social Life

Coach Control -- Really

Quote:
Freddy, you know..I learned really how little control I really have as a coach.
Having observed coaches constantly barking orders from the bench area, then having been such a "constructive barking coach" for about three years, I tried to assess just how much of what a coach barks actually gets through to the players on the floor. What I found out was enough to put me back on the bench and let the players do what they practiced and do my additional coaching during timeouts and intermissions.
On the JV level, they seem to be able to hear, process, then execute only about 40% of what gets barked at them. On the frosh level, that goes down to a mere 25%.
That amounts to a lot of ineffective barking by a coach who thinks that s/he can realistically coach a game by constantly barking orders from the bench area.
Any one else find that to be true?
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 10:28pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
You work at a place that makes equine condoms? Cool.

TrojanHorse: You gave us a real easy straight line. I wanted to post before Mark Padgett logged on to the Forum. If I didn't do it, he certainly would have, and he's always a step, or two, quicker than me. Remember, I get paid dozens of pennies to be this funny.
Thanks for not posting a picture!
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

Nice one BillyMac, You kinda get used to it but its all in fun. If you got jokes, share em.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 10:36pm

Quote:
I know they are because, well I was that person. I officiated my way through college, enjoying every bit of it. I got my degree, moved cities and got a job teaching. My father in law as a assistant principal had a coach quit 1 day before the season and knew I would be interested. Thus I entered the "dark side". I still wanted so much to be an official, so i tried my very best from my little box. As you can imagine, being a still somewhat immature 24 year old first year coach. Any of you would have run me in heartbeat. But I never did. I had a hard time adjusting. I still do. But as I approach 30 I think i am a bit wiser and now know I did not do my teams any service by being a ***. This year I have refocused myself and thus my team.

I would like to say that this forum helped in my maturation as i would frequent here just to read. And I am a much happier person. So I thank you all for your posts and insights. And I am even much more proud to say that this is my last year coaching, because being on this site and reading what other officials have to say had re-energized me to return to officiating.
Equine Condom,

You'll find that having been a coach, you will have an advantage when you enter the officiating world. The reverse is also true, too.

As you know, coaches appreciate a ref who is in position, even if there is a difference in opinion on a play. Each game is a new game: no holdovers from a previous game. And T up persistent, profane, or personal.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

Based on some condom jokes, I guess our school should adopt the phase, "Where the big boys play"

but you are right. I appreciate when officials worked the game as if it is the biggest game they have ever officiated. A great official in our area who worked the Barcelona games told me once, "Work every game as its the biggest game you have ever worked. It doesnt matter if its middle school, high school, girls boys. The kids are not going to play with any less effort" I had the pleasure of working my very first varsity game with him. Great time, great experience. He told me to keep it up, and I would be able to move up as far as I wanted. What the hell was I thinking to start coaching.