The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 28, 2008, 08:03pm
Official Forum Member

Injury sub for lost contact lens?

Girls varsity. A1 is fouled while shooting. Before administering the free throws, she tells the officials that she lost a contact lens. After hunting, it is not found. She stays in the game. First free throw hits the backboard with a thud, not even close to the rim. Second hits the rim...but not close.

Team B gets the rebound, starts a fast break and scores. On next possession, A1 is again fouled in the act of shooting. Before she shoots the free throws, head coach of A asks to replace A1 because she has lost a contact lens and cannot see. We allowed the substitution and before administering, tell B coach of the decision. He had no problem. (Sub missed both free throws).

The allowance for a sub to replace an injured player before a free throw (8-2) makes no mention of not being able to see the basket. Did we handle it properly?
Old Sun Dec 28, 2008, 08:15pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Three Blind Mice ...

For liability reasons, if the coach says that she can't see, then she can't see. However, she's not coming back into my game until she gets a contact lens into her eye.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Dec 28, 2008, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStateRef View Post
Girls varsity. A1 is fouled while shooting. Before administering the free throws, she tells the officials that she lost a contact lens. After hunting, it is not found. She stays in the game. First free throw hits the backboard with a thud, not even close to the rim. Second hits the rim...but not close.

Team B gets the rebound, starts a fast break and scores. On next possession, A1 is again fouled in the act of shooting. Before she shoots the free throws, head coach of A asks to replace A1 because she has lost a contact lens and cannot see. We allowed the substitution and before administering, tell B coach of the decision. He had no problem. (Sub missed both free throws).

The allowance for a sub to replace an injured player before a free throw (8-2) makes no mention of not being able to see the basket. Did we handle it properly?
That's a good question, and I think that you have to allow the sub. There is something wrong with the player. IMO that permits the coach to sub.
Old Sun Dec 28, 2008, 08:42pm
We don't rent pigs

I don't see poor vision as a reason for the sub. I also think the argument would have more merit if it was made immediately instead of after the player had already missed her first 2 free throws.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Dec 28, 2008, 09:35pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Yes; allow the sub.
Old Mon Dec 29, 2008, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

I had a frosh game about 10 days ago, and the 3rd quarter ended with a hard foul on a player shooting outside the circle (dumb foul). The kid went down in a heap and was obviously in some pain.

When he was up off the floor, the coach asked whether a sub could shoot the free throws. I said yes, but it could not be one of the other 4 who were on the floor when the foul occurred. So he sent somebody in.

Immediately the other coach starts whining about allowing a sub to shoot. I explained that the player who was fouled was injured, and by rule his sub must shoot the FT's.

After we shot them, he was whining about whether the kid who had been fouled was done for the rest of the game.

Oh, did I mention that the whining coach lost by about 30 points? Probably thought it was my fault...
Old Mon Dec 29, 2008, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

I would let her sub out, however, I would make sure she had her contacts in if she returned.
Old Mon Dec 29, 2008, 10:00am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
I would let her sub out, however, I would make sure she had her contacts in if she returned.
Gonna do an eye exam on the court?
Old Mon Dec 29, 2008, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

If the coach says the player is unable to play due to being disabled, I am going to take their word for it. It is too big of a liability if I "require" the player to stay in the game. However, if the player sits down for two seconds and then wants to report as a substitute directly after the freethrows (and of course once they sit a tick), the coach and I probably will has a heart-to-heart about my suspicions of unsportsmanlike acts committed by him.

-Josh
Old Mon Dec 29, 2008, 10:56am
#thereferee99

Wait!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
That would set a dangerous precedent. Officials should never be seen in the same room with an eye chart.
Old Mon Dec 29, 2008, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by referee99 View Post
That would set a dangerous precedent. Officials should never be seen in the same room with an eye chart.
Thanks for the humor. Just brightened my morning!

-Josh
Old Mon Dec 29, 2008, 11:00am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by referee99 View Post
What eye chart?
Old Mon Dec 29, 2008, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
If she tells me that I'm good looking, she going back to the bench.
Old Mon Dec 29, 2008, 11:22am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
If the coach says the player is unable to play due to being disabled, I am going to take their word for it. It is too big of a liability if I "require" the player to stay in the game. However, if the player sits down for two seconds and then wants to report as a substitute directly after the freethrows (and of course once they sit a tick), the coach and I probably will has a heart-to-heart about my suspicions of unsportsmanlike acts committed by him.

-Josh
Good call Josh. I had a case last season where a coach was clearly trying to influence the game not intended by the rules via the table crew, and the table crew didn't know how to handle the situation. I had a heart-to-heart with him. I had previously learned (from him) that he is also an official in his home board. He didn't say boo when I was done with him. He also didn't say anything after that either. He got the point very loud and clear. The heart-to-heart approach definitely works!
Old Mon Dec 29, 2008, 11:23am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Good call Josh. I had a case last season where a coach was clearly trying to influence the game not intended by the rules via the table crew, and the table crew didn't know how to handle the situation. I had a heart-to-heart with him. I had previously learned (from him) that he is also an official in his home board. He didn't say boo when I was done with him. He also didn't say anything after that either. He got the point very loud and clear. The heart-to-heart approach definitely works!
Can you give more details? This seems interesting.