The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 12, 2003, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

Question

We had a situation in our game last night where a player lost a contact lens while being fouled. I know that the rule says that a timeout is not to be charged to his team, while the lens is replaced, but how long do we allow for the eye lens to be replaced? The player had to go to the locker room in order to get the contact solution, etc.

Should the player have been replaced? Or are we to allow him to get his contact fixed and return to shoot his foul shots? Incidently, the game is in overtime, if that makes a difference.
Old Wed Feb 12, 2003, 05:33pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by NYBAREF
We had a situation in our game last night where a player lost a contact lens while being fouled. I know that the rule says that a timeout is not to be charged to his team, while the lens is replaced, but how long do we allow for the eye lens to be replaced? The player had to go to the locker room in order to get the contact solution, etc.

Should the player have been replaced? Or are we to allow him to get his contact fixed and return to shoot his foul shots? Incidently, the game is in overtime, if that makes a difference.
I would have had the player replaced if the player could not "immediately", "shortly", "promptly" return.

Going to the lockerroom for some saline? Let's allow the sub to shoot.
Going to the bench for saline? Let's give the player an exra moment.
mick
Old Wed Feb 12, 2003, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with Mick. You protect the player (foul) you protect the player's equipment - eye glasses, contact lens displaced on the floor (official's time out).

Recovery from this time out must be immediate. I would recommend 10-30 seconds.... maybe a minute if I was feeling very generous. I would not allow the player to leave the court without sending in a substitute.