The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Contact Lens

After a game on Tuesday, I got together with some other refs of my chapter and the subject came up: What if A1 loses a contact lens during the game but there is no notation in the scorebook for A1 having a contact lens. Do you issue a "T"?

My answer was to use common sense to determine if the situation was real or a ploy by the coach. Others said it would be a "T" and that it is in the rule book. I went home and have looked through the rule book and cannot find any references to Contact Lens and stopping a game to find a lost one or that players who wear them should be noted in the scorebook.

If anyone knows of any references about a contact lens in the rule or case book, please let me know.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

I tried to do a search for the meaning of the acronym of O O O, but I couldn't find it. Can somebody please tell me what that means, I know it's overly something official, but i can't remember what the second O means.

THanks,
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref in PA
After a game on Tuesday, I got together with some other refs of my chapter and the subject came up: What if A1 loses a contact lens during the game but there is no notation in the scorebook for A1 having a contact lens. Do you issue a "T"?

My answer was to use common sense to determine if the situation was real or a ploy by the coach. Others said it would be a "T" and that it is in the rule book. I went home and have looked through the rule book and cannot find any references to Contact Lens and stopping a game to find a lost one or that players who wear them should be noted in the scorebook.

If anyone knows of any references about a contact lens in the rule or case book, please let me know.
Issue a T?? For what?
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

it is right there where they list over the back and traveling being the signal for a throw in violation
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:

So if the "contact lens" column in the scorebook is not marked yes or no at 10 minutes before the game do we have an administrative T? Would that be just 1 T for both eyes or 1 T per eye? What if a player is discovered to not be wearing his contact lens once the game starts even though the scorebook says he's wearing them? Is that a T? If he's wearing tinted contact lenses do they have to be white, black or the predominant uniform color?
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
So if the "contact lens" column in the scorebook is not marked yes or no at 10 minutes before the game do we have an administrative T? Would that be just 1 T for both eyes or 1 T per eye? What if a player is discovered to not be wearing his contact lens once the game starts even though the scorebook says he's wearing them? Is that a T? If he's wearing tinted contact lenses do they have to be white, black or the predominant uniform color?
and how big can the logo be on the lense??
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmathews
and how big can the logo be on the lense??
Good question!

And... must they be soft lenses or can the old fashioned hard lenses be used?
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTheRef
I tried to do a search for the meaning of the acronym of O O O, but I couldn't find it. Can somebody please tell me what that means, I know it's overly something official, but i can't remember what the second O means.

THanks,
Overly Officious Oaf.

Doesn't apply here, though.

YGTBSM seems to work, though, as does VI.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTheRef

THanks,
Overly Offic-hish Official?
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Overly Officious Oaf.

wert
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Overly Officious Oaf.

Veeeery Interesting...

...BUT SCHTUPID!
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

I take it from these responses that contact lenses are not mentioned anywhere - I could not find it. These refs were saying it is a delay of game technical to search for a lens if the player was not marked in the book as having them - like an unauthorized time out.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I take it from these responses that contact lenses are not mentioned anywhere - I could not find it. These refs were saying it is a delay of game technical to search for a lens if the player was not marked in the book as having them - like an unauthorized time out.
These refs were ridiculous - unless there is some state-issued ruling requiring this notation.

And if that's the case, what good does said notation do?

Stupid.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think someone is yanking your chain...
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj
I think someone is yanking your chain...
Not really.

The other night I was over at the table going over the books when the official scorer asks me if I want him to put a mark next to each players name that wears contacts. Since I have this "what in the he11 are you even talking about" look on my face, he gives me the logic. Says the last couple of refs have asked him to make this notation.