Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 29, 2008, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
What eye chart?
That's the thig that has a big E on the top... so they say... we, of course can't see well enough to prove it.

[QUOTE=Indianref; Gonna do an eye exam on the court?
If she tells me that I'm good looking, she going back to the bench.

If she tells me I'm good looking, she won't commit another foul the rest of the night and is going to get fouled every time anyone comes anywhere near her!!!

Last edited by refnrev; Mon Dec 29, 2008 at 09:35pm.
Old Mon Dec 29, 2008, 09:18pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Anyone see the Georgetown/UConn game tonight?

Late in the second half with Georgetown up the entire game and UConn making a run, a Georgetown player had a contact lens malfunction that went on for an extended period of time. I saw this incident late in the game stoppage (flipping channels ya know), and don't know if a TO was called. But the announcers said if this "game stoppage" went on any longer Jim Calhoun was going to go nuts. The player managed to fix his lens and stay in the game. Coincidence or not, the UConn run ended and Georgetown pulled away for an easy eleven point victory.....

A timely post on the subject!
Old Mon Dec 29, 2008, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Anyone see the Georgetown/UConn game tonight?

Late in the second half with Georgetown up the entire game and UConn making a run, a Georgetown player had a contact lens malfunction that went on for an extended period of time. I saw this incident late in the game stoppage (flipping channels ya know), and don't know if a TO was called. But the announcers said if this "game stoppage" went on any longer Jim Calhoun was going to go nuts. The player managed to fix his lens and stay in the game. Coincidence or not, the UConn run ended and Georgetown pulled away for an easy eleven point victory.....

A timely post on the subject!
Yep, watched the whole game from start to finish. The contact lens situation occurred early in the second half. Monroe, G'town's big man, caught a stray finger in the eye from a UConn player which dislodged his lens. There wasn't a foul on the play, so perhaps both teams got a little something from the situation. The officials were correctly patient with Monroe and a trainer trying to get his lens back in. Probably took about two minutes. No time-out was taken or charged.
Play resumed with Monroe in the game, but his contact lens still wasn't right, and he came out shortly thereafter to clean it up and reinsert it while on the bench.

The situation was well-handled.
Old Mon Dec 29, 2008, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA specifically addresses lost/displaced lenses and gives the teams some leeway to get the situation rectified (NCAA 5-14-1b,c).

The only reference in NF is in 5-11-3 Exception a.

NF does not give any protocol for the situation. In any case the time elapsed before resuming play must be minimized.

Once play is resumed the situation is over. If the player/coach decides player can continue without the lenses so be it. The only rule set aside is that no timeout is charged. No other rules can be set aside such as substitution, etc.

I would not let the player substitute under the original sitch.

1. The player voluntarily said she was OK to play without the lenses. A player who chooses voluntarily to not wear his corrective lenses is NOT an injured player and may not use that excuse to circumvent the rules.

2. The player continued to play.
a. She shot free throws.
b. She played defense.
c. She played offense again.
d. She saw well enough to catch the ball.
e. She saw well enough to take another shot and was fouled.

She can see well enough to shoot her own free throws and be subbed according to regular substitution requirements.
Old Tue Dec 30, 2008, 06:23am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl H. Long View Post
The only reference in NF is in 5-11-3 Exception a.

NF does not give any protocol for the situation. In any case the time elapsed before resuming play must be minimized.
A1 twists her ankle going up for a rebound. Ball goes the other way and B1 scores. A1 still down. As we have discussed many times, let the play conclude, etc.

At that point I know the ref "should" call a TO, but, must he? At what point do you say, "Coach, do you want a TO?" At what point do you deem your TO excessive and charge it to Team A? If you call a TO and the coach comes on to the court, the player must come out, do you give the coach a TO then? Just curious.
Old Tue Dec 30, 2008, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
At that point I know the ref "should" call a TO, but, must he? At what point do you say, "Coach, do you want a TO?" At what point do you deem your TO excessive and charge it to Team A? If you call a TO and the coach comes on to the court, the player must come out, do you give the coach a TO then? Just curious.
Call an official time out for the coach to attend to the player. At that point the coach must decide what to do: for the player to continue playing, the coach must take a time out, and the player must be ready to play at the end of it. Otherwise, the coach can put in a sub without calling a team time out.
Old Tue Dec 30, 2008, 09:42am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
The situation was well-handled.
I would have thought the powers that be would want an injury sub at this point. Two minute delay?

In a high school game, they're giving me a sub and we're playing on.
Old Tue Dec 30, 2008, 10:05am
Official & Member

I also watched the entire UConn/GU game and thought the delay was absurd. It did in fact douse Conn.'s run and created an advantage for GU.

30 seconds or even a minute I can understand, but this seemed inordinate in the amount of time GU was allowed without using a TO.

Not sure of the exact NCAA interp for this situation, but I doubt that it happened as intended.
Old Tue Dec 30, 2008, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

I watched this game also, fast pace game, both teams were up and down the court. I'm bet the officials appreciating the break.
Old Tue Dec 30, 2008, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I would have thought the powers that be would want an injury sub at this point. Two minute delay?

In a high school game, they're giving me a sub and we're playing on.
NFHS
5-11-3 exception a
Old Tue Dec 30, 2008, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
I watched this game also, fast pace game, both teams were up and down the court. I'm bet the officials appreciating the break.
Georgetown isn't as deliberate as they were last season, but this game was certainly not fast-paced. The final score was 74-63. That's only 137 total points. UConn had been averaging over 80.

I watched several possessions by both teams that went under ten seconds on the shot clock. In the final ten minutes Georgetown was very slow to bring the ball up the court. Several times the Trail official was covering the play while walking.
Old Tue Dec 30, 2008, 06:39pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Where's My Eye? May I Have Some Time To Find It ???

This time it's not, "Where's my contact lens?":

Yahoo! Video Detail for Allan Ray gets his eye poked out
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Dec 31, 2008 at 06:02pm.
Old Tue Dec 30, 2008, 07:12pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
NFHS
5-11-3 exception a
This addresses whether a timeout must be charged if a player requests one due to his lense being displaced. It says nothing about allowing time to elapse without a TO.
Old Thu Jan 01, 2009, 02:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
This addresses whether a timeout must be charged if a player requests one due to his lense being displaced. It says nothing about allowing time to elapse without a TO.
If you have a rule that says not to charge the team with a time-out EVEN THOUGH ONE WAS REQUESTED because it was due to a displaced lens, then you certainly aren't going to charge them with a time-out when they didn't request one.

It seems to me that this is a true game management situation. In the absence of a clear rule detailing how much time a player gets to remedy the situation, the referee must make a determination of what is a reasonable amount of time to allow before resuming play with or without that player.
Old Thu Jan 01, 2009, 11:27am
Esteemed Forum Member

Shoe Laces ???

There is no NFHS rule that deals specifically with untied shoes, so during a live ball, especially with the clock running, I just let them keep playing until the ball becomes dead, and/or, the clock stops. I guess that the NFHS feels that if a player's shoes become untied, that the player will be smart enough to stop playing, thus preventing an injury. Even so, I'm always anxious to get to a point where I can allow the player some time to get the shoes tied. Which leads me to my question. Is there a NFHS rule that allows me to stop the game, during a dead ball (made basket), or when the clock is stopped, to give some time to a player to get his shoes tied? 2-3? Common sense? Spirit and purpose?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Jan 01, 2009 at 02:02pm.