The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Sun Dec 28, 2008, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,842
Coach or first name?

If addressed already, apologies. Not a big deal. I prefer to address head coach as coach. Had a partner who swears by the first name preference. I find it a respect thing, and prefer saying coach in front of players, etc. I can't imagine yelling "That's enough Earl".

Opinions?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Sun Dec 28, 2008, 03:48pm
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 28,882
I will refer to a coach by their first name if I know the first names of both coaches. Other than that, I call them "Coach" or never use their last name. Usually I do not know the names of the coaches very well (for both at the same time). Also I only like to call a coach by their first name if I am talking to them one on one.

Peace
__________________
"When the phone does not ring, the assignor is calling."
--Black

Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Sun Dec 28, 2008, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 14,465
Time for your meds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
If addressed already, apologies. Not a big deal. I prefer to address head coach as coach. Had a partner who swears by the first name preference. I find it a respect thing, and prefer saying coach in front of players, etc. I can't imagine yelling "That's enough Earl".

Opinions?
Yeah, it's been discussed before, and YOU even participated in one of these threads!

Q from 1st Year: Coaches who call you by name...

Calling coaches by name.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Sun Dec 28, 2008, 03:49pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Near Dog River (sorta)
Posts: 8,557
At camp I was taught to always use "coach".

Then one game an official was injured and an evaluator/clinician actually filled in. It was good because we were afforded the opportunity to see how a higher up does the game.

This higher up used the coaches' first name. So now the rooks are rightfully confused. It was a case of the fill-in knowing the coach for years of officiating his games. So your area might be like that, too: where the old boys do what they want.

I've found that coaches are respectable if you work hard, and before or after the game, respond well to using their first name. During the game, if I have to do my job, it's always "coach".

I think it's a When in Rome thing, with most areas leaning to using 'coach'.
__________________
Pope Francis
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Sun Dec 28, 2008, 03:51pm
9/11 - Never Forget
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 5,638
Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Yep, this has been discussed many times. Comes down to personal preference. Some like it others don't. Familiarity with the coach, etc.

I'm with you though. Doesn't matter if I've coached with them, my kids went to school with them their entire lives, or their my neighbor. When I step on the court, I prefer to call them coach and not use their first name.

I was also taught to introduce myself and my partner to the players and coaches as Mr. and not use first names. JMO......you'll certainly get others.
__________________
There was the person who sent ten puns to friends, with the hope that at least one of the puns would make them laugh. No pun in ten did.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Sun Dec 28, 2008, 04:01pm
Aleve Titles to Others
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: East Westchester of the Southern Conference
Posts: 5,386
Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
If I know both coaches well enough, I will use first names on occasion. But, you can never go wrong addressing HCs as 'coach'.
__________________
Never hit a piñata if you see hornets flying out of it.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Sun Dec 28, 2008, 04:59pm
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
I was also taught to introduce myself and my partner to the players and coaches as Mr. and not use first names. JMO......you'll certainly get others.
I used to do this as well with the players. Intros to coaches have always been first names, but when I was in Iowa I was Mr. Snaqwells and my partner was Mr. Partnerman. Here, however, all my partners have gone with first names to players also, so I'll do the same.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Sun Dec 28, 2008, 05:05pm
certified Hot Mom tester
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: only in my own mind, such as it is
Posts: 12,918
Talking

I always call the coach, "Coach", however sometimes it comes out "Crotch". Depends on my mood at the time.
__________________
Yom HaShoah
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Sun Dec 28, 2008, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Yeah, it's been discussed before, and YOU even participated in one of these threads!

Q from 1st Year: Coaches who call you by name...

Calling coaches by name.

Padgett...........where's your pillbox!!!
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Sun Dec 28, 2008, 05:11pm
Courageous When Prudent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 13,372
I don't address any coaches or players by name during games. Coaches are "Coach", and players are numbers.

I called a T on an assistant last week who used to teach my oldest son in 8th grade. I reported the 'T' to the table as "technical foul on the assistant coach with the gold tie" even though I knew his last name.

I don't want the slightest inference by anyone that I may be too familiar or personal with any participant. That just how I prefer to handle things.
__________________
A-hole formerly known as BNR

Last edited by Raymond; Sun Dec 28, 2008 at 06:43pm.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Sun Dec 28, 2008, 05:27pm
Aleve Titles to Others
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: East Westchester of the Southern Conference
Posts: 5,386
Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
I always call the coach, "Coach", however sometimes it comes out "Crotch". Depends on my mood at the time.
The latter if you're feeling 'crotchety', I suppose.
__________________
Never hit a piñata if you see hornets flying out of it.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Sun Dec 28, 2008, 07:37pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Menifee,CA
Posts: 851
Addressing Coaches

Hey Guys,
As a scorekeeper in Southern California I go by this rule when interacting with coaches during a game-

My school's coaches:
Varsity Boys-Just call him and assistant Coach (Insert Last Name)!
Varsity Girls-First Name Basis

Other School's Coaches-Applicable only when I am only book for that game or when visiting book cannot get their benches attention:
First Name Basis and if not heard go to Coach (Insert Last Name)!
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Sun Dec 28, 2008, 08:40pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Near Dog River (sorta)
Posts: 8,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I don't address any coaches or players by name during games. Coaches are "Coach", and players are numbers.

I called a T on an assistant last week who used to teach my oldest son in 8th grade. I reported the 'T' to the table as "technical foul on the assistant coach with the gold tie" even though I knew his last name.

I don't want the slightest inference by anyone that I may be too familiar or personal with any participant. That just how I prefer to handle things.
But it is unlikely that the assistant coach's name is on the score sheet. If you used his name, the scorekeeper would be confused and you'd just have to clarify anyways. However, any scorekeeper can write down "Assistant Coach" with a T beside that label.

It's like keeping a database normalized. If all records are accurate, the name of the AC isn't needed in cases of further discipline.
__________________
Pope Francis
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Sun Dec 28, 2008, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,172
Quote:
I will refer to a coach by their first name if I know the first names of both coaches.
This is bad advice. I know the first names of 80% of the varsity coaches around where I work and I would never call any by their first name on the court or in front of any other coach. I have 2 pretty good friends that are head coaches that I talk to semi-regularly and even if they played each other (which would be odd, since one coaches boys and the other girls), I would still address both as "Coach" on the court.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Sun Dec 28, 2008, 09:47pm
mj mj is offline
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
This is bad advice. I know the first names of 80% of the varsity coaches around where I work and I would never call any by their first name on the court or in front of any other coach. I have 2 pretty good friends that are head coaches that I talk to semi-regularly and even if they played each other (which would be odd, since one coaches boys and the other girls), I would still address both as "Coach" on the court.
You could debate this all day. I'm on the other end of the stick, I call them by name. I make it a point to find out their name before the game (either online or a game program). I don't like being called 'sir' or 'ref' so that's why I made the decision that I would call them by their first name.

I'm sure if you ask the coaches what they prefer about 1/3 could care less, 1/3 prefer coach and the last third prefer their first name.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Coach goes after visiting coach texaspaul Basketball 2 Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:17pm
Bad coach, good coach BuggBob Softball 21 Wed Jul 11, 2007 06:54pm
Foul B1 , T on coach, another T and coach exits jritchie Basketball 15 Wed Nov 08, 2006 09:02pm
Coach goes after ref Jimgolf Basketball 13 Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:57pm
HEY, COACH!!! rainmaker Basketball 26 Wed Feb 09, 2005 09:50pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:04pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1