The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Coach or first name? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50576-coach-first-name.html)

fullor30 Sun Dec 28, 2008 03:41pm

Coach or first name?

If addressed already, apologies. Not a big deal. I prefer to address head coach as coach. Had a partner who swears by the first name preference. I find it a respect thing, and prefer saying coach in front of players, etc. I can't imagine yelling "That's enough Earl".

Opinions?

JRutledge Sun Dec 28, 2008 03:48pm

I will refer to a coach by their first name if I know the first names of both coaches. Other than that, I call them "Coach" or never use their last name. Usually I do not know the names of the coaches very well (for both at the same time). Also I only like to call a coach by their first name if I am talking to them one on one.

Peace

Nevadaref Sun Dec 28, 2008 03:49pm

Time for your meds.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30 (Post 562156)
If addressed already, apologies. Not a big deal. I prefer to address head coach as coach. Had a partner who swears by the first name preference. I find it a respect thing, and prefer saying coach in front of players, etc. I can't imagine yelling "That's enough Earl".

Opinions?

Yeah, it's been discussed before, and YOU even participated in one of these threads! :eek:

http://forum.officiating.com/basketb...-you-name.html

http://forum.officiating.com/basketb...ches-name.html

JugglingReferee Sun Dec 28, 2008 03:49pm

At camp I was taught to always use "coach".

Then one game an official was injured and an evaluator/clinician actually filled in. It was good because we were afforded the opportunity to see how a higher up does the game.

This higher up used the coaches' first name. So now the rooks are rightfully confused. It was a case of the fill-in knowing the coach for years of officiating his games. So your area might be like that, too: where the old boys do what they want.

I've found that coaches are respectable if you work hard, and before or after the game, respond well to using their first name. During the game, if I have to do my job, it's always "coach".

I think it's a When in Rome thing, with most areas leaning to using 'coach'.

grunewar Sun Dec 28, 2008 03:51pm

Yep, this has been discussed many times. Comes down to personal preference. Some like it others don't. Familiarity with the coach, etc.

I'm with you though. Doesn't matter if I've coached with them, my kids went to school with them their entire lives, or their my neighbor. When I step on the court, I prefer to call them coach and not use their first name.

I was also taught to introduce myself and my partner to the players and coaches as Mr. and not use first names. JMO......you'll certainly get others.

26 Year Gap Sun Dec 28, 2008 04:01pm

If I know both coaches well enough, I will use first names on occasion. But, you can never go wrong addressing HCs as 'coach'.

Adam Sun Dec 28, 2008 04:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 562160)
I was also taught to introduce myself and my partner to the players and coaches as Mr. and not use first names. JMO......you'll certainly get others.

I used to do this as well with the players. Intros to coaches have always been first names, but when I was in Iowa I was Mr. Snaqwells and my partner was Mr. Partnerman. Here, however, all my partners have gone with first names to players also, so I'll do the same.

Mark Padgett Sun Dec 28, 2008 05:05pm

I always call the coach, "Coach", however sometimes it comes out "Crotch". Depends on my mood at the time.

fullor30 Sun Dec 28, 2008 05:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 562158)
Yeah, it's been discussed before, and YOU even participated in one of these threads! :eek:

http://forum.officiating.com/basketb...-you-name.html

http://forum.officiating.com/basketb...ches-name.html

Padgett...........where's your pillbox!!!:eek:

Raymond Sun Dec 28, 2008 05:11pm

I don't address any coaches or players by name during games. Coaches are "Coach", and players are numbers.

I called a T on an assistant last week who used to teach my oldest son in 8th grade. I reported the 'T' to the table as "technical foul on the assistant coach with the gold tie" even though I knew his last name.

I don't want the slightest inference by anyone that I may be too familiar or personal with any participant. That just how I prefer to handle things.

26 Year Gap Sun Dec 28, 2008 05:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 562181)
I always call the coach, "Coach", however sometimes it comes out "Crotch". Depends on my mood at the time.

The latter if you're feeling 'crotchety', I suppose.:p

SCalScoreKeeper Sun Dec 28, 2008 07:37pm

Addressing Coaches

Hey Guys,
As a scorekeeper in Southern California I go by this rule when interacting with coaches during a game-

My school's coaches:
Varsity Boys-Just call him and assistant Coach (Insert Last Name)!
Varsity Girls-First Name Basis

Other School's Coaches-Applicable only when I am only book for that game or when visiting book cannot get their benches attention:
First Name Basis and if not heard go to Coach (Insert Last Name)!

JugglingReferee Sun Dec 28, 2008 08:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 562184)
I don't address any coaches or players by name during games. Coaches are "Coach", and players are numbers.

I called a T on an assistant last week who used to teach my oldest son in 8th grade. I reported the 'T' to the table as "technical foul on the assistant coach with the gold tie" even though I knew his last name.

I don't want the slightest inference by anyone that I may be too familiar or personal with any participant. That just how I prefer to handle things.

But it is unlikely that the assistant coach's name is on the score sheet. If you used his name, the scorekeeper would be confused and you'd just have to clarify anyways. However, any scorekeeper can write down "Assistant Coach" with a T beside that label.

It's like keeping a database normalized. If all records are accurate, the name of the AC isn't needed in cases of further discipline.

Texas Aggie Sun Dec 28, 2008 09:34pm

Quote:

I will refer to a coach by their first name if I know the first names of both coaches.
This is bad advice. I know the first names of 80% of the varsity coaches around where I work and I would never call any by their first name on the court or in front of any other coach. I have 2 pretty good friends that are head coaches that I talk to semi-regularly and even if they played each other (which would be odd, since one coaches boys and the other girls), I would still address both as "Coach" on the court.

mj Sun Dec 28, 2008 09:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas Aggie (Post 562265)
This is bad advice. I know the first names of 80% of the varsity coaches around where I work and I would never call any by their first name on the court or in front of any other coach. I have 2 pretty good friends that are head coaches that I talk to semi-regularly and even if they played each other (which would be odd, since one coaches boys and the other girls), I would still address both as "Coach" on the court.

You could debate this all day. I'm on the other end of the stick, I call them by name. I make it a point to find out their name before the game (either online or a game program). I don't like being called 'sir' or 'ref' so that's why I made the decision that I would call them by their first name.

I'm sure if you ask the coaches what they prefer about 1/3 could care less, 1/3 prefer coach and the last third prefer their first name.