The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 20, 2008, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

Coaches/Captains sell out by the R

Help me out here. I am working a Varsity girls game. R is a veteran official. During warm ups both teams have 4 different colored hair wraps.( This is a POE for our Association this year. We were informed to enforce this,period) So I mentioned to the R that I have 11 players, one has an illegal knee brace, and we need to address the hair wrap issue.
He states " the knee brace is hard plastic with metal, what's wrong with that? They're all made like that? And we'll give them a warning for the hair wrap, I'm not gonna enforce it tonite.
My response " the knee brace is illegal and it's the 7th game of the season for these teams, so we get to be selective on what we enforce with illegal uniforms?"
We got to coaches captain meeting and the R does his "speel" he then says "Coaches I know the ladies are not properly equipted tonite, J please explain the headband/uniform rule". Being caught off guard, I explained " dominant uniform color,black,white, or tan".
He then says" Coaches now that you know this, this is going to upset J, but consider this a warning for tonite, you need to be in proper uniform by next game".
So as we leave the meeting I ask" why did you bring it up if you're not going to enforce it?"
His comment " so they know for next time".
I feel the veteran sold me out to the coaches and put me on the spot. Give me feedback? I'm pretty ticked about it still.
Old Sun Dec 21, 2008, 12:03am
Official Forum Member

It's not just your association's POE, it's a Fed POE.

As far as your partner, yes, I would be PO'd too. I've never done it before but if I were you I'd call my assignor and request not to work with this guy anymore. "So they know next time", which means "Let someone else decide if they want to enforce it or not".
Old Sun Dec 21, 2008, 12:04am
Official Forum Member

yeah imo that was uncalled for, and by the sound of it, your partner was a bit condescending in his coaches meeting.

i'm a first year official and thankfully the assignor is also my mentor, so if anyone pulls a fastball like that, guess who's getting a phone call right after that game
Old Sun Dec 21, 2008, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaRef5 View Post
yeah imo that was uncalled for, and by the sound of it, your partner was a bit condescending in his coaches meeting.

i'm a first year official and thankfully the assignor is also my mentor, so if anyone pulls a fastball like that, guess who's getting a phone call right after that game
You definitely got hosed by your partner. Hair wraps are one thing, but you're both setting yourselves up for some serious liability if that player with the illegal knee brace gets hurt or hurts somebody else. I agree that a call to your assignor is probably the best way to go. Best case, the assignor calls the other official and tells them how they should handle illegal uniforms/equipment when they officiate in his leagues. But at the very least, you could probably ask to not work with them again.
Old Sun Dec 21, 2008, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

If I am responsible for counting players and checking equipment I take care of it as I see issues. Warm-ups are long enough that when each girl came by with illegal headwear I just say it has to go. No different than the multiple livestrong braclets kids wear on the court. Then you have taken care of your responsibilty without the opportunity for the referee to set aside rules he chooses. my .02 cents
Old Sun Dec 21, 2008, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

OK, I get that you are PO at your partner. You definetly have reason to

be. But....if your partner the R says hes not going to enforce the rules,

then go to the girls during warmup say "can I see your brace" if illegal, take

it off.... Hair wraps the same way. If your partner gets mad at you for

doing your job...oh well!! he will get over it. I would love to hear the phone

call to an assignor about you!! "Yeah!.. but he was doing my job and I got

pissed thats why I called" Just my humble opinion though..
Old Sun Dec 21, 2008, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Not much you can do other than to express your feelings to him.

I'm going to confess I did something similar a few weeks ago that I regret.

I'm the R and we are all set for the tip............."blue this way, white this way" ready to toss and suddenly the jarring horn from the table and scorer is calling me over. One team had their numbers completely wrong in book, wrong starters, wrong everything. As a crew we huddle, I say great way to start a game with a technical, U1 says let's pass and start the game, U2 frowns and I can tell wants to do the right thing and T them up. I pass on it.

I'll never do that again. And I'm going to apologize to U2.

It doesn't matter, but it was a very lopsided game, with two weak teams. Coaches never asked what was happening, almost to the point of indifference. That said, it wasn't right.

There, I said it and I feel better.
Old Sun Dec 21, 2008, 11:13am
Huck Finn

Your partner was a jerk and threw you under the bus! As soon as he asked you to explain or whatever, you should have took the pregame meeting over.

Someone else mentioned it, but you should have just told the girls to take off the illegal headbands. Being the fashion police is getting pretty old, but it is what it is.
Old Sun Dec 21, 2008, 11:15am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
Your partner was a jerk and threw you under the bus! As soon as he asked you to explain or whatever, you should have took the pregame meeting over.

Someone else mentioned it, but you should have just told the girls to take off the illegal headbands. Being the fashion police is getting pretty old, but it is what it is.
Being the R doesn't make one the decider on which rules are going to be followed or ignored. I'd tell the kids to take off the illegal equipment regardless of what that guy said.

(As the R I also can't imagine trying to be like this knowing I need my partners to have my back for the entire game.)
Old Sun Dec 21, 2008, 11:23am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Being the R doesn't make one the decider on which rules are going to be followed or ignored. I'd tell the kids to take off the illegal equipment regardless of what that guy said.

(As the R I also can't imagine trying to be like this knowing I need my partners to have my back for the entire game.)
Rich, I'm assuming you quoted me because you agree with what I said because I agree with what you are saying. I hope I didn't say something that might be taken the wrong way.
Old Sun Dec 21, 2008, 11:31am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
Rich, I'm assuming you quoted me because you agree with what I said because I agree with what you are saying. I hope I didn't say something that might be taken the wrong way.
I was just agreeing with you. Sorry for not being clear.
Old Sun Dec 21, 2008, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrs_schuster View Post
OK, I get that you are PO at your partner. You definetly have reason to

be. But....if your partner the R says hes not going to enforce the rules,

then go to the girls during warmup say "can I see your brace" is illegal, take

it off....
Hair wraps the same way. If your partner gets mad at you for

doing your job...oh well!! he will get over it. I would love to hear the phone

call to an assignor about you!! "Yeah!.. but he was doing my job and I got

pissed thats why I called" Just my humble opinion though..

Chris,
everything is good except what is in BOLD. I personally would not use that verbiage.

I say something along the lines of: I see you have an illegal knee brace on, either cover the metal hinges with the sleeve or you will not be able to play.
Old Sun Dec 21, 2008, 01:27pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Or, Out Of My Keyboard ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie View Post
I see you have an illegal knee brace on, either cover the metal hinges with the sleeve or you will not be able to play.
truerookie: You took the words right out of my mouth.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Dec 21, 2008, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
I'm going to confess I did something similar a few weeks ago that I regret.

I'll never do that again. And I'm going to apologize to U2.

There, I said it and I feel better.
I believe no one can be harder on yourself then yourself about this so its all good.

Having said that I'm in the U2's spot ALOT.

Rant ON ::::

Why is there so much concern about enforcing the rules, its like I'm working for the UN, everybody's concerned about everything except the rules. I am just starting my Varsity part of this whole deal and the excuses from the other officials for not taking care of pregame dunks, wrong numbers in the books, coaches behaving badly, etc is just beyond appalling. And this coming from someone who spent lots of time in mosh pits.

If i have a partner call and apologize i would fall on the floor in convulsions and work the rest of the year for free, maybe.

Takes a big man to admit when you were wrong and apologize-my hat is off to you.
Old Sun Dec 21, 2008, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

I really didnt mean to say that to girls, what I meant was to have them take it off. "or sleeve it". Just worded it wrong I guess.....