The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

What do you talk about in the coaches/ captains meetings?

I keep the captains meeting short. Everyone seems to have their own pet peeves. I talk about the boundry lines, addressing me and my partner, taking care of the coach. Seems like most of the time I am talking to a brick wall.
Some partners start going over the rules, expalining what is considered jewelry, etc...

With coaches I ask two questions...Are all your players properly equiped, do you have any questions for me.

Suggestions?
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 05:03pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by Dudly
What do you talk about in the coaches/ captains meetings?

I keep the captains meeting short. Everyone seems to have their own pet peeves. I talk about the boundry lines, addressing me and my partner, taking care of the coach. Seems like most of the time I am talking to a brick wall.
Some partners start going over the rules, expalining what is considered jewelry, etc...

With coaches I ask two questions...Are all your players properly equiped, do you have any questions for me.

Suggestions?
"Ladies (or gentlemen), introduce yourselves.
Great. Sportsmanship yadda yadda yadda. help each other up yadda yadda yadda.
Have a good game."

That's about all I say because it's all they're gonna hear.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

Book at 12 minutes, captains at 6, coaches at 2.

Captains meeting is, "I'm Mr...this is Mr/Ms..., who are the speaking captains, you are who we want to hear from if something comes up, we are emphasizing sportsmanship so step up and handle your teammates for us, questions, have fun."

Coaches, "Are your players properly equipted, sportsmanship is key, so please handle your players, questions, good luck."
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

In Iowa, we have the captains and head coaches at 12 minutes. "This is Mr. xxx and I am Mr. xxx, we will be your officials tonight. Sportsmanship is a priority of the athletic union. As captains and coaches please have good sportsmanship. Black line (or whatever color) all the way around, keep your hands off the dribblers, straight up on rebounds, and have a great game." Takes 10-15 seconds and takes care of everything.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Please tell me that you guys don't tell them where the boundary lines are! Do you also say, "This is the ball we'll be playing with tonight."?

No wonder kids think we're idiots!
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MJT
In Iowa, we have the captains and head coaches at 12 minutes. "This is Mr. xxx and I am Mr. xxx, we will be your officials tonight. Sportsmanship is a priority of the athletic union. As captains and coaches please have good sportsmanship. Black line (or whatever color) all the way around, keep your hands off the dribblers, straight up on rebounds, and have a great game." Takes 10-15 seconds and takes care of everything.
Hey MJT,
Aren't we supposed to be reading the card, word for word!
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Stan
Quote:
Originally posted by MJT
Hey MJT,
Aren't we supposed to be reading the card, word for word!
I summarize a little Stan, but I get the "meat" in what I say. The meat is the only thing they will hear, if they hear anything. I don't think I would be banned for what I say.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Please tell me that you guys don't tell them where the boundary lines are! Do you also say, "This is the ball we'll be playing with tonight."?

Some of the gyms have other colored lines close to the BB boundaries, so doesn't hurt to clarify in 1 second. We have some black, some blue, some maroon, so I think the 1 second is warrented.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 05:53pm
Official Forum Member

I stopped mentioning the boundary lines in my captains speech a while back. I also stopped telling the kids during a free throw to "relax" on the first of two. Now I just say "two" or "one" and just as many kids jump in for that rebound on the first of two as they did when I said "relax". They don't care so they don't listen. Might as well keep things moving.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 06:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MJT
Quote:

Some of the gyms have other colored lines close to the BB boundaries, so doesn't hurt to clarify in 1 second. We have some black, some blue, some maroon, so I think the 1 second is warrented.
I will say "for the visitors benefit, the OOB lines are..... home team knows their lines well.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I have been on some courts where the lines are just spaghetti there are so many. There is one gym where I have to look everytime I am there to remember which of the 5 near the sides and end line is the right one. There are vollyball lines, other basketball court lines (from the sides), and whatever....
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

After intros and handshakes. Me "Coaches are your teams legally and properly equipted?" They always say yes. Any questions? Never have any. "Have a good game." Takes about a minute.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 11:04pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by gordon30307
After intros and handshakes. Me "Coaches are your teams legally and properly equipted?" They always say yes. Any questions? Never have any. "Have a good game." Takes about a minute.
I do the same thing. I also add a "Sportsmanship Speech" which takes about 10 seconds to complete. I ask my partners "Do you have anything to add." Usually the do not and say something very short and sweet like "Good luck." They I say "Good luck and have fun." Then I dismiss them. My meeting might not take a minute.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 11, 2005, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Dudly, this is one of those topics that seems to recur quite often. Here are a couple links to recent threads:

http://www.officialforum.com/showthr...threadid=17199
http://www.officialforum.com/thread/17211
http://www.officialforum.com/showthr...470#post190470
http://www.officialforum.com/thread/7081
http://www.officialforum.com/thread/3268
Old Tue Jan 11, 2005, 11:44am
M.A.S.H.

I never ask: "Players or Coaches do you have any questions?"