The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 11:59pm
Official Forum Member

Pre-game conference with coaches & captains

I'm sure this has been discussed many times but with my first official HS season starting soon I'm interested in getting a few tips from the experts on what you say as the R during the coaches & captains meeting before tip-off. Do you follow to the letter of what your respective associations provide or do you tweak this according to style and points of emphasis? Not that my partners will even allow me to take the R once they know I'm a rookie, just in case. Thanks!
Old Tue Oct 23, 2007, 12:03am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by NURef
I'm sure this has been discussed many times but with my first official HS season starting soon I'm interested in getting a few tips from the experts on what you say as the R during the coaches & captains meeting before tip-off. Do you follow to the letter of what your respective associations provide or do you tweak this according to style and points of emphasis? Not that my partners will even allow me to take the R once they know I'm a rookie, just in case. Thanks!
Coaches -- Hi, I'm Antonia Ann, and this is my partner, Aloysius. I just need you to answer the standard two questions, are your players all legally equipped, and are you requiring them to maintain attitudes of fair play and healthy sportsmanship? Good. ANy questions? Great. Have a good game.

Captains -- Please help your teammates with their attitudes, please remeind them to remove all jewelry, clippies and barrettes. You can ask us any question politely during any dead ball. Anything else we need to discuss? Good luck, have a good game.
Old Tue Oct 23, 2007, 02:05am
Do not give a damn!!

Same order, different words.

The only thing I do every time is:
  1. Ask the coaches, "Are your player's properly equip?"
  2. Give a sportsmanship talk (required by before NF got involved)
  3. Mention court or special rules/issues that might apply to this game (this is the only thing I might not ever say)
  4. Ask my partners if they have anything to add
  5. Ask for any questions by players
  6. "Good Luck and have fun."
I will say my sportsmanship talk might change every night based on many factors (e.g. rivalries, familiar teams, respected coaches, conference game, playoffs)

I would suggest that you try to say the same thing until you get used to what you want to say and you hear other officials give their talks. Then once it becomes old hat, you might change it up. I would compare this to a sales talk if you have some background in that area. You say the same thing until you know what important points you want to cover, then it will become totally natural and easier the more you do it.

Peace
Old Tue Oct 23, 2007, 05:07am
Official Forum Member

We meet with the captains and coaches separately.
For the captains I say:
a. As little as possible. They don't listen anyway.
b. I usually remind them that this is a HS environment and that sportsmanship is a priority, so watch the language.
c. wish them good luck

For the coaches:
a. It really depends upon who the coach is.
b. ask them if their team is properly equipped and ready to go
c. ask them if they have any questions

PS If I found out that you were a rookie, you would definitely be the R. The best way to learn how to do it is by doing it. I'd certainly be there to help you though.
Old Tue Oct 23, 2007, 06:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
We meet with the captains and coaches separately.
For the captains I say:
a. As little as possible. They don't listen anyway.
b. I usually remind them that this is a HS environment and that sportsmanship is a priority, so watch the language.
c. wish them good luck

For the coaches:
a. It really depends upon who the coach is.
b. ask them if their team is properly equipped and ready to go
c. ask them if they have any questions

PS If I found out that you were a rookie, you would definitely be the R. The best way to learn how to do it is by doing it. I'd certainly be there to help you though.
We also meet with them separately, coaches first, then captains. I agree with your list, the only things I add are...........

Captains:
"We will talk to you - listen to us and it will minimize the number of whistles."

Coaches:
"We understand that coaches have to do what coaches have to do, but I'm going to ask for three things; watch your demeanor, choose your words carefully and be aware of where you are on the floor. Good luck."

The bottom line NURef, is that you need to figure out what works for you. Stick to the basics and keep it as simple as possible. JRut's list is a good place to start........
Old Tue Oct 23, 2007, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

R: "Questions?.....no? Ok, have a great game"

Thats about it.

Sometimes we'll mix in the "which end do you want to defend"?
Old Tue Oct 23, 2007, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Say as little as possible. They don't listen anyway.

Truer words were never spoken.

I've told a captain directly, to her face, in the conference, "You have a clippie that needs to be removed immediately" and then seen it on the girl a couple minutes into the game. Just get the conference over with as a formality, and deal with the reality of the game as it comes up.
Old Tue Oct 23, 2007, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

I usually go with everyone else here in the KISS method of Keep it Simple Stupid. The players usually don't hear you and the coaches are often the same.
I do say to the captains congratulations on representing your team, be sure that you and your teammates are properly equipped, they keep their shirts tucked in (big POI in Ohio this year) and that they show good sportmanship at all times. Come to me if you have any questions and have fun. Also will add if there are specific court rules such as a restraining line. Several small gyms in the city.

Coaches - Be sure your team is properly equipped, You have a Coaching box and it is marked, please be sure to stay in it and if you have a question please ask it politely.
Old Tue Oct 23, 2007, 12:26pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larks
R: "Questions?.....no? Ok, have a great game"

Thats about it.

Sometimes we'll mix in the "which end do you want to defend"?
Ha! I asked the captains at a women's game last year whether they wanted to kick, receive, or defer to the second half...one side just looked at me blankly, but the captain for the other team shot back with "What kind of an idiot would chose to kick?"
Old Tue Oct 23, 2007, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Every so often I will remind the ladies not to hang on the rim after they dunk. They usually have to think about that for a moment. I am sure the day will come eventually, but as of yet I have not had a girl dunk in a game.
Old Tue Oct 23, 2007, 12:43pm
certified Hot Mom tester

My kids rec league pregame:

"We're just here to have fun today. And remember - there's no crying in basketball."
Old Tue Oct 23, 2007, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Say as little as possible. They don't listen anyway.

Truer words were never spoken.

I've told a captain directly, to her face, in the conference, "You have a clippie that needs to be removed immediately" and then seen it on the girl a couple minutes into the game. Just get the conference over with as a formality, and deal with the reality of the game as it comes up.
I've said this before and I'll say it again here. I never order the removal of jewelery before or during a game. Rather, I point out that the player cannot play with it in; it's then up to them whether or not they do so.
Old Tue Oct 23, 2007, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaryrams
I do say to the captains congratulations on representing your team, be sure that you and your teammates are properly equipped, they keep their shirts tucked in (big POI in Ohio this year) and that they show good sportmanship at all times.
You got that too, huh? Ohio sports are going down the toilet with all the shirts hanging out and whatnot. Definitely needed a POE on that.

I'm interested to see whether PC fouls are called as much as the rules (and new interps, etc.) dictate that they should be.
Old Tue Oct 23, 2007, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
I've said this before and I'll say it again here. I never order the removal of jewelery before or during a game. Rather, I point out that the player cannot play with it in; it's then up to them whether or not they do so.
Yadda, yadda, yadda,.......
Old Tue Oct 23, 2007, 02:13pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

I had a player once tell me he "couldn't" take his earring out. I told him he didn't have to but he could still play. He looked surprised and asked me how. I told him he could leave his earring in, but he'd have to take his ear off.

And - in case you're wondering - he found a way to take off his earring. Gee, what a surprise.