The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 20, 2005, 07:46am
Official Forum Member

Does anyone have anything they include other than the obvious in pregame conferences?

OOB and division lines for visitors

Uniforms tucked in

Keep hands to yourselves

Get ball back to official after foul or violation

Speaking captains and their roles

I stole this from a partner "As you are representing your schools, Don't use any language here that you wouldn't use in the classroom"
Old Sun Mar 20, 2005, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
http://www.officialforum.com/thread/...&postid=165246

This thread has some suggestions, as well as some links to similar threads. Hope it helps.
Old Sun Mar 20, 2005, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

One thing I added this year that I seemed to have pretty good success with was to tell the players and coaches that we would gladly answer questions, but if they were complaing, throwing their arms up and such, we were going to take care of it. It seemed to help.
Old Sun Mar 20, 2005, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Hi guys, what's up, I'm Julian and that's ........

I assume you've both played here before, if not does anyone have any questions about the court and the markings?

Guys we're expecting you to be responsible for your team, if you have a question or concern address us nicely and we'll do what we can.

We expect you to be in proper uniform at all time, we won't call you in unless you're properly equipped.

Play hard and have fun.
Old Sun Mar 20, 2005, 02:41pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally posted by stmaryrams
Does anyone have anything they include other than the obvious in pregame conferences?

OOB and division lines for visitors

Uniforms tucked in

Keep hands to yourselves

Get ball back to official after foul or violation

Speaking captains and their roles

I stole this from a partner "As you are representing your schools, Don't use any language here that you wouldn't use in the classroom"
At the upper level, I wouldn't say any of those. My pregame is simple: 1) get both floor captins; tell them both if we've got anything we are coming to you, if you have anything come to us, 2) sportsmanship is the number one thing 3) coaches are your players legally equiped 4) good luck. Takes 30 seconds tops.

The ones you listed above I might say something at a 5/6th grade game or something like that.
Old Mon Mar 21, 2005, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Captains:
They never remember anything we say about rules so I just make sure they know that they are up here for a reason. That they are leaders and they are going to be held accountable in that regard.
Coaches:
Coaches box is marked
Everything from the bench comes through the head coach
Both sides are expected to communicate professionaly
I specifically don't ask them if they have any questions. Gives them a time to bring up something negative that has nothing to do with anything.
Good Luck coach(shake all coaches hands).
Old Tue Mar 22, 2005, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Smile captains meeting

(To visiting team) _____, welcome to _____.
(To all) I'm ____, this is _____, and _____.
I need a speaking captain for each team. Captains, you are leaders for your teams tonight. That means you may address us respectfully with any questions you have throughout tonights contest. Also, you know your players better than we do. If you notice them getting upset please try to get to them before we have to.
Coaches, are your teams legally and properly equipped within (MHSAA) specifications?
Will you be using the instructional boxes tonight? (All do, and often more.)We would greatly appreciate your help tonight by staying inside the lines, thank you.
(All) Please be sure we know what type of time out you want. If we are not sure, you will be charged with a full time out.
(All) Sportsmanship is all important. Treat your opponents with respect tonight and keep your conversation to your team mates.
Any questions?
(Partners, anything to add?)
Let's all work hard and have fun tonight!

This takes a minute and 1/2 max. We don't need to preach a sermon nor go over all the rules but if some things have posed a problem in the past or are points of emphasis mandated by your state or assocation (such as the ones mentioned above) you may want to mention them. I find no merit in talking about things such as court lines unless that particular court is confusing. While, in general, it seems a good idea to keep it short I think the meeting is important enough to address pertainent issues. There is no reason to see how quickly you can get through it.
Old Tue Mar 22, 2005, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

speaking captains

here is a question for everyone. If during the captains meeting 23 blue is the speaking captain, and they are on the bench at some point, does that mean you won't recognize anyone else?? With that being said, the speaking captain thing to me is a Huge waste of breath and time. I will answer any question from any player, and if I see a need to address a potential situation, I am not afraid to handle it with the player..I just mention jewelry, sportsmanship, sometimes the special court markings or situations play hard and have fun....

[Edited by cmathews on Mar 22nd, 2005 at 01:02 PM]
Old Tue Mar 22, 2005, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bballrob
What's with the legally equipped question? I've seen this in football, but basketball?
We ask this also. It's a general question to coaches regarding uniforms and numbers, legal braces, jewelery, hair clips removed (usually for the girls games), etc.
Old Tue Mar 22, 2005, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What's with the legally equipped question? I've seen this in football, but basketball?

It was a directive from the NFHS a couple of yrs. ago(I believe) available for state adoption(I think). Alleviates some legal issues I believe was the premise.
We say it here too.
AAR
Old Tue Mar 22, 2005, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

It's going in one ear and out the other.

Captains:

Introduce, shake hands, speaking captains, sportsmanship, questions, have fun. 30 seconds tops.

Coaches:

Introduce, shake hands, your box, players properly attired, sportsmanship, questions, good luck. Again, 30 seconds.
Old Tue Mar 22, 2005, 02:18pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Um, it's a rule, Rob. Specifically, NFHS rule 2-4-5--"Prior to each contest, the head coach shall verify that his/her team member's uniforms and equipment are legal and will be worn properly, and that all participants will exhibit proper sporting behavior throughout the contest".
Old Tue Mar 22, 2005, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

This is not meant to pick on ref18, I am just using this as an example for my comment.

[quote}"Hi guys, what's up, I'm Julian and that's ........"[/quote]

I've noticed in these threads about pregame as well as allowing my partner to handle the pregame that alot of refs introduce themselves by first name. "Hi, I'm Sally and this is Jim" and so on.

Am I the only one that introduces myself as Mr.

I just feel that it is this type of relaxed atmosphere that has been leading to a downfall in respect amongst our youth. I see it everywhere now. Kids calling their coaches by their first name, my kids call their Scout Master by his first name etc... It just bugs me.

< End Rant >
Old Tue Mar 22, 2005, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

"Hi, I'm_____and this is ________ (and) _________

Who are my Speaking Capts?

Any questions?

Partner(s) you got anything? (They better not!)

Play hard and Put the ball in the hole"

==================

I never did understand why guys go into this dissertation about the floor markings or if the ball hits the trapeze or rope up there, it's OOB. I learned quickly, no one, including most of the time my partner(s) are listening!

Tradition is tradition and I dont mind it but I certianly dont put a lot of time in mine. Just not important to the kids past just being selected to stand there.
Old Wed Mar 23, 2005, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Smile Captains Meeting

Thanks to you all for answering the question (correctly) about being legally equipped. It's a rule.
Some of you talk about the meeting as though it's a waste of time. It probably is if you think so.
Of course most of us would talk to any player on the court who addresses respectfully. But we don't HAVE to. One reason this is important is to be clear that we're not there to hear EVERYONES complaints/comments all game. Yes, this (mostly one way) conversation often helps take care of legal issues, as mentioned above. It can also be a useful tool in addressing problems that have been brought to the state or local associations attention (or our own) such as points of emphasis. Early in the season I sometimes give a reminder of important rule changes.
I try to say things that are meaningful and if a captain or coach is looking into space I get their attention and say, "I want you to hear this". This is also an opportunity to let them know (body language, etc.) your here to take care of business.
Yes, introductions should be Mr. or Mrs.

[Edited by stilerng on Mar 23rd, 2005 at 10:12 AM]