View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 20, 2008, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

Coaches/Captains sell out by the R

Help me out here. I am working a Varsity girls game. R is a veteran official. During warm ups both teams have 4 different colored hair wraps.( This is a POE for our Association this year. We were informed to enforce this,period) So I mentioned to the R that I have 11 players, one has an illegal knee brace, and we need to address the hair wrap issue.
He states " the knee brace is hard plastic with metal, what's wrong with that? They're all made like that? And we'll give them a warning for the hair wrap, I'm not gonna enforce it tonite.
My response " the knee brace is illegal and it's the 7th game of the season for these teams, so we get to be selective on what we enforce with illegal uniforms?"
We got to coaches captain meeting and the R does his "speel" he then says "Coaches I know the ladies are not properly equipted tonite, J please explain the headband/uniform rule". Being caught off guard, I explained " dominant uniform color,black,white, or tan".
He then says" Coaches now that you know this, this is going to upset J, but consider this a warning for tonite, you need to be in proper uniform by next game".
So as we leave the meeting I ask" why did you bring it up if you're not going to enforce it?"
His comment " so they know for next time".
I feel the veteran sold me out to the coaches and put me on the spot. Give me feedback? I'm pretty ticked about it still.