The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Leaving bench area

Saw an odd situation the other day. Girl’s varsity game. The game was stopped for a minor injury and the crowd had quieted down, so you could hear everything that was going on around the benches. Well, apparently one of the girls on the bench got mad at another one sitting there and stood up in a huff that kind of shuffled the chairs. She then proceeded to walk off the court and go to the locker room. She was obviously mad. Although, she didn’t make a big seen or anything. I had heard later that there was some sort of argument between the two. I observed the refs during this and I don’t think they saw her leave. My question is, is there a violation or technical foul that needs to be enforced. Rule 10-1-4 states that it is a team technical if the team, “Fail to occupy the team member's bench to which it is assigned.” But this doesn’t seem to quite fit. What do you guys think?
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 10:34am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Let it go. I'm not getting involved in the drama of teenage girls.
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 10:38am
This IS My Social Life

What if One "Has to Go"?

I don't recall any stipulation against any bench personnel "running to the lockerroom". In fact, now that I think about it, it's something that may well happen occasionally without being noticed. With a lack of anything forbidding it, I'd say "Let it go in case they have to 'go'".
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 10:40am
Keeper of the HAMMER

You could invoke 10-1-4, but I wouldn't do it for a single isolated case. Now, if A7 starts loitering behind B's bench; call the T.
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 10:42am
Lighten up, Francis.

Non-adult team members should not be allowed to leave the playing facilities unaccompanied by an adult. This was part of the POEs a few years ago. And this is also why players aren't ejected; they are disqualified to the bench.

If you know the player left, you should quietly mention to an assistant that she needs to be on the bench or have an adult with her. I would not give a T for this, but I would mention to a coach or the site director. If the coach then says, she needed a quick bathroom break, then I'd obviously let it go. But that doesn't seem to be the case here.
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
You could invoke 10-1-4, but I wouldn't do it for a single isolated case. Now, if A7 starts loitering behind B's bench; call the T.

So hanging out in the stands is a T'able offense but going anywhere else isn't really?
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

An unaccompanied minor has been stressed around my area this year. supposedly there was an incident somewhere around the area where the minor was feeling sick, went to the locker room, she was dizzy, and collapsed Fortunately, it was almost halftime when she left and they found her quickly after the incident.

I would guess if there is only one adult on the bench, he would have to go to the lockerroom and we would have to suspend play until he returns.

-Josh
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinski View Post
So hanging out in the stands is a T'able offense but going anywhere else isn't really?
I believe that hanging out anywhere besides the bench or lockerroom is illegal. But I would use my game management skills to resolve the issue.

-Josh
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
Non-adult team members should not be allowed to leave the playing facilities unaccompanied by an adult. This was part of the POEs a few years ago. And this is also why players aren't ejected; they are disqualified to the bench.

If you know the player left, you should quietly mention to an assistant that she needs to be on the bench or have an adult with her. I would not give a T for this, but I would mention to a coach or the site director. If the coach then says, she needed a quick bathroom break, then I'd obviously let it go. But that doesn't seem to be the case here.
I don't believe it is our responsibility to ensure the players are accompanied to the lockerroom....it is the coach's. We send them to the bench under certain circumstances...nothing more.
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 02:26pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I don't believe it is our responsibility to ensure the players are accompanied to the lockerroom....it is the coach's.
The '04-'05 POEs do indeed say that it is the coach's responsibility to "ensure that bench personnel remain on the bench". However, if the coach does not fulfill this responsibility, I don't think it's completely out of line for the official to remind him/her of it. "Coach, we're supposed to have an adult go to the locker room with a player." If the coach simply refuses, I don't suppose that there's anything more that we could or should do. But if it's a POE, it can't hurt to remind them of it, IMHO.
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I don't believe it is our responsibility to ensure the players are accompanied to the lockerroom....it is the coach's. We send them to the bench under certain circumstances...nothing more.
I don't believe it's our responsibility is most circumstances but in some cases it might me. For instance, if we send a player out of the game because of blood on their uniform, we are requiring the player to go to the lockerroom to change. As crazy as it might sound, I think we might be held liable if something would happen (God forbid). I would strongly suggest someone accompany the player.

-Josh