The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 07, 2008, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

How many free throws do you shoot?

Saw this in a Varsity Game the other night..... did the officials make the right call? 2 man crew

A1 Drives to the hole and is fouled on the shot attempt by B1. While the ball is clearly on the rim A2 interferes with the shot by dunking the ball.

Lead calls the foul on B1. Trail gets the goaltending/basket interference and waves off the basket.

the two officials get togethter and determine that A1 gets two free throws.

My initial reaction was that the crew got the call correct as there was a foul and there was goaltending. My first thought was that A1 was getting two free throws... yet the more I think about it I dont' know if that was correct.

I have had thoughts that A1 should only get one freethrow. But I don't know why I think this. Also is there a situation where A1 gets no freethrows due to the violation on his teamate? another question I have is When does the ball come dead in this situation?
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 12:03am
Official Forum Member

9.11.2 E in the case book covers this, 2 free throws is the correct call.
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 12:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azatcher View Post
Saw this in a Varsity Game the other night..... did the officials make the right call? 2 man crew

A1 Drives to the hole and is fouled on the shot attempt by B1. While the ball is clearly on the rim A2 interferes with the shot by dunking the ball.

Lead calls the foul on B1. Trail gets the goaltending/basket interference and waves off the basket.

the two officials get togethter and determine that A1 gets two free throws.

My initial reaction was that the crew got the call correct as there was a foul and there was goaltending. My first thought was that A1 was getting two free throws... yet the more I think about it I dont' know if that was correct.

I have had thoughts that A1 should only get one freethrow. But I don't know why I think this. Also is there a situation where A1 gets no freethrows due to the violation on his teamate? another question I have is When does the ball come dead in this situation?
2FT since the try was unsuccessful.
The ball becomes dead at the time of the BASKET INTERFERENCE. (This was not goaltending.)
A team can only lose the FT attempts by violating once the attempt has started. There is no case in which an offense PRIOR to the beginning of a FT attempt would negate the upcoming free throws, other than something which caused the game to be prematurely terminated.

wrwom provided the citation for the play ruling.
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

You get one free throw if the try is good. Since the try wasnt good you get two free throws.
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar's Ghost View Post
You get one free throw if the try is good. Since the try wasnt good you get two free throws.
The ball is dead when the basket interference occurs. At that point it is irrelevant whether the ball goes through the basket, no points are scored and 2 free throws awarded.
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrwom View Post
The ball is dead when the basket interference occurs. At that point it is irrelevant whether the ball goes through the basket, no points are scored and 2 free throws awarded.
That's what my initial reaction was.... don't know why I started questioning myself the more I thought about it. I guess we all tend to do that on a situation where we are not 100% sure. We start thinking of ways that we could possibly be wrong.
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 04:08pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by azatcher View Post
That's what my initial reaction was.... don't know why I started questioning myself the more I thought about it. I guess we all tend to do that on a situation where we are not 100% sure. We start thinking of ways that we could possibly be wrong.
True. Just remember not to self-smart yourself too much.