The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Leaving bench area (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50224-leaving-bench-area.html)

Vinski Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:30am

Leaving bench area

Saw an odd situation the other day. Girl’s varsity game. The game was stopped for a minor injury and the crowd had quieted down, so you could hear everything that was going on around the benches. Well, apparently one of the girls on the bench got mad at another one sitting there and stood up in a huff that kind of shuffled the chairs. She then proceeded to walk off the court and go to the locker room. She was obviously mad. Although, she didn’t make a big seen or anything. I had heard later that there was some sort of argument between the two. I observed the refs during this and I don’t think they saw her leave. My question is, is there a violation or technical foul that needs to be enforced. Rule 10-1-4 states that it is a team technical if the team, “Fail to occupy the team member's bench to which it is assigned.” But this doesn’t seem to quite fit. What do you guys think?

Adam Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:34am

Let it go. I'm not getting involved in the drama of teenage girls.

Freddy Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:38am

What if One "Has to Go"?

I don't recall any stipulation against any bench personnel "running to the lockerroom". In fact, now that I think about it, it's something that may well happen occasionally without being noticed. With a lack of anything forbidding it, I'd say "Let it go in case they have to 'go'".

Adam Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:40am

You could invoke 10-1-4, but I wouldn't do it for a single isolated case. Now, if A7 starts loitering behind B's bench; call the T.

Scrapper1 Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:42am

Non-adult team members should not be allowed to leave the playing facilities unaccompanied by an adult. This was part of the POEs a few years ago. And this is also why players aren't ejected; they are disqualified to the bench.

If you know the player left, you should quietly mention to an assistant that she needs to be on the bench or have an adult with her. I would not give a T for this, but I would mention to a coach or the site director. If the coach then says, she needed a quick bathroom break, then I'd obviously let it go. But that doesn't seem to be the case here.

Vinski Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 556290)
You could invoke 10-1-4, but I wouldn't do it for a single isolated case. Now, if A7 starts loitering behind B's bench; call the T.

So hanging out in the stands is a T'able offense but going anywhere else isn't really?

jdmara Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:31pm

An unaccompanied minor has been stressed around my area this year. supposedly there was an incident somewhere around the area where the minor was feeling sick, went to the locker room, she was dizzy, and collapsed :( Fortunately, it was almost halftime when she left and they found her quickly after the incident.

I would guess if there is only one adult on the bench, he would have to go to the lockerroom and we would have to suspend play until he returns.

-Josh

jdmara Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinski (Post 556298)
So hanging out in the stands is a T'able offense but going anywhere else isn't really?

I believe that hanging out anywhere besides the bench or lockerroom is illegal. But I would use my game management skills to resolve the issue.

-Josh

Camron Rust Mon Dec 08, 2008 01:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 556292)
Non-adult team members should not be allowed to leave the playing facilities unaccompanied by an adult. This was part of the POEs a few years ago. And this is also why players aren't ejected; they are disqualified to the bench.

If you know the player left, you should quietly mention to an assistant that she needs to be on the bench or have an adult with her. I would not give a T for this, but I would mention to a coach or the site director. If the coach then says, she needed a quick bathroom break, then I'd obviously let it go. But that doesn't seem to be the case here.

I don't believe it is our responsibility to ensure the players are accompanied to the lockerroom....it is the coach's. We send them to the bench under certain circumstances...nothing more.

Scrapper1 Mon Dec 08, 2008 02:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 556379)
I don't believe it is our responsibility to ensure the players are accompanied to the lockerroom....it is the coach's.

The '04-'05 POEs do indeed say that it is the coach's responsibility to "ensure that bench personnel remain on the bench". However, if the coach does not fulfill this responsibility, I don't think it's completely out of line for the official to remind him/her of it. "Coach, we're supposed to have an adult go to the locker room with a player." If the coach simply refuses, I don't suppose that there's anything more that we could or should do. But if it's a POE, it can't hurt to remind them of it, IMHO.

jdmara Mon Dec 08, 2008 02:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 556379)
I don't believe it is our responsibility to ensure the players are accompanied to the lockerroom....it is the coach's. We send them to the bench under certain circumstances...nothing more.

I don't believe it's our responsibility is most circumstances but in some cases it might me. For instance, if we send a player out of the game because of blood on their uniform, we are requiring the player to go to the lockerroom to change. As crazy as it might sound, I think we might be held liable if something would happen (God forbid). I would strongly suggest someone accompany the player.

-Josh