The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

What's the call in this instance.....

A1 steals the ball in the backcourt and races to the other end. B1 gets to the elbow and plants his feet and doesn't move. A1 lowers his head and brushes B1 and trips over B1's left foot. B1 never moves as A1 falls to the floor and loses the ball out of bounds. Do you have a charge or "no call"? I say "no call".
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

I believe this is a "had to be there" (HTBT) play. It's all relative to time, distance, and initiation of contact.

-Josh
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 04:06pm
We don't rent pigs

Sounds like a no call to me.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

imo, can't have a "no call" here....the contact affected the play causing the ball to go out of bounds. gotta have something!

based on what you've described, I'm probably calling a blocking foul. sounds like the defender established legal gaurding position, but did not move to maintain LGP as the offensive player moved. block!

if you don't like the block call, then ask yourself this....did the offensive player create/gain an advantage as the result of his contact w/ the defender? (because that is basically what a charge/offensive foul is, right?...)
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 04:29pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsimp8 View Post
A1 steals the ball in the backcourt and races to the other end. B1 gets to the elbow and plants his feet and doesn't move. A1 lowers his head and brushes B1 and trips over B1's left foot. B1 never moves as A1 falls to the floor and loses the ball out of bounds. Do you have a charge or "no call"? I say "no call".
Tripping over someone's foot is likely because that foot is outside the cylinder that each person is entitled to. Brushing an opponent likely means that contact was on the outside edge of the shoulder. You would have to decide if the contact on the shoulder warrants a PC foul (highly unlikely), or the possible foot-outside-the-cylinder contact caused a block (more likely).

In the end, it sounds like we had to be there, but a no call could be likely as well. Whenever someone goes to the ground, I believe that the officials must know how that happened. Since A1 went to the floor, is was either because of B1's legal body position, or B1's illegal foot position.

If the contact was the legal body position, I have a no call. If the contact was the illegal foot position, I have a blocking foul.
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 04:38pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpea View Post
imo, can't have a "no call" here....the contact affected the play causing the ball to go out of bounds. gotta have something!
based on what you've described, I'm probably calling a blocking foul. sounds like the defender established legal gaurding position, but did not move to maintain LGP as the offensive player moved. block!

if you don't like the block call, then ask yourself this....did the offensive player create/gain an advantage as the result of his contact w/ the defender? (because that is basically what a charge/offensive foul is, right?...)
Seems to be a lot of contradiction here. The defender is entitled to a spot on the floor. If he was there and did not move, no way is it a blocking foul. Did the offensive player gain an advantage by the contact which he apparently created. No, he simply lost the ball out of bounds. No foul call is necessary.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 04:42pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Tripping over someone's foot is likely because that foot is outside the cylinder that each person is entitled to. ..... possible foot-outside-the-cylinder contact caused a block (more likely).

If the contact was the illegal foot position, I have a blocking foul.
If the defender is there minding his own business, he can be doing the splits, and if he does not move, it isn't a blocking foul.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Seems to be a lot of contradiction here. The defender is entitled to a spot on the floor. If he was there and did not move, no way is it a blocking foul. Did the offensive player gain an advantage by the contact which he apparently created. No, he simply lost the ball out of bounds. No foul call is necessary.
Wouldn't your logic of "offense caused the contact because the defense didn't move" negate the rule that says if the contact is not in the torso area of the defender the defender is at fault?
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

HUH????

A defender is NEVER REQUIRED to move to maintain LGP. They have the option of remaining stationary. If they are stationary, they don't need LGP. Any contact with a stationary defender who initially obtained that spot legally can never be a block. It doesn't matter where the contact occurs (torso, side, or elsewhere). If the offensive player wishes to change directions to avoid contact, it is their responsibility to do so. A defender who is legally in a spot has no requirement to get out of the way when the contact will not be sqaure on the torso.

Any advantage lost by the offense was their own fault.

The only calls that are valid are PC or OOB....I'm calling OOB.
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 05:10pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence View Post
Wouldn't your logic of "offense caused the contact because the defense didn't move" negate the rule that says if the contact is not in the torso area of the defender the defender is at fault?

What rule is that?

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
...It's all relative to time, distance, and initiation of contact....
Not entirely true. NFHS 4-23-4 "Guarding an opponent with the ball or a stationary opponent without the ball:
a. No time or distance is required to obtain an initial legal position."

When guarding a (non-airborne) player with the ball, all that is required is for the guard to get to his spot legally first. If he does this, it's his spot. No time or distance required.

Quote:

There is no legal requirement for a guard to move to maintain LGP. If the guard chooses not to move, he is still entitled to the spot he legally occupied first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Tripping over someone's foot is likely because that foot is outside the cylinder that each person is entitled to. Brushing an opponent likely means that contact was on the outside edge of the shoulder. You would have to decide if the contact on the shoulder warrants a PC foul (highly unlikely), or the possible foot-outside-the-cylinder contact caused a block (more likely).
If the contact was the legal body position, I have a no call. If the contact was the illegal foot position, I have a blocking foul.
Exactly. If the guard's feet are wider than his shoulders, then he has not gotten to the spot legally first.

NFHS 4-23 "...A player who extends an arm, shoulder, hip or leg into the path of an opponent is not considered to have a legal position if contact occurs."

If the guard's feet are wider than his shoulders, he has extended his leg. In this situation it would seem that the extended leg is in the path of the opponent.

Obviously a HTBT, but the principles are pretty clear cut I think.

As always, just my $0.02.
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 05:34pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
HUH????

A defender is NEVER REQUIRED to move to maintain LGP.
LOL, thanks Camron. I was thinking "How can I call a foul on a guy for NOT moving?"

Quote:
Any advantage lost by the offense was their own fault.

The only calls that are valid are PC or OOB....I'm calling OOB.
Agree.
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
LOL, thanks Camron. I was thinking "How can I call a foul on a guy for NOT moving?"
What if one of the defender's feet was OOB?

Aw, c'mon, you knew I had to ask.

Before anyone actually answers this, be sure to read every page of:
Block / Charge Situation

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
What if one of the defender's feet was OOB?

Aw, c'mon, you knew I had to ask.
We've got a rope
We've got a tree
All we need is a
Referee.

And you just volunteered.
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
We've got a rope
We've got a tree
All we need is a
Referee.

And you just volunteered.
I kinda felt like doing some swingin' tonight.

Hey, wait a minute...

(Used with permission.)