The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 94
What's the call in this instance.....

A1 steals the ball in the backcourt and races to the other end. B1 gets to the elbow and plants his feet and doesn't move. A1 lowers his head and brushes B1 and trips over B1's left foot. B1 never moves as A1 falls to the floor and loses the ball out of bounds. Do you have a charge or "no call"? I say "no call".
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,230
I believe this is a "had to be there" (HTBT) play. It's all relative to time, distance, and initiation of contact.

-Josh
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 04:06pm
We don't rent pigs
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 7,627
Sounds like a no call to me.
__________________
I swear, Gus, you'd argue with a possum.
It'd be easier than arguing with you, Woodrow.


Lonesome Dove
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 547
imo, can't have a "no call" here....the contact affected the play causing the ball to go out of bounds. gotta have something!

based on what you've described, I'm probably calling a blocking foul. sounds like the defender established legal gaurding position, but did not move to maintain LGP as the offensive player moved. block!

if you don't like the block call, then ask yourself this....did the offensive player create/gain an advantage as the result of his contact w/ the defender? (because that is basically what a charge/offensive foul is, right?...)
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 04:29pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Near Dog River (sorta)
Posts: 8,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsimp8 View Post
A1 steals the ball in the backcourt and races to the other end. B1 gets to the elbow and plants his feet and doesn't move. A1 lowers his head and brushes B1 and trips over B1's left foot. B1 never moves as A1 falls to the floor and loses the ball out of bounds. Do you have a charge or "no call"? I say "no call".
Tripping over someone's foot is likely because that foot is outside the cylinder that each person is entitled to. Brushing an opponent likely means that contact was on the outside edge of the shoulder. You would have to decide if the contact on the shoulder warrants a PC foul (highly unlikely), or the possible foot-outside-the-cylinder contact caused a block (more likely).

In the end, it sounds like we had to be there, but a no call could be likely as well. Whenever someone goes to the ground, I believe that the officials must know how that happened. Since A1 went to the floor, is was either because of B1's legal body position, or B1's illegal foot position.

If the contact was the legal body position, I have a no call. If the contact was the illegal foot position, I have a blocking foul.
__________________
Pope Francis
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 04:38pm
We don't rent pigs
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 7,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpea View Post
imo, can't have a "no call" here....the contact affected the play causing the ball to go out of bounds. gotta have something!
based on what you've described, I'm probably calling a blocking foul. sounds like the defender established legal gaurding position, but did not move to maintain LGP as the offensive player moved. block!

if you don't like the block call, then ask yourself this....did the offensive player create/gain an advantage as the result of his contact w/ the defender? (because that is basically what a charge/offensive foul is, right?...)
Seems to be a lot of contradiction here. The defender is entitled to a spot on the floor. If he was there and did not move, no way is it a blocking foul. Did the offensive player gain an advantage by the contact which he apparently created. No, he simply lost the ball out of bounds. No foul call is necessary.
__________________
I swear, Gus, you'd argue with a possum.
It'd be easier than arguing with you, Woodrow.


Lonesome Dove
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 04:42pm
We don't rent pigs
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 7,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Tripping over someone's foot is likely because that foot is outside the cylinder that each person is entitled to. ..... possible foot-outside-the-cylinder contact caused a block (more likely).

If the contact was the illegal foot position, I have a blocking foul.
If the defender is there minding his own business, he can be doing the splits, and if he does not move, it isn't a blocking foul.
__________________
I swear, Gus, you'd argue with a possum.
It'd be easier than arguing with you, Woodrow.


Lonesome Dove
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Seems to be a lot of contradiction here. The defender is entitled to a spot on the floor. If he was there and did not move, no way is it a blocking foul. Did the offensive player gain an advantage by the contact which he apparently created. No, he simply lost the ball out of bounds. No foul call is necessary.
Wouldn't your logic of "offense caused the contact because the defense didn't move" negate the rule that says if the contact is not in the torso area of the defender the defender is at fault?
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: In the offseason.
Posts: 11,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpea View Post
imo, can't have a "no call" here....the contact affected the play causing the ball to go out of bounds. gotta have something!

based on what you've described, I'm probably calling a blocking foul. sounds like the defender established legal gaurding position, but did not move to maintain LGP as the offensive player moved. block!

if you don't like the block call, then ask yourself this....did the offensive player create/gain an advantage as the result of his contact w/ the defender? (because that is basically what a charge/offensive foul is, right?...)
HUH????

A defender is NEVER REQUIRED to move to maintain LGP. They have the option of remaining stationary. If they are stationary, they don't need LGP. Any contact with a stationary defender who initially obtained that spot legally can never be a block. It doesn't matter where the contact occurs (torso, side, or elsewhere). If the offensive player wishes to change directions to avoid contact, it is their responsibility to do so. A defender who is legally in a spot has no requirement to get out of the way when the contact will not be sqaure on the torso.

Any advantage lost by the offense was their own fault.

The only calls that are valid are PC or OOB....I'm calling OOB.
__________________
Owner/Developer of RefTown.com
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 05:10pm
We don't rent pigs
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 7,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence View Post
Wouldn't your logic of "offense caused the contact because the defense didn't move" negate the rule that says if the contact is not in the torso area of the defender the defender is at fault?

What rule is that?
__________________
I swear, Gus, you'd argue with a possum.
It'd be easier than arguing with you, Woodrow.


Lonesome Dove
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: In a little pink house
Posts: 5,289
Send a message via AIM to Back In The Saddle Send a message via MSN to Back In The Saddle Send a message via Yahoo to Back In The Saddle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
...It's all relative to time, distance, and initiation of contact....
Not entirely true. NFHS 4-23-4 "Guarding an opponent with the ball or a stationary opponent without the ball:
a. No time or distance is required to obtain an initial legal position."

When guarding a (non-airborne) player with the ball, all that is required is for the guard to get to his spot legally first. If he does this, it's his spot. No time or distance required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpea View Post
imo, can't have a "no call" here....the contact affected the play causing the ball to go out of bounds. gotta have something!

based on what you've described, I'm probably calling a blocking foul. sounds like the defender established legal gaurding position, but did not move to maintain LGP as the offensive player moved. block!

if you don't like the block call, then ask yourself this....did the offensive player create/gain an advantage as the result of his contact w/ the defender? (because that is basically what a charge/offensive foul is, right?...)
There is no legal requirement for a guard to move to maintain LGP. If the guard chooses not to move, he is still entitled to the spot he legally occupied first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Tripping over someone's foot is likely because that foot is outside the cylinder that each person is entitled to. Brushing an opponent likely means that contact was on the outside edge of the shoulder. You would have to decide if the contact on the shoulder warrants a PC foul (highly unlikely), or the possible foot-outside-the-cylinder contact caused a block (more likely).
...
If the contact was the legal body position, I have a no call. If the contact was the illegal foot position, I have a blocking foul.
Exactly. If the guard's feet are wider than his shoulders, then he has not gotten to the spot legally first.

NFHS 4-23 "...A player who extends an arm, shoulder, hip or leg into the path of an opponent is not considered to have a legal position if contact occurs."

If the guard's feet are wider than his shoulders, he has extended his leg. In this situation it would seem that the extended leg is in the path of the opponent.

Obviously a HTBT, but the principles are pretty clear cut I think.

As always, just my $0.02.
__________________
"It is not enough to do your best; you must know what to do, and then do your best." - W. Edwards Deming
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 05:34pm
Lighten up, Francis.
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
HUH????

A defender is NEVER REQUIRED to move to maintain LGP.
LOL, thanks Camron. I was thinking "How can I call a foul on a guy for NOT moving?"

Quote:
Any advantage lost by the offense was their own fault.

The only calls that are valid are PC or OOB....I'm calling OOB.
Agree.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 5,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
LOL, thanks Camron. I was thinking "How can I call a foul on a guy for NOT moving?"
What if one of the defender's feet was OOB?

Aw, c'mon, you knew I had to ask.

Before anyone actually answers this, be sure to read every page of:
Block / Charge Situation
__________________
M&M's - The Official Candy of the Department of Redundancy Department.

(Used with permission.)
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: In a little pink house
Posts: 5,289
Send a message via AIM to Back In The Saddle Send a message via MSN to Back In The Saddle Send a message via Yahoo to Back In The Saddle
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
What if one of the defender's feet was OOB?

Aw, c'mon, you knew I had to ask.
We've got a rope
We've got a tree
All we need is a
Referee.

And you just volunteered.
__________________
"It is not enough to do your best; you must know what to do, and then do your best." - W. Edwards Deming
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 5,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
We've got a rope
We've got a tree
All we need is a
Referee.

And you just volunteered.
I kinda felt like doing some swingin' tonight.

Hey, wait a minute...
__________________
M&M's - The Official Candy of the Department of Redundancy Department.

(Used with permission.)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bunt is laid down....who covers third in this instance? bombdiggity Softball 6 Fri May 04, 2007 03:42pm
ASA OBS call then no call leads to ejection DaveASA/FED Softball 28 Mon Jul 12, 2004 03:52pm
To call or not to call foul ball DaveASA/FED Softball 11 Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:47am
More Pacers/Pistons call/no call OverAndBack Basketball 36 Thu Jun 03, 2004 07:01pm
Does one call relate to the last call? Tee Basketball 28 Thu Feb 13, 2003 05:53pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:57am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1