The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 03, 2007, 08:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to bombdiggity
Bunt is laid down....who covers third in this instance?

Hello all, I'm new, from Australia and have a question.

We had a play on the weekend where a bunt was laid down with a runner on first (I play first base) and I was the only one who had anticipated it. I went to field the ball which started to roll up third as the pitcher was standing like a shag on a rock and third base was way back near the bag. The catcher stayed where she was. Third base finally moved and fielded the ball. As third didn't have a player covering it, I continued around to third base to provide cover there so that the runner who had rounded second wouldn't advance. I had been taught this by another coach (who encouraged thinking outside the square). At practice an older player (who has never played at a high level) berated me for doing what I did and said that the catcher should've covered third....I stated that she was still standing behind the plate and had no chance of making third before the runner got there.

I'd like some thoughts on this please!
Old Thu May 03, 2007, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Well howdy mate and welcome,

........but.......

This is a discussion board where Umpires usually discuss rules and stuff. We really don't care who covers third in this instance, unless there is an out to be called.

From my playing/coaching days, I would say the left fielder (if fastpitch) should be moving in to cover third.
Old Thu May 03, 2007, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Is anyone else curious as to what a 'shag on a rock' would be?

I'm kind of picturing something like the BU's I've been seeing lately that are starting in 'B' with no runners on base. Those blues are not moving too quickly either.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Thu May 03, 2007, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlue
Is anyone else curious as to what a 'shag on a rock' would be?

I'm kind of picturing something like the BU's I've been seeing lately that are starting in 'B' with no runners on base. Those blues are not moving too quickly either.

A rolling stone gathers no moss! (that's what I took it to be).

I worked with Shag a couple of days ago! thought about calling 911 to have him jump-started, but then I saw him talk to someone outside the fence. I knew then he was still alive!
Old Thu May 03, 2007, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

I think third should have fielded it to begin with, not you, F6 to 3B and 2B to 2B with you covering your bag. If you anticipated it, you should have communicated that to your team mates, you are not a 1 man team.

But we are umps here.. so ask a coach.
Old Fri May 04, 2007, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombdiggity
Hello all, I'm new, from Australia and have a question.

We had a play on the weekend where a bunt was laid down with a runner on first (I play first base) and I was the only one who had anticipated it. I went to field the ball which started to roll up third as the pitcher was standing like a shag on a rock and third base was way back near the bag. The catcher stayed where she was. Third base finally moved and fielded the ball. As third didn't have a player covering it, I continued around to third base to provide cover there so that the runner who had rounded second wouldn't advance. I had been taught this by another coach (who encouraged thinking outside the square). At practice an older player (who has never played at a high level) berated me for doing what I did and said that the catcher should've covered third....I stated that she was still standing behind the plate and had no chance of making third before the runner got there.

I'd like some thoughts on this please!
Welcome to the board.

This one's easy. Base umpire should have covered third.
Old Fri May 04, 2007, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Coach here. I hate poetry but I do like poking umpires with a stick! Below is the best site for your question.

http://eteamz.active.com/fastpitch/boards/fastpitch/

Three ways to cover third ranked in my order of preference.

1. If pitcher or third baseman fields the ball, catcher covers third. Third baseman takes home.
2. Catcher stays home, pitcher or third baseman (whoever does not field the ball covers third.)
3. Left field covers third.

I like the first option because I want to keep my pitcher out of harms way. If I finally find one who's mother doesn't wear me out and who's dad doesn't constantly rag on the umps, I don't want to lose her to a broken finger on a tag.

Option 3 is too dangerous. We never throw a ball to a bag that does not have outfield backup.

Next time your umps blow a call or a rules interpretation, bring it to these guys on the board and you will find that 99% of the time it is you that was mistaken.