The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 28, 2008, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

Tights

Just had a game where a team not from our normal area has a Big 10 D1 commit who wears full length leg tights to keep his legs warm under his shorts. We noticed it during warm ups and notified the coach, who then produced a medical excuse. We let him play with them but researched it afterwards:

Rule 3-5-6 NFHS says that compression shorts/tights must be the same solid color as the predominant color of the pants and the length must be above the knee.

Should a medical excuse trump the rule? Our association is contacting the state office for clarification, and the officials I've talked to have mixed opinions. If you let him play with them, he is in violation of the rule; if you make him take them off and he gets a pulled muscle are we legally liable since he had a medical excuse?

Further, his team was home so the tights should have been white - but were actually black. The white tights would have stood out more and made a larger spectical.

Any suggestions?
Old Fri Nov 28, 2008, 11:36pm
Esteemed Forum Member

My Name Is Sue, How Do You Do ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by derwil View Post
If you let him play with them, he is in violation of the rule; if you make him take them off and he gets a pulled muscle are we legally liable since he had a medical excuse?
There is a third choice that you failed to mention. Who says that you have to make him take them off? If it is decided that due to the color, or the length of the tights, that this is illegal equipment, even with the signed medical excuse, then just inform the coach that he can't play with the tights. I would never tell a player that he, or she, has to remove illegal equipment, i.e. earrings, jewelry, etc., because, by rule, they don't have to, unless they want to play. Semantics? Yes. Legal liability? Hopefully no.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Nov 28, 2008, 11:50pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Inquiring minds want to know ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by derwil View Post
Just had a game where a team not from our normal area has a Big 10 D1 commit who wears full length leg tights to keep his legs warm under his shorts. We noticed it during warm ups and notified the coach, who then produced a medical excuse. We let him play with them but researched it afterwards: Rule 3-5-6 NFHS says that compression shorts/tights must be the same solid color as the predominant color of the pants and the length must be above the knee. Further, his team was home so the tights should have been white - but were actually black. The white tights would have stood out more and made a larger spectacle.
No signed medical note is needed according to NFHS 3-5-6, but the tights worn by the player in question must be white, to match the predominate color of the shorts, and must not extend below the knee.

However, your question about the medical note "trumping" NFHS 3-5-6 is a good one. Does the signed note allow any length, or any color? Or does the signed note just allow a longer length, but the color part of the rule still applies? Are these decisions that should be made by game offcials at the site, or should they be handled by the state association?

"Talk amongst yourselves". I've given "you a topic".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Nov 28, 2008 at 11:54pm.
Old Fri Nov 28, 2008, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

When my daughter played, there was a girl on another team that got an exception from the state office so that she could wear tights. Her reason was religious, she was Muslim and didn't want to expose her skin. There was a girl at my daughter's school that did the same thing, but it was for cheerleading, not basketball. I expect the rules aren't the same there.
Old Sat Nov 29, 2008, 12:16am
Esteemed Forum Member

Give Me That Old Time Religion ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juulie Downs View Post
When my daughter played, there was a girl on another team that got an exception from the state office so that she could wear tights. Her reason was religious, she was Muslim and didn't want to expose her skin.
I'm glad that this deeply religious young lady was allowed to play. However, I can't find any NFHS rule, that would allow tights below the knee for a religious reason. There is a rule, 3-5-3 Exception b, that covers, no pun intended, head coverings for religious reasons, and a rule, 3-5-7, that covers religious medals, but I can't find one for tights. She could have, by rule, just worn long pants.

Old Sat Nov 29, 2008, 01:33am
Official Forum Member

No tights period. End of story.
No medical excuse, no religious excuse can alter that rule. The case play is very clear on that. The player can wear pants if he/she wishes.

3.5.6 SITUATION B:
A player, for religious reasons, may not wear shorts.
Would he/she be able to wear tights under the basketball uniform shorts, warmups
or a skirt instead of shorts?
RULING: NFHS basketball uniform rules do not
require that the uniform pants be "shorts." However, undergarments or tights may
not be worn which extend below the pants, therefore wearing tights “below the
uniform shorts” would be illegal. The player could wear long pants or a skirt as
the uniform "bottom" and be in compliance. (3-4)

Old Sat Nov 29, 2008, 02:40am
Keeper of the HAMMER

While Nevada is right about the rule, go with what your state says. My state, for example, is not willing to fight this battle with religion, and we are merely to report the issue to the state when a player claims religious reasons for covering their legs.
Old Sat Nov 29, 2008, 04:29am
In Time Out

- different topic- leg pads?I haven't seen anyone use it but my friend said a few rec players were and I think saw Wade of the Heat wearing these type of leg pads around the thigh. Maybe not Wade but I've seen at least one NBA player wear them. I didn't think they would be legal in HS or if there is even a rule yet for them.
Old Sat Nov 29, 2008, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

I have seen a player wear regular length compression shorts and then extremely long sock that went well above the knees. Same effect as tights but apparently legal.
Old Sat Nov 29, 2008, 10:05am
Esteemed Forum Member

Welcome To the Jungle, Opps, I Mean Welcome To the Forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar's Ghost View Post
Caesar's Ghost.
Welcome newbie. You must be a Superman fan. "Yes, it's Superman, strange visitor from another planet, with powers and abilities far beyond those of mortal men! Superman, who can change the course of mighty rivers, bend steel with his bare hands, and who, disguised as Clark Kent, mild-mannered reporter for a great metropolitan newspaper, fights a never-ending battle for truth, justice and the American way!"

I love quotes, especially those from popular culture, like movies, and television. Also, note my signature. This is my new "thing", since I gave up posting images. So far, nobody has complained. I'm sure that the honeymoon, and the novelty, will end soon, an intervention will take place, and I will be encouraged to head in another direction. My fellow Forum members are always looking out for my best interests.

Old Sat Nov 29, 2008, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

No Im not a superman fan, just an official who was told about this sight and the good officiating knowledge. Are there others?
Old Sat Nov 29, 2008, 10:48am
Esteemed Forum Member

"Let's Call The Whole Thing Off", Or Not ...

Quote:
Are there others?
NFHS Forum: Basketball

The NFHS forum is a little more serious, and up until recently, was not anywhere near as active as the Official Forum. Not quite, "Apples and oranges", more like, "Tomato, tomato", or, "Potato, potato". Oh. Wait. That doesn't work with a keyboard. I keep forgetting that.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Nov 29, 2008 at 11:59am.
Old Sat Nov 29, 2008, 11:02am
Esteemed Forum Member

My Client Is Very Demanding, And I Want to Keep My Soul ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
No tights period. End of story.
No medical excuse, no religious excuse can alter that rule. The case play is very clear on that. The player can wear pants if he/she wishes.
NFHS 3-5-2-d Guards, casts, braces and compression sleeves must meet the following guidelines: d. Must be worn for medical reasons.

I agree that there is no way that tights can be worn for religious reason, as 3.5.6.b clearly, and specifically, points out (Nice citation Nevadaref), however, the case play does not refer to a medical reason, just a religious reason.

Could 3-5-2-d allow tights, or compression sleeves, of any color, and/or, any length, for a documented medical reason? I say no, but I'm playing Devil's advocate here, and my client would like to know if there are further citations beyond 3-5-6 that would specifically not allow tights/compression sleeves, of any length, and/or color, for documented medical reasons?

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Nov 29, 2008 at 11:58am.
Old Sat Nov 29, 2008, 11:17am
Esteemed Forum Member

"Don't Call Me Chief!" ...

Quote:
No, I'm not a superman fan.
Then, why the Caesar's Ghost username? In the "Adventures of Superman" television series, Perry White, Clark Kent's editor, would often exclaim, "Great Caesar's Ghost!".

My favorite quote started each episode, "Faster than a speeding bullet! More powerful than a locomotive! Look! Up in the sky! It's a bird! It's a plane! It's Superman!"

Old Sat Nov 29, 2008, 06:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
NFHS 3-5-2-d Guards, casts, braces and compression sleeves must meet the following guidelines: d. Must be worn for medical reasons.

I agree that there is no way that tights can be worn for religious reason, as 3.5.6.b clearly, and specifically, points out (Nice citation Nevadaref), however, the case play does not refer to a medical reason, just a religious reason.

Could 3-5-2-d allow tights, or compression sleeves, of any color, and/or, any length, for a documented medical reason? I say no, but I'm playing Devil's advocate here, and my client would like to know if there are further citations beyond 3-5-6 that would specifically not allow tights/compression sleeves, of any length, and/or color, for documented medical reasons?
No. Tights are not compression sleeves.