You mean like x-ray vision?

Old Sat Nov 29, 2008, 09:11pm
Esteemed Forum Member

"The Devil Made Me Do It" ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
No. Tights are not compression sleeves.
My client concurs. Thanks.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Nov 29, 2008, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

The state responds

State office came back and said the we need to examine the Dr's excuse and deternine if it is medically necessary. If so, he can play. So I guess we all need to go to medical school.

Tonight in the championship game, his equipment manager had too much... ummm..."celebration" from the Alabama/Auburn game and left the excuse back at the school. No excuse/no tights. He ended up with 21 point including the game winning 3 with time running out. Just think about what he'd have done with the tights!
Old Sat Nov 29, 2008, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by derwil View Post
State office came back and said the we need to examine the Dr's excuse and deternine if it is medically necessary. If so, he can play. So I guess we all need to go to medical school.
I don't know what state you are in, but the folks in your office don't have a clue about proper rules enforcement.

I do applaud your efforts to do it right.
Old Sun Nov 30, 2008, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Then, why the Caesar's Ghost username? In the "Adventures of Superman" television series, Perry White, Clark Kent's editor, would often exclaim, "Great Caesar's Ghost!".

My favorite quote started each episode, "Faster than a speeding bullet! More powerful than a locomotive! Look! Up in the sky! It's a bird! It's a plane! It's Superman!"
Whats it to you? I came here to discuss officiating -specifically the one question I had - not discuss some tv show drom 50 years ago. If its somehow an illegal name I'll change it.
Old Sun Nov 30, 2008, 09:11am
Lighten up, Francis.

While I agree that Nevadaref has posted the correct interp and that tights are not allowed for any reason, I think this is a pretty silly rule. As someone else pointed out, legal compression shorts and very tall socks accomplish the exact same thing and are perfectly legal. So what's the big deal about tights? Just say they have to be the same color as the shorts with no logo or adornment. Dumb to outlaw them.
Old Sun Nov 30, 2008, 09:13am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar's Ghost View Post
Whats it to you? I came here to discuss officiating -specifically the one question I had - not discuss some tv show drom 50 years ago. If its somehow an illegal name I'll change it.
Dude, relax. He's making conversation. Curiosity. It's an unusual name with a fairly well-known origin, yet you say you're not using it for that reason. Isn't it normal to wonder (and polite conversation to ask) why, then, you use it?

That's it. Nothing more. If it's deeply personal, you don't need to answer.
Old Sun Nov 30, 2008, 10:31am
Esteemed Forum Member

I'm Glad He Wasn't Here During My Image Posting Phase ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
Dude, relax. He's making conversation. Curiosity. It's an unusual name with a fairly well-known origin, yet you say you're not using it for that reason. Isn't it normal to wonder (and polite conversation to ask) why, then, you use it? That's it. Nothing more. If it's deeply personal, you don't need to answer.
Thanks Scrapper1. I don't know if you know this, or not, but Caesar's Ghost is a moderator in training, and is practicing discouraging offtopic posts on the Forum. And, boy, did his most recent post scare the hell out of me. I might not ever post an off topic comment again. Wait until Caesar's Ghost runs into Mark Padgett. Things will really hit the fan then.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sun Nov 30, 2008, 12:56pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I don't know what state you are in, but the folks in your office don't have a clue about proper rules enforcement.

I do applaud your efforts to do it right.
I agree with you on the rule, but....

My state is one that frankly doesn't want to get into a pissing match with doctors on medical necessity. We were told just to make sure the note wasn't from his dentist or chiropractor; not to read it and decide if we agree with the doctor's diagnosis and treatment.
Old Sun Nov 30, 2008, 01:06pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Doctor BrianMac ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
We were told just to make sure the note wasn't from his dentist, or chiropractor.
My son will be getting his PhD in Sociology. I hope that you would accept a note from him, after he graduates. He has put a lot of hard work into this, so you have to accept his note.

Old Sun Nov 30, 2008, 01:10pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
My son will be getting his PhD in Sociology. I hope that you would accept a note from him, after he graduates. He has put a lot of hard work into this, so you have to accept his note.
BrainMac? Nope, sorry. But I'd accept a note from Mac Taylor.
Old Sun Nov 30, 2008, 02:39pm
Do not give a damn!!

If there are religious reasons, I would check with your local authorities on that. There might be a "wavier" for those that have a religious reasoning for such an item. If there is no "wavier, then they are technically illegal. But understand that if someone wants to, they might just sue you over that. I understand the rule, but I am not willing to be sued over something to prevent something from being illegal if the item is not unsafe or if the item is only illegal for esthetics.

Peace
Old Sun Nov 30, 2008, 02:56pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Two Shoes In A Pair Of Shoes? How Many Pants In A Pair Of Pants ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
If there are religious reasons, I would check with your local authorities on that. There might be a "wavier" for those that have a religious reasoning for such an item.
Wouldn't the governing body that writes the waiver know enough about the rules to simple tell the player to wear pants, that are perfectly legal, instead of tights, that are illegal. I'm not a theologian, nor do I play one on television, but I doubt that there's a religion out there that requires their followers to wear tights. There probably are religions that require their followers to cover their legs in public, which can be accomplished with a pair of pants.

I officiated a girls game involving a local Christan school a few years ago that had players wearing skirts. Odd looking, but legal.

I just realized that there are several straight lines here for Mark Padgett to take advantage of, but I'll leave them in to make my point.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Nov 30, 2008 at 02:59pm.
Old Sun Nov 30, 2008, 04:11pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Billy, you're right. However, check with your state governing body. The rule may be the rule, but we answer to our states more than we answer to the NFHS.

Of course, if you're an IAABO state like me (and you), it gets even more complicated.
Old Sun Nov 30, 2008, 04:20pm
Esteemed Forum Member

"M'm M'm Good!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Of course, if you're an IAABO state like me (and you), it gets even more complicated.
You're telling me. We would have to involve the International Association of Approved Basketball Officials, the National Federation of State High School Associations, and the Connecticut Interscholastic Athletic Conference. There are enough letters in these three acronyms to put together a nice, big pot of alphabet soup.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Nov 30, 2008 at 04:42pm.