The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 30, 2008, 05:04pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
You're telling me. We would have to involve the International Association of Approved Basketball Officials, the National Federation of State High School Associations, and the Connecticut Interscholastic Athletic Conference. There are enough letters in these three acronyms to put together a nice, big pot of alphabet soup.
I get a kick out of the fact that while Colorado is an IAABO state, we are not following the IAABO mechanic of having the calling official go opposite on fouls. IAABO is making this switch, NFHS is not; CO is following NFHS.
Old Sun Nov 30, 2008, 05:45pm
Esteemed Forum Member

A Really Sad Day ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I get a kick out of the fact that while Colorado is an IAABO state, we are not following the IAABO mechanic of having the calling official go opposite on fouls. IAABO is making this switch, NFHS is not; CO is following NFHS.
It was sad day when IAABO switched from NFHS mechanics to IAABO mechanics. What's next? IAABO rules? At one point, about twenty five years ago, we had gray IAABO jerseys. Everyone always asked, "Why aren't you wearing stripes?".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Nov 30, 2008, 05:45pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Wouldn't the governing body that writes the waiver know enough about the rules to simple tell the player to wear pants, that are perfectly legal, instead of tights, that are illegal. I'm not a theologian, nor do I play one on television, but I doubt that there's a religion out there that requires their followers to wear tights. There probably are religions that require their followers to cover their legs in public, which can be accomplished with a pair of pants.

I officiated a girls game involving a local Christan school a few years ago that had players wearing skirts. Odd looking, but legal.

I just realized that there are several straight lines here for Mark Padgett to take advantage of, but I'll leave them in to make my point.
There was a situation where my state gave a waiver for a girl that was Muslim. At the time the rule was a little different and the rule was later changed, but they did not want us making personal decisions on these situations.

The bottom line is you want the kids to play. You do not want to be so technical if you can avoid it. Religion is a touchy subject and I do not want to be the person they come looking for if there is a legitimate religious expression.

Peace
Old Sun Nov 30, 2008, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

OT Warning: Nothing to do with Tights!!

Cool signature line, Jeff!

Rosa sat so Martin could walk.
Martin walked so Obama could run.
Barack ran so that our children could fly.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled broadcast.
Old Sun Nov 30, 2008, 05:51pm
Esteemed Forum Member

It Is Written That You Have To Wear Tights When You Play Basketball ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
The bottom line is you want the kids to play. You do not want to be so technical if you can avoid it. Religion is a touchy subject and I do not want to be the person they come looking for if there is a legitimate religious expression.
I really like your bottom line. And I am all for legitimate religious expression, just check out my signature. I work with Christians, Jews, Muslims, and Hindus, and we learn a lot about each other by discussing the similarities, and differences, in our different faiths. But, seriously, is there a legitimate, mainstream religion that requires their followers to wear tights, not pants?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Nov 30, 2008 at 05:57pm.
Old Sun Nov 30, 2008, 05:57pm
Esteemed Forum Member

A Black Man Elected President In My Lifetime, I'm Glad I Stuck Around ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juulie Downs View Post
Rosa sat so Martin could walk.
Martin walked so Obama could run.
Barack ran so that our children could fly.
Our children fly, allowing us to leave this planet a much better place than when we were born.

Old Sun Nov 30, 2008, 06:11pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
But, seriously, is there a legitimate, mainstream religion that requires their followers to wear tights, not pants?
There are religions that require them to cover up, not necessarily wear tights as opposed to pants. Honestly I do not think it really matters that much to me either way. That is why I said to check with your local associations or state associations. I am sure some schools that are religious would not allow their players to wear things that are normally considered illegal. I have seen kids that were Jewish insist wearing a Yamaka (sp?) and others not wear one at all.

The problem with religion is there are so many interpretations of what should be done and what should not be done. Not everyone Muslim woman wears a burka of any kind or head dress. It really comes down to what the individual thinks is important to them.

Peace
Old Sun Nov 30, 2008, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

Get off my post

If you wanna talk about Obama and sit around the campfire holding hands singing cumbaeyah, go start you own thread.

You wanna talk about tights - please reply.
Old Sun Nov 30, 2008, 06:44pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Wrapped To Tight ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I have seen kids that were Jewish insist wearing a yarmulke, and others not wear one at all.
A yarmulke, if held in place properly, I believe would be legal.

A) Pants: Legal
B) Compression shorts down to knees, socks up to knees: Legal
C) Tights: Illegal

Seems like a small jump from A to B, but a really big jump, in penalty, not in fashion, from B to C. Why does the NFHS force us to be fashion police?

Bottom line for me. A girl shows up with a pair of tights in one of my scholastic games with a note saying it's for medical, and/or, religious reasons, especially if the tights are the same color as the shorts, and especially if I had not heard anything in advance from any governing body, she's playing in my game, but the player, coach, and if it's a home game, the site director, will be told that this may be a problem in future games, and I'll be sending out several emails that evening to my superiors. And, if there's an evaluator at my game, and I get a bad rating for letting her play, I'll be pissed, but in my heart, I'll know that I did the right thing for the kid that night, whether she starts, and plays the whole game, or comes off the end of the bench, and plays a minute of garbage time.

Old Sun Nov 30, 2008, 06:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by derwil View Post
If you wanna talk about Obama and sit around the campfire holding hands singing cumbaeyah, go start you own thread.

You wanna talk about tights - please reply.
You are new here aren't you?

Peace
Old Sun Nov 30, 2008, 06:52pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Customer Is Always Right, Unless They're Wrong ...

Quote:
If you wanna talk about ... go start you own thread.
Good reminder. Your statement reminds me about when I worked a part time job as a jack of all trades at a local, family owned golf course. The manager, who was also an owner, would try to please the customers as much as she could, but she had a breaking point, at which time she would say to the customer, "If you don't like it, buy your own golf course". And by the way, she was a very successful businesswoman, a multimillionaire, and the golf course was very successful, even before Tiger came along to save the golf business. Most of the little bit that I do know about running a business, I learned from her.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Nov 30, 2008 at 07:04pm.
Old Sun Nov 30, 2008, 07:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A yarmulke, if held in place properly, I believe would be legal.
Rule reference? how would it be held in place properly, meaning without metal, such as bobby pins, or clippies?
Old Sun Nov 30, 2008, 07:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juulie Downs View Post
Rule reference? how would it be held in place properly, meaning without metal, such as bobby pins, or clippies?
From 3-5-3:

e. Head decorations and headwear, except those specified above, are
prohibited.
EXCEPTION:
State associations may on an individual basis allow a player to participate
while wearing a head covering if it meets the following criteria:
a. For medical or cosmetic reasons – In the event a participant is required by a licensed
medical physician to cover his/her head with a covering or wrap, the physician's
statement is required before the state association can approve a covering or wrap
which is not abrasive, hard or dangerous to any other player and which is attached
in such a way it is highly unlikely that it will come off during play.
b. For religious reasons – In the event there is documented evidence provided to the
state association that a participant may not expose his/her uncovered head, the state
association may approve a covering or wrap which is not abrasive, hard or
dangerous to any other player and which is attached in such a way it is highly
unlikely it will come off during play.

Old Sun Nov 30, 2008, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

We use it......

There is a young lady in one of our schools that wears a bandana on her head due to chemo. She keeps it nice and tight and its the same color as her teamate's headbands. She has a letter from the state office that is covered under Nevada's rule citation.
Old Sun Nov 30, 2008, 08:43pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
There is a young lady in one of our schools that wears a bandana on her head due to chemo.
Hey, if you want to talk about bandanas, go start a new thread, will ya? This thread is apparently only for tights. [/sarcasm]