The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 30, 2008, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

I have trouble seeing the medical need for a kid to wear tights, but if they have a legitimate physician's note stating they need it, I'm not saying no. When I was coaching, I once saw a soccer official refuse to let a kid on the opposing team play because he was wearing an insulin pump. I knew that it was legal for him to wear it because I was the person who first brought insulin pumps to the attention of the IHSA several years ago. The kid disconnected to pump and played. Can you imagine what might have happened if that kid went down during the game and had problems? For a pair of tights, I'll just submit a report to the IHSA and let them figure it out.
Also, the same thing for religious reasons. As you might guess, I'm not interfering with someone's religious practice, in fact I'll go out of my way to validate it. If, as many have said, there is no need for tights because pants will suffice, why make an issue? Pants or tights... I going to let them wear the tights. NFHS rules explicitly state no jewelry, however there are exceptions for medical alert bracelets and necklaces, and for crosses or a crucifix. If I err on the side of letting them play, they'll let me know from Bloomington if it was a mistake. I'm sure your state will, too.
Old Sun Nov 30, 2008, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev View Post
I have trouble seeing the medical need for a kid to wear tights, but if they have a legitimate physician's note stating they need it, I'm not saying no. When I was coaching, I once saw a soccer official refuse to let a kid on the opposing team play because he was wearing an insulin pump. I knew that it was legal for him to wear it because I was the person who first brought insulin pumps to the attention of the IHSA several years ago. The kid disconnected to pump and played. Can you imagine what might have happened if that kid went down during the game and had problems? For a pair of tights, I'll just submit a report to the IHSA and let them figure it out.
Also, the same thing for religious reasons. As you might guess, I'm not interfering with someone's religious practice, in fact I'll go out of my way to validate it. If, as many have said, there is no need for tights because pants will suffice, why make an issue? Pants or tights... I going to let them wear the tights. NFHS rules explicitly state no jewelry, however there are exceptions for medical alert bracelets and necklaces, and for crosses or a crucifix. If I err on the side of letting them play, they'll let me know from Bloomington if it was a mistake. I'm sure your state will, too.
If your state adheres to NFHS rules. They already have. You just refuse to follow it. 3.5.6 Situation B.
Old Sun Nov 30, 2008, 09:25pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
If your state adheres to NFHS rules. They already have. You just refuse to follow it. 3.5.6 Situation B.
The drama queen is at it again. What is the NF going to do, change the rule again?

Peace
Old Sun Nov 30, 2008, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post

That would be correct... just as many times I have passed on what could technically be called a travel or a three seconds violation or what was technically a foul but was totally meaningless in the overall picture of the game... just like everyone else does every time they step on court.
Old Sun Nov 30, 2008, 09:58pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Would Someone Contact Officiating.com ASAP ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
Hey, if you want to talk about bandannas, go start a new thread, will ya? This thread is apparently only for tights.
No. We need more than just a new thread. I think we should have a new Forum, just for bandannas. I've got it. We'll call it the "Bandanna Forum" and it can be listed on the bottom right with the other Forum Jumps. It can be listed right after General, right before Baseball. This will make it easy to find.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Nov 30, 2008, 10:01pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Two Words: Duct Tape, One Word: Ouch ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juulie Downs View Post
Rule reference? how would it be held in place properly, meaning without metal, such as bobby pins, or clippies?
Tape.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Nov 30, 2008, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derwil View Post
There is a young lady in one of our schools that wears a bandana on her head due to chemo. She keeps it nice and tight and its the same color as her teamate's headbands. She has a letter from the state office that is covered under Nevada's rule citation.
There was a where I used to live who had a psychological problem that caused her to pull her hair out. She wore a bandanna every game... but no medical release. You think I'm going to add to her trauma my making her take it off. No way.