The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 27, 2008, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBBREF View Post
this is pretty much how we call every game is it not?

This is what we do every game we set a tone and the players play to it. So why would you change that philosophy for any game?
Just making my case that perhaps during the FCP with a huge lead I no longer see the contact as incidental, that's all.
Old Mon Oct 27, 2008, 05:11pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Here's how I do it.

If one team is clearly over matched, then they are likely less able to play through contact that could otherwise be incidental. If they can't play through it, it's more likely to be a foul.

But I'm not calling fouls for the sole purpose of teaching the winning coach a lesson.
Old Mon Oct 27, 2008, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Here's how I do it.

If one team is clearly over matched, then they are likely less able to play through contact that could otherwise be incidental. If they can't play through it, it's more likely to be a foul.

But I'm not calling fouls for the sole purpose of teaching the winning coach a lesson.
That's well put Snags...and really what I am thinking with my ideals on this matter. Is there a slight sense of "Hey a-hole...you're up by 25-30 points and still pressing..." sure...
Old Mon Oct 27, 2008, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Here's how I do it.

Isn't this what I said on the previous page???
Old Mon Oct 27, 2008, 05:52pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBall_Junkie View Post
Isn't this what I said on the previous page???
well, then, I agree with the Junkie.
Old Mon Oct 27, 2008, 05:53pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltdoggs View Post
That's well put Snags...and really what I am thinking with my ideals on this matter. Is there a slight sense of "Hey a-hole...you're up by 25-30 points and still pressing..." sure...
Perhaps, but I try to avoid this; it really is a bias and one should try to avoid those on the court.
Old Mon Oct 27, 2008, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
For instance last week, I backed up to the coach and said, "Coach, it might be time to call off the dogs since you're up by 35." His response was, "Whoa thanks, I didn't even realize the score was that lopsided."

-Josh
First, it's not an official's place to say this to a coach, anytime, anywhere, any league.

Second, if you believe that BS I have a bridge in Brooklyn for sale.
Old Mon Oct 27, 2008, 07:22pm
Huck Finn

Rocky gave two examples of games where a team got blown out one week and blew a team out the next. Sometimes in sports, teams just get blown out and it has nothing to do with the officiating. To just look at a team pressing or whatever doesn't really give a clear picture of sportsmanship.

How about this?

How about applying that same awareness to the pursuit of the perfectly officiated game? I think that energy could be better spent someplace else. Sometimes teams are just that much better than the other team.
Old Mon Oct 27, 2008, 07:24pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyezen View Post
First, it's not an official's place to say this to a coach, anytime, anywhere, any league.

Second, if you believe that BS I have a bridge in Brooklyn for sale.
+1

You shouldn't say this to a coach. You are opening up to many possibilities. What if a coach goes off and starts yelling, "Don't worry about how I coach my team, you can't tell me what plays to call!" Are you prepared to give the coach a T? Sometimes opening your mouth can cause you to really step in it.
Old Mon Oct 27, 2008, 09:18pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Please Press ...

Back in my coaching days, we were down by twenty points at halftime, and I asked the opposing coach to please continue to press us for at least the third period, so that we could continue to work on our press break. I informed the officials, and fans, about my request, so they wouldn't think the other coach was being unsporting. It helped us. The next time a team pressed us, we were ready.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Oct 28, 2008, 12:14am
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsman1288 View Post
My intention is to get Team A out of the press and at least let Team B get the ball past half-court.

Was I wrong for doing this? Should I have let Team A continue to press the heck out of Team B?
Yes ... Your job is to referee the game. Just call it like it needs to be called and don't allow game/coaching philosophy to interfere with officiating philosophy.