The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 05, 2000, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

I am conducting a session at our State Associations certification Clinic in late October. I am looking for some refence materials.

------------------
Old Tue Sep 05, 2000, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

quote:
Originally posted by Dan:
I am conducting a session at our State Associations certification Clinic in late October. I am looking for some refence materials.

One of the greatest acticles i have every read or received is called "Relalistic Officiating",by ??? it talks about "Tower Philosophy" guildlines for officiating, guarding ,blocking screening, continuous motion, and dribbling misconceptions. The whole article talks about calling what needs to be called.

When doing an education session, and i assuming that you have your pick of topics. The one topic that i really enjoyed listen to discussed was the importance of being on the same page. This can get quite enjoyable when coaches comments are put forth, and leads into teamwork and helping your partner.
In my experience newer officials don't know how to put themselves in a postion to be heard without turning their back to the court. The one thing i now do as a senior official in my association is see what and how my partner is going to call the game. If they are going to call a tight game, then so will I. or vice versa. If they have two or three calls of the same nature i will probably have one. Anything that looks like we are a team and not two seperate individuals. Lastly you could talk about knowing your partner. Every association has member that have different personalities, i for one always adjust to my partner. Knowing who your officiating with is as important as knowing who you are officiating.

<< TEAM WORK !!!! >>
Hope that helps.
SH
keep smiling

Old Wed Sep 06, 2000, 01:49am
certified Hot Mom tester

Lightbulb

Are you a NASO member? They are a great resource for materials on almost all topics having to do with officiating, especially this topic.

Try their site at www.naso.org
Old Wed Sep 06, 2000, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Dan, You may wish to look at the various state organizations web sites and look up the state interpreters and make some phone calls to see what they use. I know Dave Smith here in Colorado has made up his own handouts to use with newbies.