The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 24, 2008, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

I didn't see it above - what was the coach's reaction? Did he try to make the case that 22 was the substitute?

Just curious...I'm with those who say asking the coach if 22 is his replacement makes the most sense.
Old Fri Oct 24, 2008, 11:38am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I disagree. What if #22 was a point guard and #50 was a center. If you "force" this to be the substitution, you've put the team at an unintended disadvantage.

Just ask "is this your replacement?"

Bob:

Thanks for your support in this matter. The check is in the mail.

MTD, Sr.

P.S. But of course the reason you ask is to make sure that he is not a replacement for another player.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Oct 24, 2008, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Does the coach have to replace the player? Can he choose to play with 4? There was a scene in Hoosiers where Gene Hackman chose not to replace his fouled out player, even though there was an eligible player on the bench. Should that have been a technical?
Old Fri Oct 24, 2008, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Bill View Post
Does the coach have to replace the player? Can he choose to play with 4? There was a scene in Hoosiers where Gene Hackman chose not to replace his fouled out player, even though there was an eligible player on the bench. Should that have been a technical?
A team must play with 5 if there are 5 eligible players.

That may or may not have been the rule in the time period Hoosiers was set.
Old Fri Oct 24, 2008, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleringer View Post
I would agree that the T should have been avoided here. If a sub is at the table, bring them in. As far as forcing a guard to take a center's spot, that isn't my concern. My concern is making sure I have 5 players on the floor. If the wrong 5 are out there, the coach needs to take care of that.
I concur with the above statement. The "T" could have been avoided. Its up to the coach to make sure the correct player is in the game to replace a DQ player. If 22 was at the x, then he comes in and 50 goes out.
Old Fri Oct 24, 2008, 06:50pm
Esteemed Forum Member

NFHS 3-1-1, and 3.1.1

3-1-1: Each team consists of five players, one of whom is the captain.
Note: A team must begin the game with five players, but if it has no substitutes to replace disqualified or injured players, it must continue with fewer than five. When there is only one player participating for a team, the team shall forfeit the game, unless the referee believes that team has an opportunity to win the game.

3.1.1 Situation: After six players have been disqualified, Team A has only four who are eligible to continue in the game as players. In a gesture of fair play, the coach of Team B indicates a desire to withdraw a player so that each team will have four players on the court. Ruling: This is not permissible. Team B must have five players participating as long as it has that number available. If no substitute is available, a team must continue with fewer than five players. When only one player remains to participate, that team shall forfeit the game unless the referee believes this team still has an opportunity to win the game.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Oct 24, 2008, 06:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
I disagree. What if #22 was a point guard and #50 was a center. If you "force" this to be the substitution, you've put the team at an unintended disadvantage.

Just ask "is this your replacement?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Bob:

Thanks for your support in this matter. The check is in the mail.

MTD, Sr.

P.S. But of course the reason you ask is to make sure that he is not a replacement for another player.
Why is there still any discussion about this? I've already posted the official NFHS play ruling, which says to do exactly as Bob has stated and for the reason that MTD writes.

So please follow the proper NFHS procedure, and remember to "Always listen to Bob."
Old Fri Oct 24, 2008, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

First off I agree you need to make sure you have the sub the coach wants in the game for a DQ'd player. However I have not found where you must hold all other subs until the coach replaces the player. I do find the exception for FT that all players who have checked in may enter on the first throw of multiples as in 3.3.1c exception and in the mechanics manual page 40 under para 2.4.5 e "Substitues may be granted until the player has been replaced and the ball is about to become live."
Old Fri Oct 24, 2008, 11:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULK1 View Post
First off I agree you need to make sure you have the sub the coach wants in the game for a DQ'd player. However I have not found where you must hold all other subs until the coach replaces the player. I do find the exception for FT that all players who have checked in may enter on the first throw of multiples as in 3.3.1c exception and in the mechanics manual page 40 under para 2.4.5 e "Substitues may be granted until the player has been replaced and the ball is about to become live."
That's because the NFHS has gone back and forth on this. In the 2002-03 Interp which I already posted, the instruction was to have the sub wait at the table until the DQ'd player was replaced and then enter at that time. The very next season replacing DQ'd players was a POE. Here is what it said:

Substituting – Player Disqualifications
The 30-second period permitted for replacing a disqualified player has been given much attention and discussion by the committee in the past several years. Because of numerous abuses and attempts to circumvent this rule, there have been rules proposals submitted ranging from doing away with the 30-second interval resulting in coaches having to make an immediate substitution, to not permitting the remaining four players near the team bench during this time frame. Rather than make a change that could negatively impact programs that are not abusing the situation, the committee felt it best to address the concerns through a Point of Emphasis before initiating any further rules changes. The 20-second warning horn included among this year’s rules changes was an attempt to facilitate this part of the game and assist coaches with making timely decisions. Coaches, officials and table officials should be mindful of the following:

A. The official should first notify the head coach and then the player of the disqualification and then start the 30-second interval. (2-8-4)
B. This period is NOT a time-out; it is for making a required substitution.
C. No time-outs may be granted to either team during this 30-second interval. (5-8-3b)
D. When the required substitute has reported to the table, the 30-second interval has ended and play shall resume immediately. Therefore, if the substitute reports to the table just after the disqualifying foul is called or reported, there is no 30-second interval necessary or permitted. If the required substitute reports within a few seconds of the 30 seconds permitted, play shall resume immediately. (3-3-1d; 3-3-2)
E. If the four players remaining in the game head toward the bench for instruction, they are to remain on the playing court. (4-34-1; 10-3-4)
F. Only the head coach is permitted to be standing during this interval. (10-5-1d)
G. When a substitute approaches the scorer’s table from the offending team, the administering official (and/or the official scorer) should ask the player if he/she is intending to replace the disqualified player.
H. If a substitute from the non-offending team or a substitute from the offending team for someone other than the disqualified player reports to the scorer during the wait for the required substitute, they may enter the game. (3-3-1d)
I. A warning horn shall now be sounded at 20 seconds if the required substitute has not reported to the scorer’s table. This is an indication to the head coach that a substitute should report immediately (2-12-5). This warning horn does not have the same substitution restrictions as a warning horn for a time-out (3-3-1a); other substitutes from either team may still report and enter the game until the ball is about to become live. (3-3-2)
J. If the coach fails to make the required substitution by the end of the 30-second interval, a direct technical foul shall be assessed to the head coach. (10-5-1d)

I'll have to check the current mechanics manual to see what it says on this, probably something entirely different!
Old Sat Oct 25, 2008, 01:59am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref

When the required substitute has reported to the table, the 30-second interval has ended and play shall resume immediately. Therefore, if the substitute reports to the table just after the disqualifying foul is called or reported, there is no 30-second interval necessary or permitted.

When a substitute approaches the scorer’s table from the offending team, the administering official (and/or the official scorer) should ask the player if he/she is intending to replace the disqualified player.
This seals the deal for me. The required substitute was at the table. The official did not ask if he intended to replace the disqualified player. (I think that part is stupid.)

No way was a T the right call the way it came down. The only way it would have been is if 22 was beckoned in and another player besides 50 left. Then when the 20 seconds was up, call the T whether 50 had left the floor or not.

Lonesome Dove