The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 14, 2003, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Maybe those of you that work NCAA can enlighten me. I understand that when a player fouls out, the coach has 30 seconds to replace them. That is, within 30 seconds, send a sub to the scorer's table. When the sub is at the table, play should resume. Correct?

More and more this looks like a 30-second timeout. Last night when the kid from Colorado fouled out, all the subs and assistants stood up, ringed the coach, started to talk, a sub went to the table and came back, the discussion continued, a horn blew, and the team broke the huddle. Is this permitted in NCAA? And if not by rule, is it understood that this behavior should be allowed?

I saw a HS playoff game two weeks ago. Here in PA we have the seat belt rule. So a player fouls out, and the coach stands up to address his four remaining players. The official tries to get him to sit but it becomes an argument. On one hand, the official is absolutely correct. On the other hand, that coach has probably seen this in hundreds of NCAA and NFHS games, and probably never seen a coach asked to sit back down.

Comments?
Old Fri Mar 14, 2003, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by A Pennsylvania Coach
That is, within 30 seconds, send a sub to the scorer's table. When the sub is at the table, play should resume. Correct?

More and more this looks like a 30-second timeout.
Pet peeve of mine, Coach. You are exactly right. It's NOT a timeout. Once the sub reports, he comes in the game and we play ball. Drives me nuts. Why? I really don't know. What does the extra 15 seconds really matter? Not much, I guess, but it's just not supposed to be a time-out.

Chuck
Old Fri Mar 14, 2003, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

There is nothing in the rules that states a coach cannot use the 30 seconds in this situation to talk to his team. As long as he gets the sub in, I've got no problem with this. Personally, I wish more coaches would do this. It's basically a free time out...don't spend it staring at the officials.
Old Fri Mar 14, 2003, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Don't agree with you TriggerMN. Once the sub is beckoned into the game he can't (legally) return to the bench..and the other 4 players must remian on the court. If all or any of the 5 are off the court, then technically a "tec" could be given. However, the best solution is to "put the ball in play"...i.e. resuming play procedure. The coach can talk to his players but they must "all" remain on the court. This is why the resuming play procedure, I think is the best way to go. Once the sub is beckoned onto the court, then it is up to the official(s) as to how long he let's them huddle-
once the sub is beckoned, then that team has 5 players and official(s) should put ball in play.
Old Fri Mar 14, 2003, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

There's nothing wrong or illegal about a coach standing and talking with the 4 remaining players or talking with the sub who's going to enter the game. However, under NF rules, the asst. coaches cannot stand and play resumes when the player is beckoned.
Old Fri Mar 14, 2003, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by A Pennsylvania Coach
Maybe those of you that work NCAA can enlighten me. I understand that when a player fouls out, the coach has 30 seconds to replace them. That is, within 30 seconds, send a sub to the scorer's table. When the sub is at the table, play should resume. Correct?

More and more this looks like a 30-second timeout. Last night when the kid from Colorado fouled out, all the subs and assistants stood up, ringed the coach, started to talk, a sub went to the table and came back, the discussion continued, a horn blew, and the team broke the huddle. Is this permitted in NCAA? And if not by rule, is it understood that this behavior should be allowed?

I saw a HS playoff game two weeks ago. Here in PA we have the seat belt rule. So a player fouls out, and the coach stands up to address his four remaining players. The official tries to get him to sit but it becomes an argument. On one hand, the official is absolutely correct. On the other hand, that coach has probably seen this in hundreds of NCAA and NFHS games, and probably never seen a coach asked to sit back down.

Comments?
This is why the 30 seconds to replace should be taken out. I undertsand they've done it succesfully in Illinois HS, there's really no reason to give the coach 30 seconds to figure out who to put in. Having said that, as far as I'm concerned the coach does get a free 30, as long as he's smart enough to keep the sub in the huddle & not send him to the table. As for the ref who decided to enforce the seatbelt rule...the best that can be said is he seems to have trouble picking his battles.
Old Fri Mar 14, 2003, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

I believe the issue here is that the coach believes he has a "timeout" rather than 30 seconds to think about who to sub.

I believe the 30 seconds are needed as the coach has been placed in a situation that he hadn't accounted for. From the standpoint of strategy he may need the time to make the decision on who to sub especially at the higher level of ball.

AS long as the sub is not beckoned in, I have no problem with the 30 seconds. However Once the sub is on the floor the coach has used his "30 Seconds" and play must continue immediately.

[Edited by RefSouthAlb on Mar 14th, 2003 at 10:09 AM]
Old Fri Mar 14, 2003, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

It is the coaches 30 seconds to use as he wishes. As soon as he sends a sub we play on. However both NCAA and FED rules agree that the coach has 30 sec. to replace this player. If he uses the first 29 talking to his team and the sub who cares??? Why are we getting bent out of shape on this. If ten people foul out in a game and each coach uses 29.9 sec to talk to his team we have delayed the game a whole 4minutes and 59sec. Big deal.... Are we really in that big of a hurry to get out of the gym??? Remember the game is for the players not us.... This is smart coaching IMO. However if the coach imm. sends the sub to the table he has lost this privilage and if he does not break on 30 we have a legit sitch for a tech. JMO
Old Fri Mar 14, 2003, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by MN 3 Sport Ref
If he uses the first 29 talking to his team and the sub who cares??? This is smart coaching IMO. However if the coach imm. sends the sub to the table he has lost this privilage and if he does not break on 30 we have a legit sitch for a tech. JMO
I don't think anyone will disagree with what you wrote above. The problem is that many coaches think that they have a 30-second timeout. They know who they're going to sub in, and send him to the table immediately, then expect to be able to talk to their kids for 25 more seconds.

I'm with you. Once the sub reports, I beckon and we play on.

Chuck
Old Fri Mar 14, 2003, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

I see what you are describing here plenty as well chuck. Once the coach sends the sub to the table to "time to replace" is over and we play on immediately. If the coach wants to use this time he needs to do it in the correct manner. Talk to team-send sub-ready for play immediately. I worked a JuCo game earlier this season where the first time we sent a player out w/ 5 the coach sent a sub and then continued the "huddle" when I forced the break I got a stare from the coach. About a minute later my partner fouled out another player on a team control foul. The same thing happened so my other partner blew the whistle and put the ball in play. You should have saw them scramble....
Old Fri Mar 14, 2003, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

I almost got a T on the other team in this situation. I had a player foul out, they lined up for the free throws and then they realized the kid had 5. The ref comes over to me and tells me and starts the clock. I know who I am going to sub in but I want to give my other four a break. While I am waiting there the other coach calls his guys over to the bench to talk to them. As soon as they got there I sent my sub up. The ref beckoned him in and then told the other team to get lined up. Ref had to ask them three times to get back on, thought I would get a T or at least a free throw violation. Just a little gamesmanship among coaches.
Old Fri Mar 14, 2003, 12:04pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
If he uses the first 29 talking to his team and the sub who cares??? This is smart coaching IMO. However if the coach imm. sends the sub to the table he has lost this privilage and if he does not break on 30 we have a legit sitch for a tech. JMO
I don't think anyone will disagree with what you wrote above.
Wanna bet?

If the sub isn't at the table,ready to be beckoned in,when the 30 second count ends,it's an automatic T charged to the head coach. When a team breaks the huddle has nothing to do with the "substitution of a disqualified player" rule.The only requisite is that they substitute for the disqualified player within 30 seconds.If they wanna stay in the huddle after the sub is beckoned in,you might be now getting into the "resuming play" rule,though,instead of a T.
Old Fri Mar 14, 2003, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

Sorry to all...I misread the original post. I did not see that the sub was already at the table, ready to be beckoned in. In this situation, bring the sub in and begin play. What I meant to way was that if the coach has not yet sent a sub to the table, he by all means is allowed that 30 seconds to coach his team on the floor...
Old Fri Mar 14, 2003, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
I don't think anyone will disagree with what you wrote above.
Wanna bet?

If the sub isn't at the table,ready to be beckoned in,when the 30 second count ends,it's an automatic T charged to the head coach. When a team breaks the huddle has nothing to do with the "substitution of a disqualified player" rule.The only requisite is that they substitute for the disqualified player within 30 seconds.If they wanna stay in the huddle after the sub is beckoned in,you might be now getting into the "resuming play" rule,though,instead of a T.
JR is correct here. We are talking about a couple of different sitchs. As soon as the sub is sent we go to resuming play. If the sub is not sent before the 30 we can have a T.
Old Fri Mar 14, 2003, 12:10pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I don't have the rule book handy, but doesn't the resuming play procedure only go into effect following a timeout? Therefore, if the coach sends his sub to the table immediately, and procedes to hold a team huddle, wouldn't a T be in order rather than the RPP? Assuming, of course, that we've given the coach notice that we're going to start play.
IOW, if it's a free throw and his players aren't in their required positions, whack 'em.
If it's a throw in and his players are on the court, give the other team the lay up.

Adam