The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 26, 2003, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Patrick Szalapski
Hello again, all. How do you guys handle this situation:

The ball is alive; the play ends, and the defensive coach starts walking out to the mound without asking for time.

I usually say, "You want time, coach?" then call time after his response.

Should I stop tooting this horn? What do you do? Thanks,

P-Sz
Old Thu Feb 27, 2003, 12:02am
Official Forum Member

Pat,

This suggests that the coach thinks he is running the show. He don't need to tell you what is going on...he is big man on campus (or field).

Time to put him in his place. First time, I would do what you said and then follow him and lightly tell him that next time he sets foot outside the dugout before mentioning time you will toss him like a salad. Smile and play ball!
Old Thu Feb 27, 2003, 01:49am
Official Forum Member

I don't toot that horn, Pat, nor do I play the macho role of Who..........

I call time if it should be called. I know what he's doing.
If there's reason he shouldn't be on the field, then I'll tell him to wait.

Why be abrasive or cause friction? That's not good for anyone.

Just my opinion,

Freix
Old Thu Feb 27, 2003, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Red face

I am with Stevey as a member of the Kinder and Gentler Umpire Club.

(Really, someone is going to tell a MANAGER that they are going to "Toss them like a Salad?" Add one to my no partner list.

This situation happens often. But should only happen once. I call the TIME and try to get some attention with either my EVIL EYE or LOOK OF ANNOYANCE. Then, during some suitable time will TELL offender that he REALLY needs to get my attention to call TIME prior to coming onto the field.

Then if doesn't comply I toss him like a Scottish Caber.
Old Thu Feb 27, 2003, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Bfair,

You are too nice. So you will let a coach take his time and stroll down the third base line and wave the kid to come talk to him while the ball is live?

You just let people stroll all over YOUR ball field when they think it is appropriate? You are very kind.

I don't think I was being macho. I said I would take the same approach as Pat, but NICELy let the manager know next time I won't allow it.

What is so macho about that? It is your ball field, and how you run it is your choice. But no one is going to strut around my ball field TWICE without asking. I don't go in their dugout, they don't come on the field without me knowing it...as in asking for TIME.

Old Thu Feb 27, 2003, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

I also would call "Time" if all play has ended however, this is one of the points I make and cover in my pre-game conference.

"Coaches, if you have a question during the game , please wait till I call time out before you come on to the field. Darting out there without time may get you in trouble."

May sound silly, but I have already politely given him a warning and established who is in control of the game.
Old Thu Feb 27, 2003, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Whowefoolin
Bfair,

You are too nice. So you will let a coach take his time and stroll down the third base line and wave the kid to come talk to him while the ball is live?

You just let people stroll all over YOUR ball field when they think it is appropriate? You are very kind.

I don't think I was being macho. I said I would take the same approach as Pat, but NICELy let the manager know next time I won't allow it.

What is so macho about that? It is your ball field, and how you run it is your choice. But no one is going to strut around my ball field TWICE without asking. I don't go in their dugout, they don't come on the field without me knowing it...as in asking for TIME.

I guess I'd have to call it telepathic powers, but there are times when it's quite obvious that the coach or someone else wants time---so I'll call it since there's an obvious reason.

I've seen pitchers give a little shake of the ball while looking at the plate and merely lob it to a catcher to change balls. While F1 doesn't say a single word, I somehow manage to know what he wants. Amazingly, you somehow make me feel like Kreskin............. ;-)

BTW, the people in Cleveland are headed to get more beer when they see the coach walking to the mound. Come to think of it, though, the people I know from Cleveland are always headed for more beer for any reason..........

Freix

Old Thu Feb 27, 2003, 07:21pm
Official Forum Member

I always thought the people in Cleveland threw all their beer on the field.

They actually drink it?
Old Thu Feb 27, 2003, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

that's why they always need to go get more!