The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 23, 2008, 11:36pm
We don't rent pigs

Coach fails to replace dq'ed player

Tonight, boys varsity. Black number 50 commits his fifth personal foul. Partner reports the foul, then tells coach 50 has 5. Coach asks a question about the foul, partner gives a brief answer. Coach nods. Everybody seems satisfied. But coach just keeps standing there. 50 keeps standing there on the court. Partner says 20 seconds. 5 seconds....horn 15 more seconds...horn Partner call a T on the coach for failing to replace his player. BUT, 22 black was standing at the X waiting to check in before the foul was ever committed, and continued to stand there until after the T call. Partner apparently wanted the coach to specify that 22 was to replace his fouled out player. I said as far as I knew, the coach had a sub standing on the X, so no further action or comment was necessary.
Right?

Lonesome Dove

Last edited by just another ref; Fri Oct 24, 2008 at 07:52am.
Old Fri Oct 24, 2008, 12:26am
Official Forum Member

YOu are correct as far as I can tell. Coach has been notified. And there's a sub ready to check in. So 50 leaves, 22 comes in, let's get the game going again. No need for a T here from what I can see.
Old Fri Oct 24, 2008, 03:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Tonight, boys varsity. Black number 50 commits his fifth personal foul. Partner reports the foul, then tells coach 50 has 5. Coach asks a question about the foul, partner gives a brief answer. Coach nods. Everybody seems satisfied. But coach just keeps standing there. 50 keeps standing there on the court. Partner says 20 seconds. 15 seconds....horn 5 more seconds...horn Partner call a T on the coach for failing to replace his player. BUT, 22 black was standing at the X waiting to check in before the foul was ever committed, and continued to stand there until after the T call. Partner apparently wanted the coach to specify that 22 was to replace his fouled out player. I said as far as I knew, the coach had a sub standing on the X, so no further action or comment was necessary.
Right?
First, I hope that YOU typed this backwards, not that the timer did it backwards. It should be "5 seconds...horn, 15 more seconds...horn."

Secondly, there was an NFHS play ruling that says that if a sub from the team with the DQ'd player comes to the table, or is at the table, during the DQ interval, the official should ask who he is replacing.

Here it is:

2002-03 NFHS BASKETBALL RULES INTERPRETATIONS

SITUATION 3: A1 fouls out of the game. The Team A coach talks to a substitute and within 15 seconds sends the substitute to the table to report in the game. A Team B player then requests a time-out. RULING: Since a time-out may not be granted until a disqualified player is replaced, the administering official should ask the substitute at the table if he/she is the replacement for A1. If so, the time-out may be granted. If not, the substitute shall remain at the table and the coach must still replace A1 within the specified timeframe before the time-out may be granted. (3-3-1;10-5-1d; 5-8-3b)
Old Fri Oct 24, 2008, 06:48am
Esteemed Forum Member

Black 50, That's Your Fifth Foul ...

Black 50 became bench personnel when the head coach was informed that he had fouled out, but did anyone ever tell Black 50, as the rules state, that he had fouled out? It's not clear in the original post.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Oct 24, 2008, 07:26am
Administrator

Quote:
Tonight, boys varsity. Black number 50 commits his fifth personal foul. Partner reports the foul, then tells coach 50 has 5. Coach asks a question about the foul, partner gives a brief answer. Coach nods. Everybody seems satisfied. But coach just keeps standing there. 50 keeps standing there on the court. Partner says 20 seconds. 15 seconds....horn 5 more seconds...horn Partner call a T on the coach for failing to replace his player. BUT, 22 black was standing at the X waiting to check in before the foul was ever committed, and continued to stand there until after the T call. Partner apparently wanted the coach to specify that 22 was to replace his fouled out player. I said as far as I knew, the coach had a sub standing on the X, so no further action or comment was necessary.
Right?

This is a TF that could have been avoided.

1) Report the foul.

2) Notify HC of 50's 5th foul.

3) Signal time to start substitution timer.

4) Notify partners of 50's 5th foul.

5) Upon seeing 22 standing on the X, ask HC if 22 is replacing 50.
a) If yes, bring 22 into the game and get it restarted.
b) If no, get a subsitute in for 50 first and then bring in 22.

6) If, after the HC has given a no answer to the official's quesiton and still refuses to substitute for 50, then a TF by the HC has occured. By rule the officials could not have ordered 22 into the game to replace 50 so as to avoid charging the HC with a TF, but it would be worth a try.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Oct 24, 2008, 08:00am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
First, I hope that YOU typed this backwards, not that the timer did it backwards. It should be "5 seconds...horn, 15 more seconds...horn."

Secondly, there was an NFHS play ruling that says that if a sub from the team with the DQ'd player comes to the table, or is at the table, during the DQ interval, the official should ask who he is replacing.

Here it is:

2002-03 NFHS BASKETBALL RULES INTERPRETATIONS

SITUATION 3: A1 fouls out of the game. The Team A coach talks to a substitute and within 15 seconds sends the substitute to the table to report in the game. A Team B player then requests a time-out. RULING: Since a time-out may not be granted until a disqualified player is replaced, the administering official should ask the substitute at the table if he/she is the replacement for A1. If so, the time-out may be granted. If not, the substitute shall remain at the table and the coach must still replace A1 within the specified timeframe before the time-out may be granted. (3-3-1;10-5-1d; 5-8-3b)
Typed what backwards? Yeah, yeah, it was me. I fixed it. This situation seems to be more about granting the timeout than anything else.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Oct 24, 2008, 08:01am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Black 50 became bench personnel when the head coach was informed that he had fouled out, but did anyone ever tell Black 50, as the rules state, that he had fouled out? It's not clear in the original post.

Yes

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Oct 24, 2008, 08:13am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
This is a TF that could have been avoided.

1) Report the foul.

2) Notify HC of 50's 5th foul.

3) Signal time to start substitution timer.

4) Notify partners of 50's 5th foul.

5) Upon seeing 22 standing on the X, ask HC if 22 is replacing 50.
a) If yes, bring 22 into the game and get it restarted.
b) If no, get a subsitute in for 50 first and then bring in 22.

6) If, after the HC has given a no answer to the official's quesiton and still refuses to substitute for 50, then a TF by the HC has occured. By rule the officials could not have ordered 22 into the game to replace 50 so as to avoid charging the HC with a TF, but it would be worth a try.

MTD, Sr.
What makes it proper/necessary to ask? 22 had properly reported, giving his number which is all that a substitute is required to do, is it not? 3-3-1 If 22 wasn't originally in for 50, he is now. You have one player waiting to come in, and one who now must go out. This seems to me that it kinda resolves itself.

10-5-2: "The head coach shall replace or remove a disqualified player within 20 seconds when a substitute is available."

If a guy is at the X, I consider this obligation filled, regardless of when the guy got there.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Oct 24, 2008, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What makes it proper/necessary to ask? 22 had properly reported, giving his number which is all that a substitute is required to do, is it not? 3-3-1 If 22 wasn't originally in for 50, he is now. You have one player waiting to come in, and one who now must go out. This seems to me that it kinda resolves itself.
I disagree. What if #22 was a point guard and #50 was a center. If you "force" this to be the substitution, you've put the team at an unintended disadvantage.

Just ask "is this your replacement?"
Old Fri Oct 24, 2008, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

I think once you notify the coach and see 22 at the table, you beckon him in. Look and see who leaves the floor. If it's 50, all is well. If not, follow the replacing player procedure.
Old Fri Oct 24, 2008, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
I think once you notify the coach and see 22 at the table, you beckon him in. Look and see who leaves the floor. If it's 50, all is well. If not, follow the replacing player procedure.
But, isn't the replcement for 50 supposed to be the first player in, before any other subs can be allowed in?

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Oct 24, 2008, 09:56am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
What if #22 was a point guard and #50 was a center. If you "force" this to be the substitution, you've put the team at an unintended disadvantage.
I would agree there is no harm in asking "is this your replacement?" But, respectfully disagree with above. While I understand your point, I don't believe an official "forced" anything. Is our job to ensure there are five per team on the court or to ensure there are two forwards, two guards, and a center? What if the coach wanted to go with a smaller lineup? Isn't the coaches job to ensure he's got the proper lineup on the floor? If he's confused about his alignment and sees the problem he can also call a timeout after the replacement, right? JMO
Old Fri Oct 24, 2008, 10:22am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I disagree. What if #22 was a point guard and #50 was a center. If you "force" this to be the substitution, you've put the team at an unintended disadvantage.

Just ask "is this your replacement?"
I agree there is no harm in asking. But since he didn't ask, and there was a substitute there waiting to come on the floor, I'm saying no way was the T justified. Agreed?

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Oct 24, 2008, 10:40am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
That can't happen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
But, isn't the replcement for 50 supposed to be the first player in, before any other subs can be allowed in?
...due to this reason!
Old Fri Oct 24, 2008, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

I would agree that the T should have been avoided here. If a sub is at the table, bring them in. As far as forcing a guard to take a center's spot, that isn't my concern. My concern is making sure I have 5 players on the floor. If the wrong 5 are out there, the coach needs to take care of that.