The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 05, 2004, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

reviewing rules 4-15 and 9-5-3 ---

it says in 4-15-4d that one way a dribble ends is when an opponent bats (intentionally strikes) the ball. I started thinking about an interrupted dribble contacting another player. I understand the dribbler can "catch up" to an interrupted dribble and continue the dribble. Let's say the ball contacts another player (opponent or teammate)during an interrupted dribble...has this contact with another player ended the dribble? I'm thinking the dribble has not ended. Does this mean then, that the dribbler can only "continue" the dribble? Would it be an illegal dribble to recover the ball (grab it with two hands) and dribble again?

Does rule 9-5-3 have any application here? (a player can dribble a second time if it is after he/she has lost control because of a fumble which has then touched another player).
Old Fri Mar 05, 2004, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to N_Stripes
Player control has ended when the ball is slapped or hits the B player. A1 may recover the ball and begin a new dribble. Make note however, that team control has not ended.
Old Fri Mar 05, 2004, 10:58am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by mdray

Let's say the ball contacts another player (opponent or teammate)during an interrupted dribble...has this contact with another player ended the dribble? I'm thinking the dribble has not ended. Does this mean then, that the dribbler can only "continue" the dribble? Would it be an illegal dribble to recover the ball (grab it with two hands) and dribble again?

The bat by the defense ended the original dribble.The dribbler can legally recover the ball and dribble again. Case book play 4.15.4SitF.
Old Fri Mar 05, 2004, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

what I'm asking (but not very well)is, if the contact with the opponent is NOT a result of a bat by the opponent -- say the ball gets away from the dribbler and it just bounces off a defender....has that dribble ended and can another one begin as a result of the ball contacting the opponent?
Old Fri Mar 05, 2004, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

anytime the ball contacts any other player in any way the dribble has ended.
Old Fri Mar 05, 2004, 11:19am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by mdray
what I'm asking (but not very well)is, if the contact with the opponent is NOT a result of a bat by the opponent -- say the ball gets away from the dribbler and it just bounces off a defender....has that dribble ended and can another one begin as a result of the ball contacting the opponent?
Yes, the dribble ended with the touching by any other player(not necessarily the defense alone), and the player can then dribble again. See rule 9-5-3- "a player shall not dribble a second time after his/her first dribble has ended, unless it is because he/she has lost control because of a pass or fumble which has then touched, or been touched by, another player".