The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 01, 2001, 06:51pm
Official Forum Member

A1 is shooting a 1+1. Without going into the details of how this happened, suffice it to say the lead does not award A1 his second FT after making the first. Instead, team B inbounds the ball, fast breaks down the court and shoots a 3-pointer.

Team B complains they have another FT coming and were not playing defense.

Immediately after B's 3-pointer, the trail stops the game, awards A1 one FT with the lane cleared, counts the 3-points by team B and awards the inbound to team A under B's basket.

Is this correct procedure for an unawarded FT where the ball has changed hands and the other team has scored?
Old Wed Aug 01, 2001, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

First, I'm going to assume that team A were the ones complaining about lack of defense (seeing team B scored a 3).

This is proper procedure under 2-10.

(1) It was discovered during the first dead ball after the clock had started (the made basket).

(2) Points, time, and activity were not erased.

(3) Play was resumed from the point of interruption, as there was change in possesion. Because there would be no need for rebounding, the lane was clear.
Old Thu Aug 02, 2001, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

What if...

So lets say after B's 3 pointer, Team A inbounds the ball takes the ball down, scores, and then trys for a corectable error while Team B is or after Team B has inbounded the ball.
Does the 2nd made basket also constitute the 2nd dead ball and the error is no longer correctable?
jc
Old Fri Aug 03, 2001, 07:16am
Official Forum Member

Re: What if...

Quote:
Originally posted by Just Curious
So lets say after B's 3 pointer, Team A inbounds the ball takes the ball down, scores, and then trys for a corectable error while Team B is or after Team B has inbounded the ball.
Does the 2nd made basket also constitute the 2nd dead ball and the error is no longer correctable?
jc
Yes -- the error is no longer correctable.
Old Sun Aug 05, 2001, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

1 and 1

I don't think team a should get an attempt because the limitation for the correctable error has already been passed.
The ball became dead after A successfully made his first try.
The ball became live and the clock started upon inbounds by B.
The ball became dead after successful try by B.
Two dead balls have occurred before A's complaint on error in awarding free throw.
Old Sun Aug 05, 2001, 07:22pm
Official Forum Member

Re: 1 and 1

Quote:
Originally posted by MOFFICIAL
I don't think team a should get an attempt because the limitation for the correctable error has already been passed.
The ball became dead after A successfully made his first try.
The ball became live and the clock started upon inbounds by B.
The ball became dead after successful try by B.
Two dead balls have occurred before A's complaint on error in awarding free throw.
You'd be incorrect. The first dead ball has nothing to do with the play. The error was discovered during the first dead ball after the clock started, as required. Therefore, it is still correctable. NF 2-10-2

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Aug 06, 2001, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Re: 1 and 1

Let me take a shot at clarifying the deadball....

Quote:
I The ball became dead after A successfully made his first try.
While it is true that the ball is dead, there is no error yet. The error will not happen until B inbounds the ball and play commences. Hope this helps....
Old Tue Aug 07, 2001, 07:51pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: 1 and 1

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Ogg
Let me take a shot at clarifying the deadball....

Quote:
I The ball became dead after A successfully made his first try.
While it is true that the ball is dead, there is no error yet. The error will not happen until B inbounds the ball and play commences. Hope this helps....
OK just so I'm clear on this. The dead ball after the first successful free throw is not significant because the clock had not properly started prior to that dead ball. Right?

I learn so much here!
Thanks!
Old Tue Aug 07, 2001, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: 1 and 1

Quote:
OK just so I'm clear on this. The dead ball after the first successful free throw is not significant because the clock had not properly started prior to that dead ball. Right?

I learn so much here!
Thanks!
Yes - the error must be recognized during (or before - although blowing the whistle to recognize the error causes a dead ball) the first dead ball after the clock has properly started following a clock-stopped correctible error.
Old Wed Aug 08, 2001, 07:20am
Official Forum Member

Just to be crystal clear.
The whistle stopping play for a correctable error does not count as a dead ball for purposes of correcting a correctable error.
Old Wed Aug 08, 2001, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The whistle stopping play for a correctable error does not count as a dead ball for purposes of correcting a correctable error.
Sure it does. In this play, had an official stopped the clock prior to B scoring for any reason, including the possible correction of an error, the error would have to be corrected during that dead ball.

Let's say the official stops the clock, asked the scorer if the shooter should have gotten another shot and the scorer said no. B inbounds the ball, scores, the ball becomes dead and not A has the ball. Now the scorer realizes there should have been another shot. It's too late to correct the error.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Aug 08, 2001, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes, it does - which is why the correctable error statue of limitations says during the first dead ball - not before.