The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 09, 2003, 07:16am
Official Forum Member

Got my first game action last night and it went pretty well. But I've noticed a quirk in my technique that I started doing last year toward the end of the season that I started doing this first time out.

The quirk is, on some plays I see what's happening and I think I want to make a call. But some where between blowing the whistle to complete the call my right arm goes half way up and I don't blow the whistle. So far I haven't gotten any negative feedback from players, coaches, spectators, or my partners. This is rec ball, but if I'm to advance, I'd like to correct this emerging habit.

My opinion is, that I'm anxious to make the call, but descretion takes over and in my mind it becomes a "no call."

Has anyone else experienced this?

What are your opinions?

What are your suggestions?
Old Tue Dec 09, 2003, 07:42am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Been there, done that. I even took a little heat from coaches (it's only a matter of time.) Try to develop a slower whistle (one or two seconds), and a little patience. I found the problem went away when I quit rushing things in my overall game. As my assignor put it to me, "Take your time, they're not going to start without you."
Old Tue Dec 09, 2003, 07:54am
Official Forum Member

Relax and slow down. Of course, it will take a couple of years of experience to do those two things. In the meantime, when you do when of those arm halfway up actions, just go ahead and act like you were meaning to fix your hair. I used to do it that. Unfortunately, it didn't come off as too smooth since I shave my head.
Old Tue Dec 09, 2003, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

I do this sometimes as well. It happens when I anticipate a foul, the arm begins to rise, but it turns out to be incidental contact, and the arm quickly drops. And I've taken some heat from it, as you would expect. Time, experience, and conscious effort helped me overcome the anticipating problem when I worked baseball. I assume it'll help here too.
Old Tue Dec 09, 2003, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

I've done it too but the thing to remember which is most important is that you got it right.
Old Tue Dec 09, 2003, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Cyber-Ref
Got my first game action last night and it went pretty well. But I've noticed a quirk in my technique that I started doing last year toward the end of the season that I started doing this first time out.

The quirk is, on some plays I see what's happening and I think I want to make a call. But some where between blowing the whistle to complete the call my right arm goes half way up and I don't blow the whistle. So far I haven't gotten any negative feedback from players, coaches, spectators, or my partners. This is rec ball, but if I'm to advance, I'd like to correct this emerging habit.

My opinion is, that I'm anxious to make the call, but descretion takes over and in my mind it becomes a "no call."

Has anyone else experienced this?

What are your opinions?

What are your suggestions?
This is progress - you've learned to hold your whistle until the play is completed. Problem is your arm hasn't gotten the news yet...no biggie, only problem is if you happen to run into a yapping coach who notices this and might use it against you. But again, no biggie, as long as you get the call right he has nothing to complain about IMO.

Keep working hard it will come together
Old Tue Dec 09, 2003, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Caught myself doing this the other night. I tend to do this earlier in the season till I get my basketball legs under me again. Beginning of the season Im anxious to be on the floor again. I am not saying that I do not do this later in the season....Just less often.

AK ref SE
Old Tue Dec 09, 2003, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
You'll stop a lot faster if a coach gets bugged by it.
Old Tue Dec 09, 2003, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
When a coach says something to me about it (I have the same problem) I usually say "I was communicating to my partner". Or if I catch myself doing it once - i'll scratch the back of my head and pretend like thats what i was going to do. This usually only happens once in a game.
Old Tue Dec 09, 2003, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Done that. It happens when you anticipate the call. Just train yourself to have a slower whistle, and the slower arm will follow.