The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 10, 2007, 12:29am
Official Forum Member

Rookie Official Experience

I live in Florida, Pinellas County, and just finished my first year officiating basketball. After 20 years in Engineering/Sales, I made a career change and now have a schedule that allows me to referee basketball.

I worked about 40 Middle School games and the following are my observations.

1. It was a lot of fun
2. Coaches and fans DO respect an official who is cordial and makes an effort. I received many compliments from coaches and FANS--even while I was walking to my vehicle after a game, and fans while driving, complimented while in their vehicles.
3. At the younger age, players and coaches respect "educating" and helping the players.
4. Great exercise
5. Provides a better understanding of the game.
6. Coaches and fans DO have a right to criticize during a game. Most of the time, I missed a call or was out of position.
7. Management of the game is a lot more important than knowing the rules.
8. A great way to give back to the youth of America. While I was growing up a lot of people helped me.
9. Girls games, by far, are more difficult than boys games. I called three intentional fouls this year and all were for the girls.
10. About 1/3 of the veteran partners I had for Middle School games acted like it was "below them" to officiate these games. Veteran officials should realize that the school districts are their customers. Not surprisngly, the other 2/3 of my veteran partners were, by far, better officials.

Please share your comment/opinions.

More importantly, I will be back next year.
Old Sat Feb 10, 2007, 01:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerfan

Hey badgerfan,

I'm glad you had a good time and I'm glad you will be back next year. I agree with quite a bit of what you wrote. Here is what I did not agree with:

6) Coaches do not have a right to criticize officials. They can ask questions and work with us to make the game better, but they do not have the right to criticize.

7) Managing the game and knowing the rules are BOTH important.

9) Girls games are not necessarily more difficult than boys games. Just different. I have called more intentional fouls in boys games than in girls games.
Old Sat Feb 10, 2007, 01:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraman
Hey badgerfan,

I'm glad you had a good time and I'm glad you will be back next year. I agree with quite a bit of what you wrote. Here is what I did not agree with:

6) Coaches do not have a right to criticize officials. They can ask questions and work with us to make the game better, but they do not have the right to criticize.

7) Managing the game and knowing the rules are BOTH important.

9) Girls games are not necessarily more difficult than boys games. Just different. I have called more intentional fouls in boys games than in girls games.
Thanks for the reply:

6) Constructive criticizm from coaches is probabably a better term.

7) Have to disagree with you. Anybody can read the rule book (I had a 96 on the FHSAA exam), but an official still has to know the game and how to manage people.

9) The girls you officiate must be more like "ladies". It is very well known, in West Central Florida, the girls games are lot more difficult to officiate.

Again, thanks for your opinion
Old Sat Feb 10, 2007, 01:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks for the reply:

7) Have to disagree with you. Anybody can read the rule book (I had a 96 on the FHSAA exam), but an official still has to know the game and how to manage people.

9) The girls you officiate must be more like "ladies". It is very well known, in West Central Florida, the girls games are lot more difficult to officiate.

Again, thanks for your opinion
badgerfan,

Criticism is not allowed. Officials need to be treated with respect. Questions like, "what did you see on that call" are fine. If you allow criticism, you are not maintaining sportsmanship. Respect yourself and expect respect from coaches.

I know officials (long time veterans at times) who can manage a game but make traveling calls when the player doesn't have control of the ball or they call a kicked ball when the ball is struck with the foot unintentionally. I can manage the game by myself if I have to. I can't always "fix" those calls.

I have heard people say that girls games are more difficult to officiate. They are just different. Boys games are more intense and up around the rim. Girls games are more fundamental but less contact creates an advantage so you can't let them play through as much. The adjustment isn't that hard.
Old Sat Feb 10, 2007, 02:17am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Thanks for the reply:

6) Listen to Z. Criticism of any kind during the game from a coach is not allowed. Period. If you tolerate that, you are doing all of your fellow officials a dis-service. Nip it. Nip it in the bud. Fans do have a right to criticize. Any official who listens to those fans however is either very new or not too bright. Fans don't know squat about the rules.

7) You cannot manage a game properly without knowing the rules.

And saying girls games are more difficult to officiate is just sheer nonsense imo.
Old Sat Feb 10, 2007, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

I'm glad to see you have enjoyed yourself and are planning on coming back again next season. If you don't enjoy it, don't do it.
I have to agree with several of the others about knowing and "applying" the rules. It is the difference between professional officials and someone just coming out of the stands.
I also agree with you that game management is extremely important. A good combination of knowledge and management is needed.
As far as fans go, most are there for one team or the other and see things with blinders on. You will do better to not listen to them. That doesn't mean that sometimes they may have a better angle than both you and your partner(s).
Good luck on next season. Get a mentor if you can to improve your game.
Old Sat Feb 10, 2007, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
6) Listen to Z. Criticism of any kind during the game from a coach is not allowed. Period. If you tolerate that, you are doing all of your fellow officials a dis-service. Nip it. Nip it in the bud. Fans do have a right to criticize. Any official who listens to those fans however is either very new or not too bright. Fans don't know squat about the rules.

7) You cannot manage a game properly without knowing the rules.

And saying girls games are more difficult to officiate is just sheer nonsense imo.
Take what Z & JR have said to heart - it's good advice. Now I'll add my $0.02....

6) Anything a coach says to you is an attempt, consciously or subconsciously, to influence you to see things their way. The vast majority of MS coaches have little or no knowledge of either the rules or nuances of basketball. Fans are worse. During the game I completely ignore them unless they get way out of line, then I'll have game management remove them.

We realize that the MS environment puts officials into more post game contact with both coaches & fans. We're not advocating being rude. If they have legitimate questions, answer them - turn it into a teaching opportunity. But if they simply want to complain or criticize, simply say "thank you for your opinion", then turn and walk away.

7) Good game management requires a number of things. People skills are definitely a plus, but a solid working knowledge of the rules is essential. Not only do you need to know the rules, you need to know how to apply them correctly.....and that takes time to learn - certainly more than one season working MS games. Study your case books, go watch officials work higher level games & observe what they do, ask them why they do things a certain way.

As to difficulty of girls vs boys - re-read what Z posted........as you get more experience the adjustments will get easier.

Congrats on completing your first year as an official! I hope you stick with it

Last edited by TimTaylor; Sat Feb 10, 2007 at 10:12am.
Old Sat Feb 10, 2007, 10:07am
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor
6) Anything a coach says to you is an attempt, consciously or subconsciously, to influence you to see things their way. The vast majority of MS coaches have little or no knowledge of either the rules or nuances of basketball. Fans are worse. During the game I completely ignore then unless they get way out of line, then I'll have game management remove them.

We realize that the MS environment puts officials into more post game contact with both coaches & fans. We're not advocating being rude. If they have legitimate questions, answer them - turn it into a teaching opportunity. But if they simply want to complain or criticize, simply say "thank you for your opinion", then turn and walk away.

7) Good game management requires a number of things. People skills are definitely a plus, but a solid working knowledge of the rules is essential. Not only do you need to know the rules, you need to know how to apply them correctly.....and that takes time to learn - certainly more than one season working MS games. Study your case books, go watch officials work higher level games & observe what they do, ask them why they do things a certain way.

As to difficulty of girls vs boys - re-read what Z posted........as you get more experience the adjustments will get easier.
Well said, Tim.
Old Sat Feb 10, 2007, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor
Take what Z & JR have said to heart - it's good advice. Now I'll add my $0.02....

6) Anything a coach says to you is an attempt, consciously or subconsciously, to influence you to see things their way. The vast majority of MS coaches have little or no knowledge of either the rules or nuances of basketball. Fans are worse. During the game I completely ignore them unless they get way out of line, then I'll have game management remove them.

Congrats on completing your first year as an official! I hope you stick with it
I'm going to disagree with all 3 of you. A coach DOES have the right to criticize. Girl's middle school IS harder than boys middle school. Knowing how to deal with people IS an important part of being a good official, at this level maybe even more important than a complete understanding of the rules.

For a first year guy to come to this understanding shows he's got promise.
Old Sat Feb 10, 2007, 11:09am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
9. Girls games, by far, are more difficult than boys games. I called three intentional fouls this year and all were for the girls.
I partly agree. In my experiences, girls games below the Varsity level have always been my most difficult to officiate.
Old Sat Feb 10, 2007, 08:54pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
As a new ref I agree with much of what is stated here. I do a lot of MS and F, both girls and boys, and do find them different to manage. Not necessarily harder, just different.

My toughest adjustment is the coaches and fans and tuning them out. Also agrees with the comment about some (few) senior officials. Many feel F and MS games are beneath them and don't treat us newer guys "too well". Some have really taken me under their wing and really tried to coach and mentor me. It is greatly appreciated!! Others just don't know how to pass on constructive criticism properly. I learn from them too!

Today, I did a 12yr old boys rec game with my mentor, who has done hs for many yrs. We had an absolute blast! He has taught me a great deal and I hope I can pass it on in the future!!
Old Sat Feb 10, 2007, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I live in Florida, Pinellas County, and just finished my first year officiating basketball. After 20 years in Engineering/Sales, I made a career change and now have a schedule that allows me to referee basketball.

I worked about 40 Middle School games and the following are my observations.

1. It was a lot of fun
2. Coaches and fans DO respect an official who is cordial and makes an effort. I received many compliments from coaches and FANS--even while I was walking to my vehicle after a game, and fans while driving, complimented while in their vehicles.
3. At the younger age, players and coaches respect "educating" and helping the players.
4. Great exercise
5. Provides a better understanding of the game.
6. Coaches and fans DO have a right to criticize during a game. Most of the time, I missed a call or was out of position.
7. Management of the game is a lot more important than knowing the rules.
8. A great way to give back to the youth of America. While I was growing up a lot of people helped me.
10. About 1/3 of the veteran partners I had for Middle School games acted like it was "below them" to officiate these games. Veteran officials should realize that the school districts are their customers. Not surprisngly, the other 2/3 of my veteran partners were, by far, better officials.

More importantly, I will be back next year.
My edits to a great end of year summary.....

#6 > Coach's and fans can comment, participate and contribute to the action. There is, unfortunately a limit to it and you'll see what I mean soon enough.

#7 > Game management cannot be overlooked and does not have its own rule book and test for each of us to apply. BUT, don't know the rules and its IMPOSSIBLE to develop effective management style and best efforts cannot overcome poor rules knowledge or application.
Old Sun Feb 11, 2007, 12:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
I disagree with the premise that criticism from a coach is wrong. Of couse they can critisize - even to my face - but they cannot be disprespectful. In the leagues I officiate in, not only can they be critical, they can scratch your a$$ if they really want to. I hope you really don't mean you won't allow a coach to "pass judgement" on whether you made the correct call or not - again, IMO, if they are respectful - criticise away!

I would also state that boys vs. girls games where one is more difficult is all perception. I could make an arguement that when comparing equal levels one is more difficult than the other. Girls are usually slower, weaker and can't jump as high as boys at the same age level. Therefore, if you are comparing MS basketball - the girls is usually sloppier (less skilled), more physical because the players can't control their movements as well, and slower. If MS bball in your area is different then thank your lucky stars for that . . . I would venture that my description is more accurate. That being the case, a slower, more physical, and sloppier game tends to be more difficult to call. What do I pass on vs. what do I need to call . . . I wouldn't state that is the case simply because you called more IF's though, but rather on the skill level of the players.

I agree with the other seasoned officials in that rule knowledge and game management skills are of equal importance. If you have one without the other you will not go very far as an official.

Good luck to you in the future!

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.