The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 11, 2007, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Rookie Official Experience-take II

About 75 games into my first year with two weeks to go, working subvarsity during the week and some youth tourney's on the weekends. Here's my two cents on my first year as an official in the land of cheese/and in the land of 10,000 lakes (this is in essence a follow up or an addition to the thread "badgerfan" started):

1. I too had fun, even though there were ups and downs. I feel challenged to get better at this avocation.

2. You need a firm grasp of the rules. Significant study, reading the rulebook/casebook, talking to other officials, utilizing this forum, are essential to calling a good game and having confidence. Studying isn't quite enough...you've got to experience many things by seeing them for the first time...learning from mistakes.

3. Badgerfan mentioned being cordial as a way of attaining coach/fan respect. I agree to an extent. I believe that being professional, confident, and competent are what leads to respect.

4. Confidence is key...you've got to know the rules to have a base for confidence...you've got to approach each game with the belief that you're going to call the best game you possibly can...you've got to slow down and process just a bit before making a call...you've got to make calls as though you've been there before. Even if you're not confident, speaking to rookies here, tell yourself over and over that you are. Self talk has a way of coming true.

(Badgerfan: "Managment of the game is a lot more important than knowing the rules"). IMO, if you don't know the rules, then you've got game managment problems. Knowing the rules and having good judgment when applying them is the baseline for good game management.

5. Great exercise, as Badgerfan said. My ankles and knees are aching...three double headers this week-I'm getting old.

6. I enjoy the challenge of trying to get better at something. It's almost like I'm competing in sports again.

7. I enjoy being around sports...it gets me out of the house on these sub-zero nights into an environement where there's excitement and energy. Nothing like sports!

8. Hate to say it, but I'm getting addicted to the money. My family had a real nice weekend in lovely Duluth (-32 wind chill) with some of my earnings.

9. Getting to know other officials. I haven't always been great at keeping in touch with friends over the years. Officiating allows me to meet others with similar interests. I'm not a big hunter or gatherer, my interests is and has been sports.

10. Baderfan mentioned that 1/3 of the officials he has worked with seemed to believe that working MS games was beneath them. People are people. All of our places of work have people with various personalities and interests. Officiating is no different. I'm looking to work with and build friendships with officials who are good people, who give a crap about what they're doing (not matter what level game), and who don't mind having some yuks along the way. We will always deal with people who don't see things eye to eye, that's life. Just think if everyone was a Packers fan, although that would be a great world, it'd also be a bit booring.

11 Badgerfan mentioned a difference between boys' and girls' games, personally, I don't care who plays...it's all good.

12. Regarding the "criticize" comment from the the Badgerfan thread. It's competition...I realize that whenever emotions are involved there will be reactions, including some criticism. However, if the comments are continuous or become personal, the action must be nipped in the bud.

13. Get to contests early, dress the part, meet game management, introduce yourself to officials working other games at the school...listen and learn. Also, figure how long it will take to travel and get your directions down well before the game. Also, check and re-check about three more times your bag...how many times do I need to check to see if I have my whistle attached to my shirt...jeez. Does anyone else check their bags three four times and arrange your contents in such a way that the last thing put into the bag is the first thing you'll put on when getting ready for the game?

Last edited by dan74; Sun Feb 11, 2007 at 01:25pm.
Old Sun Feb 11, 2007, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Well said.
Old Sun Feb 11, 2007, 01:00pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Bag Checklist

I've actually made up a laminated checklist. The original purpose was in case someone in my family had to pack my bag for me in an emergency situation, like getting a last minute fill-in phone call at work when my bag's at home. However, I find myself checking the bag with this list everytime, just in case. Twice in twenty-six years, previous to me making this checklist, I've left a part of my uniform home. Never again. Of course, I'm also on medication for obsessive compulsive disorder.
Old Sun Feb 11, 2007, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds like you have picked up so much more than what a rookie would have after ther 1st year. As a prior post, ditto, well said.
Yes, I pack my bag the same way, what goes in last, goes on 1st. After its all packed, I mentally 'put' on each piece to be sure I have everything.