Old Fri Oct 10, 2008, 06:39am
Esteemed Forum Member

I'll Give It A Shot ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
MTD,
When did the FT end?
When the "try" touches the floor ???
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Oct 10, 2008, 06:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
When the "try" touches the floor ???
A player is trying for goal when the player has the ball and in the official's judgment is throwing or attempting to throw for goal.
Old Fri Oct 10, 2008, 07:02am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
MTD,
When did the FT end?
I'll try:
After the 10 second count?
Old Fri Oct 10, 2008, 07:20am
Administrator

My two (2) cents, Part II.

Based upon the wording of the rule and the casebook play, it is my opinion that the free throw try ended when the ball hit the floor. The casebook play does not mention a ten (10) second violation.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Oct 10, 2008, 08:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Based upon the wording of the rule and the casebook play, it is my opinion that the free throw try ended when the ball hit the floor. The casebook play does not mention a ten (10) second violation.

MTD, Sr.
I agree that this is what they are trying to accomplish. I also think it's the "right" ruling. I'm just not sure it's (fully / clearly) supported by the current rules.

My guess is that the rules committee means that the "throw" in 9-1-3A is the ONLY legal way for A1 to lose player control -- any other way is a violation. The rule doesn't say that, though.

Suppose A1 passed the ball to A2 (on the lane) who passed it back. A1 then attempts the FT (all within 10 seconds; no one leaves a space). Has A1 (or anyone on A) violated?

(There's a similar argument going on in one of the baseball threads -- if the rules says a player "shall" do something, does that mean that the player can "ONLY" do that.)
Old Fri Oct 10, 2008, 03:50pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I agree that this is what they are trying to accomplish. I also think it's the "right" ruling. I'm just not sure it's (fully / clearly) supported by the current rules.

My guess is that the rules committee means that the "throw" in 9-1-3A is the ONLY legal way for A1 to lose player control -- any other way is a violation. The rule doesn't say that, though.

Suppose A1 passed the ball to A2 (on the lane) who passed it back. A1 then attempts the FT (all within 10 seconds; no one leaves a space). Has A1 (or anyone on A) violated?

(There's a similar argument going on in one of the baseball threads -- if the rules says a player "shall" do something, does that mean that the player can "ONLY" do that.)

Gee Whiz Bob, I wonder who are the scoundrels that are driving that thread on another organization's website. Wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Oct 10, 2008, 06:15pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

It strikes me that no particular rule is being violated (yet) when the fed wants us to call the violation. I suppose this is similar to the throwin play, following a made basket, where the throwin team never gets OOB to complete the throwin. A violation is called as soon as it is clear they do not intend to make a proper throwin.
Old Fri Oct 10, 2008, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post

MTD, Sr.
During the dribble which was to preceed the try?
Old Fri Oct 10, 2008, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

Does this seem a little "out there" to anybody else? A kid gets fouled, maybe even hammered on a shot, he goes to the line, maybe he's a little rattled, perhaps he's a little bit injured, he fumbles the ball during the only situation in the entire game that's designed to be an uncontested, take your time kinda deal, and suddenly now it's "Sorry, Charlie."?

And there are so many questions left completely unanswered. What if the kid can reach the ball without violating? What if the ball bounces away but into the semi circle instead of the lane? What if the player places the ball on the floor in the lane in front of him as part of his habitual ritual? I play with a guy who does that, sets it on the floor, stretches out his bad back, picks it up and takes his throw. What about another player picking it up and passing back to him?

Based on the cited rules, it seems the violation is based on the seeming inevitability of violating either the lane or the 10 count. Neither of which is a given. So does this only come into play when the fumble is such that one of those would HAVE to be violated?

This just seems like a bad change to me.
Old Sat Oct 11, 2008, 06:26am
Esteemed Forum Member

Inquiring Minds Want To Know ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
And there are so many questions left completely unanswered.
You're right. The case book seems clear. It's a violation. The question is, according to the rules, why? When the coach, athletic director, local sportswriter, or local cable television announcer asks why the player was denied a free throw, will we only be able to cite a casebook situation, rather than a rule?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sat Oct 11, 2008, 11:30am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
Based on the cited rules, it seems the violation is based on the seeming inevitability of violating either the lane or the 10 count. Neither of which is a given. So does this only come into play when the fumble is such that one of those would HAVE to be violated?
Agreed, and it doesn't allow for the possibility of requesting a TO to keep the shot. A possibility specifically allowed for in the resumption of play.
Old Sat Oct 11, 2008, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Agreed, and it doesn't allow for the possibility of requesting a TO to keep the shot. A possibility specifically allowed for in the resumption of play.
That's not really a concern here because the ball isn't at the disposal of the free thrower as in the case of RPP.
Old Sat Oct 11, 2008, 08:02pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Rule 4: Disposal ???

Quote:
That's not really a concern here because the ball isn't at the disposal of the free thrower as in the case of RPP.
Maybe? When the ball is bounced by the lead official to the free thrower, and the free thrower catches the ball, it is at his, or her, disposal. For the next ten seconds, the thrower's team may call a time out. If, after two seconds, the thrower, who has control of the ball, bounces it off his, or her, foot, into the lane, has the thrower "lost" disposal? Common sense seems to indicate yes, disposal is lost. However:

The NFHS has definitions of when a ball becomes live, and when a ball becomes dead. It also has definitions of when a try begins, and when a try ends. To the point, the NFHS has definitions of when the ball is at the disposal of a player, but, as far as I can determine, doesn't have a clear definition of when disposal ends. Maybe loss of player control, that is, a player holding, or dribbling a ball, ends disposal. Again, common sense seems to indicate yes, disposal is lost when player control is lost. But we all know that a few NFHS rules, and interpretations, don't seem to follow common sense.

The casebook play makes this situation, and interpretation, very clear, but I can't seem to wrap my hands around a rule that would direct an official to call a violation.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Oct 11, 2008 at 08:08pm.
Old Sun Oct 12, 2008, 04:02pm
Administrator

Quote:
During the dribble which was to preceed the try?

NevadaRef:

Rather that say it was my opinion, I should have said that I believe the Rules Committee wants the free throw attempt to be considered over when A1 lost control of the ball. I really don't think there are rules to support such an interpretation. It is my humble position that since an attempt has not been made the officials should wait for one (1) of three (3) things to happen: (1) The ball rolls out-of-bounds; ball to Team B. (2) A ten (10) second free throw violation occurs. Or (3) A volation or foul by either team occurs.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio