The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Soccer

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 18, 2004, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

Alright, let's try this one on for size.

Forward A is streaking to the goal with the ball. 20 yards out, Defender B takes a swipe at the ball and clips the ankles of A. Forward A fights through, still with the ball and his stride toward the goal.

You beller "Play On!", replete with an impeccable arm sweep from waist level.

As soon as you do this, Defender C trips Forward A 12 yards from the goal (in the Penalty Box), erasing the advantage you gave as the forward falls in a heap.

Two identical fouls of identical severity, in fair cyberspace where I set this scene...

Where is your restart?

Let's say this is an "Obvious Goal Scoring Opportunity". Which player(s) do you punish with your red card?

Old Tue Apr 20, 2004, 07:01pm
Official Forum Member

It sounds like the big difference int the two trips is that he FELL on the second one! BIG difference IMHO. I would have called the "play on" on the first one, then given a PK on the second, without hesitation! I would have only given the card if, "IN MY JUDGEMENT", the second offender deliberately tripped the attacker or it was a violant trip that could injury a player.
Old Thu Apr 22, 2004, 12:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ejstuart
Alright, let's try this one on for size.

Forward A is streaking to the goal with the ball. 20 yards out, Defender B takes a swipe at the ball and clips the ankles of A. Forward A fights through, still with the ball and his stride toward the goal.

You beller "Play On!", replete with an impeccable arm sweep from waist level.

As soon as you do this, Defender C trips Forward A 12 yards from the goal (in the Penalty Box), erasing the advantage you gave as the forward falls in a heap.

Two identical fouls of identical severity, in fair cyberspace where I set this scene...

Where is your restart?

Let's say this is an "Obvious Goal Scoring Opportunity". Which player(s) do you punish with your red card?

The first foul does not seem to qualify as denying an OGSO, since we have a second defender between the location of the first foul and the goal. (I take this from you writing that Defender C fouls 12 yards from goal.) I'm assuming that the goalie is behind everyone and still in the goal. If the goalkeeper is defender C or if the keeper is not present, then the first foul would qualify.
If the foul 12 yards from goal is committed by the last defender other than the goalkeeper (so that there is at most one defender remaining between the attacker and the goal), then you clearly award the PK and send off Defender C.
Therefore, we could have a single attacker going in on the last defender with only the keeper behind him, and the defender fouling at 20 yards from goal, but the attacker is able to continue, then the keeper fouling at 12 yards from goal, which ends the play. In this case, by-the-book, both fouls would meet the criteria for OGSO (12.38 Advice), both players would be sent off and a PK would be awarded.
In practice, I would simply ignore the punishment for the foul at 20 yards out.
Old Thu Apr 22, 2004, 01:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Art N
I would have only given the card if, "IN MY JUDGEMENT", the second offender deliberately tripped the attacker or it was a violant trip that could injury a player.
Art,
You need to look up Obvious GoalScoring Opportunity. (Law 12 sending-off offenses #4 and #5, plus 12.36 and 12.38 in Advice to Referees) The severity of the foul has nothing to do with it. If the foul denies an OGSO, you need to send-off the offender. A foul of this type is in itself considered so unsportsmanlike that it justifies the send-off.
Happy learning.
Old Sun Apr 25, 2004, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

Am new to the group. Just popped my head into this room as I am interested in officiating another sport (I do basketball) that I am familiar with (watched a ton of soccer on Long Island, upstate NY and NC - now living in GA). Felt I could learn a lot by listening to discussions.

Reading this thread generated a question. If a defender (last defender with only the keeper behind him) deliberately (grabs shirt and holds forward)stops forward on an OGSO OUTSIDE THE BOX(let's say just past midfield), what is the penalty, cards handed out?
Old Tue Apr 27, 2004, 06:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TravelinMan
Am new to the group. Just popped my head into this room as I am interested in officiating another sport (I do basketball) that I am familiar with (watched a ton of soccer on Long Island, upstate NY and NC - now living in GA). Felt I could learn a lot by listening to discussions.

Reading this thread generated a question. If a defender (last defender with only the keeper behind him) deliberately (grabs shirt and holds forward)stops forward on an OGSO OUTSIDE THE BOX(let's say just past midfield), what is the penalty, cards handed out?
From reading your posts in the basketball forum, I know that you are quite an experienced official, so you understand how important some of the terminology of the rules of a particular game can be. Your unfamiliarity with soccer makes your question hard to answer because you don't quite have the jargon correct. So, I'll try to lay it out for you. Sorry but this will be quite long.
First, you need to know that whenever a player denies the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal scoring opportunity by committing a foul, it is a sending-off offense (red card).
Secondly, you need to know precisely what constitutes denying a goal and what constitutes denying an obvious goal scoring opportunity.

Here's what the book Advice to Referees on the Laws of the Game (basically the casebook for USSF soccer rules) says:

"12.36 DENYING A GOAL OR AN OBVIOUS GOALSCORING OPPORTUNITY
There are two sending-off offenses that deal with denying an opponent a goal or an obvious goalscoring opportunity. These occur in cases where a player: (a) "denies the opposing team a goal or an obvious goalscoring opportunity by deliberately handling the ball (this does not apply to a
goalkeeper within his own penalty area)" or (b) "denies an obvious goalscoring opportunity to an opponent moving towards the player's goal by an offence punishable by a free kick or a penalty kick.”
This would apply to any player other than the goalkeeper in his own penalty area who handles a ball to prevent it from entering the goal, whether the ball was last played by the opposing team or not.
12.37 PUNISHMENT
The denial of an obvious goalscoring opportunity is punished by sending off (red card) the guilty player, even though there may have been no contact between the players involved.
12.38 CRITERIA FOR AN OBVIOUS GOALSCORING OPPORTUNITY
The referee must consider five criteria when deciding whether or not the conditions during an infringement of Law 12 constituted an obvious goalscoring opportunity:
1. The direction of play (the player must be running toward the opponents' goal, not toward the goal line or the corner).
2. The proximity of the ball (could the player have reached it to play it?).
3. The location and number of opponents able to participate immediately (no more than one defender between the attacker who was fouled and the goal, not counting the defender who committed the foul).
4. The location of the foul (the farther from goal, the less likely it is that an obvious goalscoring opportunity existed).
5. There was a reasonable chance for a shot (not a definite goal, but at least a chance to shoot).
Even if all these criteria are met, it is still the judgment and opinion of the referee that determines if the event was an obvious goalscoring opportunity.
12.39 APPLYING THE ADVANTAGE
Even if the referee makes use of the advantage clause during an obvious goalscoring opportunity, he can still punish the offender after the fact. If a goal is scored directly despite the attempted intervention by a defender handling the ball, fouling an opponent, or committing misconduct, the offender cannot be sent off for denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity, but he can still be cautioned for unsporting behavior or sent off for serious foul play if the foul involved excessive force.
However, if in these circumstances the goal was scored following a second or immediately subsequent play of the ball, the offender must nevertheless be sent off because his action prevented a goal or an obvious goalscoring opportunity during the first play when the infringement occurred."

So after reading all of that, we can now take a stab at answering your question. We have a player just past mid-field who has his shirt grabbed and held by the last defender other than the goalkeeper. This is at least a cautionable offense. We need to check whether or not it meets the OGSO criteria:
1. was the player in the center of the field or near the side? Let's assume that he is fairly centered and was moving toward the goal. Check.
2. Where was the ball? Don't know, because you didn't specify, so let's say that the attacker is dribbling it or that it is close enough to him that we can expect him to get to it. Check.
3. 2nd to last defender committed the foul. Check.
4. How far from the goal? Well, this is quite a distance. Debateable.
5. Chance for a shot? When? Not immediately, but certainly soon. I'd say check.
Lastly, in the officials judgment, it must be decided that this play is an OGSO. On your play I could go either way because of the large distance from the goal, but I lean towards saying yes and sending-off the offender.
By the way the restart is a direct free kick at the spot of the foul near midfield.
PS Two years ago I sent-off a player in a HS game for doing this inside the penalty area. He turned the attackers shirt into a sail. That was a red card and a penalty kick. No argument at all about he call, even his father came over after the game to say that he saw it and his son deserved the red card. The PK was missed!
Old Mon May 03, 2004, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

Nevada, thanks for taking the time and interest by replying to me in length. This has been very helpful and answered my question. I plan to ref soccer next year. I would imagine this forum picks uo quite a bit in the fall so I will visit often.

Jack