The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 30, 2008, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

I guess, I was venting a little. Our association is about young slender guys moving up quickly.

We have a rule that you don't get varsity games until after your 3rd year. BUT we had a young ( 20 yrs old ) slender guy in his first year got 3 varsity games. He had the look that they were looking for. The next year when the assignments were given out for December, I go 6 Varsity games, he got 8. His 2nd year, my 6th or 7th. I passed the part II with 96% he failed and had to give up his varsity games ( our policy is you have to have over 75% to do varsity games.)

That ticked my, but it's happened twice since then. It all politics. BTW, I am 6'2" and 240 and 53, so I know I am not a spring chicken.
Old Tue Sep 30, 2008, 08:51am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
In your opinion, is this 20 yr old a good referee? Have you talked to others?

I have NO problems when good things happen to good people - i don't care about age, experience, looks, etc.

I always try to look at myself and others objectively. If I can look myself and my peers (whether at work or refereeing) and say - that guys better than me and should be where he is, I have no issues and I need to work harder on x, y, and z.

I can certainly understand being passed over or passed by, image/appearance, cronyism, the good ole boy system, or having a "sugar daddy," etc. (and we've had those discussions before.....several times, and lifes not fair, and yada yada, humma, humma, etc).
Old Tue Sep 30, 2008, 08:58am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
I guess, I was venting a little. Our association is about young slender guys moving up quickly.

We have a rule that you don't get varsity games until after your 3rd year. BUT we had a young ( 20 yrs old ) slender guy in his first year got 3 varsity games. He had the look that they were looking for. The next year when the assignments were given out for December, I go 6 Varsity games, he got 8. His 2nd year, my 6th or 7th. I passed the part II with 96% he failed and had to give up his varsity games ( our policy is you have to have over 75% to do varsity games.)

That ticked my, but it's happened twice since then. It all politics. BTW, I am 6'2" and 240 and 53, so I know I am not a spring chicken.
I used to worry about that kind of stuff. All you can concentrate on is yourself, your progress, and your improvement. Worrying about others only leads to undue stress and frustration.

Usually after a while, creme rises to the top and the dirt settles to the bottom and there is plenty of room in between.
Old Tue Sep 30, 2008, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

TerrapinsFan, I totally get where you're coming from. I know that scenario all too well myself. And you are right: It's all politics.

Politics: the unwritten rules by which a group or organization really operates. Those who would succeed need to know what the rules are, and find ways to work within them too.

Young people often rise quickly based on "the look" and perceived potential. Man, it's easy to hate the game, and sometimes even the playah, when we don't have that kind of "automatic" in.

You and I have to break in on proven merit, through building relationships, and by controlling what we can control. This is where I live. Rules knowledge, hustle, mechanics, game management, mentoring younger officials, being a leader, infectious enthusiasm, availability, positive attitude, constantly working to get better, humility, being a team player, going to camps, and maybe most important of all, being seen to be doing all of that. That's stuff I can control. That's what's got me noticed. And this year, I'm even working very hard at being as "pretty" as I can be.

When I finally "make it" (which may well be this year, the jury is meeting soon to do rankings), me and the pretty boys will be back on equal footing. Only I'll have more experience, better game management skills, be more respected, and have all those other qualities that I "had" to learn....and they won't. So bring on the pretty boys; we R's need U99's to fill out the crew!
Old Tue Sep 30, 2008, 11:34am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
In your opinion, is this 20 yr old a good referee? Have you talked to others?
I have seen this scenario pan out. They do a good job, but better not have anything strange happen that requires more than the basic amount of game management. Instead of putting them out there as the R, they get hidden at U2 while decent Rs who aren't as pretty watch from the sidelines.

I've gotten over it. I will get the assignments I get. Doesn't make them better officials (or worse ones). Just the ones who get the games I'd like to work.
Old Tue Sep 30, 2008, 11:43am
Do not give a damn!!

The problem is that there are people that think everything is decided based on merit. Even merit is subjective. Just look at the comments on this board about a 20 year old. I have seen 20 year olds much better than 20 year veterans. And when people hire people to do anything, they hire people they like, they can help, can mold, and can teach and work with.

Peace