The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 08, 2006, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

I was watching the Missouri Valley conference championship game on Sunday, Southern IL against Bradley. When they came back from a commercial in the second half they were showing a cheerleader being attended to because she fell from the top of a three-person high pyramid. CBS even had a replay of it, even though it happened during the commercial break, from a camera behind the backboard.

Now, here's the part that verifies to me that cheerleaders are a different breed. They had her strapped to the cart, with a full neck brace on, because she had cracked neck vertibra and a concussion. But as she's being wheeled off the floor, she's doing her cheerleading hand motions and clapping to the band! While laying flat on the cart! I thought she was going to whack one of the paramedics in the head. I know if I fell that distance unto a wood floor, I'd be happy to just be just awake enough to wave "Hi Mom" to the cameras. But here she is going through her routine. I wonder if her legs were strapped down, otherwise she might've kicked someone...

I was reminded of it last night when our local news did a story on her, because she's from the area. She will be fine.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Mar 08, 2006, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by M&M Guy
Now, here's the part that verifies to me that cheerleaders are a different breed. They had her strapped to the cart, with a full neck brace on, because she had cracked neck vertibra and a concussion. But as she's being wheeled off the floor, she's doing her cheerleading hand motions and clapping to the band! While laying flat on the cart! I thought she was going to whack one of the paramedics in the head. I know if I fell that distance unto a wood floor, I'd be happy to just be just awake enough to wave "Hi Mom" to the cameras. But here she is going through her routine. I wonder if her legs were strapped down, otherwise she might've kicked someone...
And the crowd went nuts when she started her cheering movements!

I think she was just trying to show everyone that she was going to be okay.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Mar 08, 2006, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

I heard about this yesterday...the conference officials have banned throwing stunts and pyramids in excess of two levels...probably an over-reaction.

As the father of a high school competitive cheerleader who has been on 4 National Championship squads and who will be competing at this years Cheerleading World Championship I can tell you they are definetly athletes...and most certainly a different breed

I know many don't consider it a sport because it is judged and the scores are subjective. However, I will brag and say there are few people that can perform at the level of my daughter's squad. There is no way in...well you know...that I could ever have done what she can do.
Old Wed Mar 08, 2006, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
And the crowd went nuts when she started her cheering movements!

I think she was just trying to show everyone that she was going to be okay.
Yep, that's exactly what she was doing:
http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegebas.../story/9292183

How refreshing to find a kid who's worried about her squad, and the team, and not just herself. Hopefully this is a sign the world isn't going to he!! in a handbasket.

Larry - I was partially kidding about the "sport - not a sport". Cheerleaders at that level are definitely athletes, and put in approximately the same amount of time and training as other athletes in other sports.

But, can you imagine a player on the cart practicing his free throw form while he's being wheeled off?...

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Mar 08, 2006, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by LarryS
I heard about this yesterday...the conference officials have banned throwing stunts and pyramids in excess of two levels...probably an over-reaction.
Honestly, I don't think it's an over-reaction. Every time I watch these young women, I cringe in fear over what could happen. When something bad happens (which I admit is not often for the number of squads out there), it's a young girl falling 15-20 feet onto a hard surface, possibly head-first. I wish that HS cheerleading had the limits that the conference imposed. But that's just me.

Yes, they're athletes, no question. Nah, it's not a sport. Again, that's just me.
Old Wed Mar 08, 2006, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by M&M Guy
[Larry - I was partially kidding about the "sport - not a sport". Cheerleaders at that level are definitely athletes, and put in approximately the same amount of time and training as other athletes in other sports.

[/B]
I knew that. A friendly word of advice...don't ever tell my daughter it is not a sport...you will be in for a ten minute tirade...and she will point to boxing, gymnastics, diving, dresage, etc. as things the majority view as a sport that also have judging involved.

Then she will walk away...and I'll have to live with her for the rest of the day
Old Wed Mar 08, 2006, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref

I read an article about her yesterday, I was quite amazed that she would still 'do her job' (cheer) while strapped to her back after literally breaking her neck. Says a lot about that young woman, IMO.

Chuck, you say she's an atlete yet her athletic activity is not a sport.

How do you define sport?
Old Wed Mar 08, 2006, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Injury aside, I thought it was freaking hilarious.
Old Wed Mar 08, 2006, 11:45am
Do not give a damn!!

If you have to be judged to determine you have won something, that is not a sport. Just because you do something athletic, does not make it a sport. The circus is full of world class athletes, but do you call that a sport?

Real sport is when you have to beat someone at something that is easily measurable. In basketball, football and baseball I have to out score you with more points and runs. In Golf I have to shoot a lower score than you do to win a tournament or match. In cheerleading most of the time you are not even competing in anything. If they do a competing you have to be judged that your routine is better than everyone else. I do not consider the NBA Dunk contest a sport, why figure skating and cheerleading?

Peace
Old Wed Mar 08, 2006, 11:55am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
....it's a young girl falling 15-20 feet onto a hard surface, possibly head-first.
Yes, ... on her head and on the Today show this morning.
Cracked the front of her first Lumbar Vertebra.
Old Wed Mar 08, 2006, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge

Real sport is when you have to beat someone at something that is easily measurable.
Using your definition examples of real sports are nascar racing, competetive pistol shooting & dog track racing.

Examples of non-sports are boxing, free style skiing, most if not every form of gymnastics and to a lesser degree scholastic wrestling and olympic weight lifting.
Old Wed Mar 08, 2006, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Not a sport, but...

A few weeks ago I stumbled upon a cheer competition at the local community college. I went away with the impression that most of these girls were incredibly athletic and coordinated, and some had no small amount of courage (and trust). In fact, at my daughter's high school cheerleading is only a winter activity (they cheer at basketball games). When spring season comes, several of the girls play rugby on my daughter's team. As to whether cheer a sport...that's one of those astroturf-no astroturf arguments best discussed over a pint or two.
Old Wed Mar 08, 2006, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

Real sport is when you have to beat someone at something that is easily measurable.
Using your definition examples of real sports are nascar racing, competetive pistol shooting & dog track racing.
Don't forget poker.

Shana Hiatt - now there's a sport!

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Mar 08, 2006, 12:24pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

I think all of these are sports.

Quote:
Examples of non-sports are boxing, free style skiing, most if not every form of gymnastics and to a lesser degree scholastic wrestling and olympic weight lifting.
If you knock someone out there are no one to judge in boxing. They are judged in boxing about as much as we do in basketball. We have to determine if they follow the rules and if you leave to the officials, you might not like the result.

I never said I thought gymnastics was a sport. Just because the sport is in the Olympics does not make it a sport if you ask me.

Peace
Old Wed Mar 08, 2006, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

If you knock someone out there are no one to judge in boxing.
I don't have the statistics but most boxing matches are not settled by knockout I believe, especially at the amateur level. In any event, all boxing matches are scored subjectively by ring-side officials. Non-knock out matches are decided by these scores.

Like gymnastics and cheerleading.