The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 09, 2002, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to toledotom46 Send a message via Yahoo to toledotom46
Talking

Situation: 1st quarter 2 minutes gone by, A1 is inbounding the ball in the backcourt after ball was tipped out by B1, A1 trying to inbound the ball to A2, B1 is warned to not reach over the endline to prevent the throw-in,as ball is reset for throw-in B1 maliciously whacks A1 in the face during the throw-in, trail official calls Technical foul on B1. Reporting the foul on B1 Ref is informed A2 is not in the book, What do we have now? A technical on B1 and a technical on Team A for player A2 not being in the book, seeing the clock was not started prior to warning, there cannot be a False-Double-Foul? Does Team B receive the ball at Half court following the free-throws? or alternating possion arrow? This actually happened in Maryland the past year in a girls high school game.
Old Thu May 09, 2002, 12:02pm
Esteemed Participant

The first mistake was calling a T on the B player for hitting the thrower...that is an Intentional Foul (or possibly a Flagrant Foul) - but not a T...after that, you penalize the fouls in the order they occur...so A1 will get two shots for the Intentional with no one on the lane...then a B player will shoot the two shots for the administrative T and B will get the ball at half-court opposite the table...how did the refs handle it in Maryland???
Old Thu May 09, 2002, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
The first mistake was calling a T on the B player for hitting the thrower...that is an Intentional Foul (or possibly a Flagrant Foul) - but not a T...after that, you penalize the fouls in the order they occur...so A1 will get two shots for the Intentional with no one on the lane...then a B player will shoot the two shots for the administrative T and B will get the ball at half-court opposite the table...how did the refs handle it in Maryland???
If you call this an intentional foul (2 f/t's + ball), why does B get the ball? I understand B will shoot the technical after A shoot the intentional, but does the technical then over-ride A getting the ball because of the intentional? Am I making sense?
Old Thu May 09, 2002, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Sure it does, at least under NF rules. Penalize in the order in which they occur.
Old Thu May 09, 2002, 02:03pm
Esteemed Participant

It doesn't over-ride it, but because the fouls were committed in a certain order, you administer the penalties for the fouls in that order...A will not get the ball oob because we have to go shoot free-throws at B's end, and then B does get the ball oob because A committed the last foul - the administrative T for not having A2 in the book...now I have to ask if I am making sense...the easy answer is what Tony and I both said already - punish the fouls in the order they occur...
Old Thu May 09, 2002, 02:10pm
Administrator

Whether this game is played under NFHS or NCAA rules determines how this situation is handled.

RockyRoad is correct in stating that the contact by B1 is NOT a technical foul. What he should have included is that the contact by B1 is a personal foul (by rule this foul is either an intentional foul or a flagrant foul, a judgement decision by the administering official); this is the same under both NFHS and NCAA rules.

Under both NFHS and NCAA rules you have a false double foul situation:

NFHS: Technical foul by Team B (see below) followed by a personal (see official's judgement above) foul by B1 followed by a technical foul by Team A.

NCAA: Personal foul by B1 followed by a technical foul by Team A.

NFHS: The penalties for the foul are administered in the order that the fouls were committed. Team B had been issued a team warning the first time B1 reached thru the boundary-line plane (R4-S46-A1 and R9-S2-A11); therefore when B1 made contact with A1, two fouls were committed at the same time (in this case a false multiple foul; see R4-S19-A11): 1) a technical foul by Team B per R4-S46-A1 and R10-S1-A10; and a personal foul by B1. The false multiple foul by Team B was then followed by a technical foul by Team A.

The penalties for the fouls are administered in the order that the fouls were committed. 1) Any player(s) from Team A will shoot a total of two free throws for the technical foul by Team B. 2) A1 shots two free throws for the penalty for B1 personal foul. 3) Any player(s) from Team B will shoot a total of two free throws for the technical foul by Team A; Team B then has possession (not control) of the ball for a throw-in at the division line opposite the Scorer's/Timer's Table.

One final note: All of three fouls will count toward the team foul totals of each team. A2 is not guilty of any foul, and B1 is guilty of only a personal foul.

NCAA: Under NCAA rules there are no official warings given to a player for reaching thru the boundary-line plane during a throw-in; it is just a throw-in violation. The penalties for the fouls are not administered in the order that the fouls were committed. 1) Any player(s) from Team B will shoot a total of two free throws for the technical foul by Team A. 2) A1 shots two free throws for the penalty for B1 personal foul; then Team A gets possession of the ball for a throw-in nearest the spot of the personal foul by B1. The technical foul by Team A does not count toward Team A's team foul totals; A2 is not guilty of any foul. B1 is guilty of only a personal foul and this foul does count toward Team B's team foul totals.

It should be noted that nder both NFHS/NCAA rules Team A is guilty of a technical foul adding A2's name to the book, only if this is the first addition/correction to the scorebook after the game has started.

"Dont' you love it when a plan comes together."
Hanibal Smith (I think that was the character's last name.)
Commanding Officer the A Team
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu May 09, 2002, 02:51pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
NFHS: Technical foul by Team B (see below) followed by a personal (see official's judgement above) foul by B1 followed by a technical foul by Team A.

NFHS: The penalties for the foul are administered in the order that the fouls were committed. Team B had been issued a team warning the first time B1 reached thru the boundary-line plane (R4-S46-A1 and R9-S2-A11); therefore when B1 made contact with A1, two fouls were committed at the same time (in this case a false multiple foul; see R4-S19-A11): 1) a technical foul by Team B per R4-S46-A1 and R10-S1-A10; and a personal foul by B1. The false multiple foul by Team B was then followed by a technical foul by Team A.

"Dont' you love it when a plan comes together."
Hanibal Smith (I think that was the character's last name.)
Commanding Officer the A Team
I think ol' Hannibal best find a new plan!
I don't agree at all with calling a personal and a T on B.One foul only should be called,just like Rocky said.Take a look at R-9-2Penalty(4).
I think that you got a little carried away on this one,Mark.
Old Thu May 09, 2002, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Thumbs down

I agree completely with JR. No way on earth you call the T for breaking the plane and the intentional for fouling the inbounder. Call the intentional and move on.

Chuck
Old Thu May 09, 2002, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Mark you'd be nuts to enforce it the way you describe.
There is no way I will penalize the same action twice. Although the rule book does not mention double jeopardy, I'd think you would be hard pressed to find a situation where the reaching thru the plane and hitting the player is both a T and a personal ( one for delay) and (personal foul)
The only thing that would happen in the situation you describe is giving 2 fouls to the same player since delay T's are a team and not a personal if I remember right..
You would be giving the opposing team 4 shots and the ball for one action. I dont think you can find a case book play that takes that stand.

Here's my commentary on the rules... They need to get rid of all the multiple foul garbage Its a confusing, archaic, and idiotic mumbo jumbo that takes up more space in the rule book than it's worth and does not accomplish anything.

Old Thu May 09, 2002, 04:09pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
I agree completely with JR. No way on earth you call the T for breaking the plane and the intentional for fouling the inbounder. Call the intentional and move on.

Chuck
Chuck,it's impossible to call it the way Mark wants to anyway,by rule.The sequence is(according to Mark):
1)B1 reaches through plane.B1 gets T for delay of game.Ball is now dead by rule.
2)B1 then contacts A1.Since ball is dead,this HAS to be another T,if you're going to call it that way.By rule,you can't call it a personal foul of some kind.
The bottom line is the rulebook won't let you call T->PF->T in this case!
You don't call 2 T's for a single act.
Old Thu May 09, 2002, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

Agree with you, Chuck. don't see how Mark can penalize the same action twice. Furthermore, a I understand it, if the intentional contact over the line foul occurred first, that action satisfies the requirement of the warning for merely reaching across the line. Therefore, if the same team subsequently violates by reaching across the plane, it is a T foul and not a warning. This would further support my view that no double foul should be called as per Mark's interpretation.
Old Thu May 09, 2002, 06:16pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by finnref
Agree with you, Chuck. don't see how Mark can penalize the same action twice. Furthermore, a I understand it, if the intentional contact over the line foul occurred first, that action satisfies the requirement of the warning for merely reaching across the line. Therefore, if the same team subsequently violates by reaching across the plane, it is a T foul and not a warning. This would further support my view that no double foul should be called as per Mark's interpretation.
The contact over the line is an intentional personal foul only.Contact with the ball only,or breaking the plane after already being warned would be a T.No "delay of game" warning goes with the intentional PF call.If the same team reaches across the plane again,they will still get a warning before they are assessed a T.That's the language straight out of R9-2Penalty(4) that I quoted before.If you called the intentional personal foul and also gave them a delay-of-game warning on the same play,you would again be penalising a single action twice.
Old Thu May 09, 2002, 10:13pm
Administrator

As soon as I hit the Submit Reply button I know that my posting would generate a lot of discussion. I pounded out my original posting very hurriedly without thinking the whole play through and would like to make some minor tweakings in my ruling.

Lets go back in time before the NFHS added R4-S46-A1 to its rules book. Prior to that school year the rules for both NFHS and NCAA were the same. The only difference being the Section and Article numbers; how the rules were interpreted and the rulings for infractions of these rules were the same. For that starting point lets look at how we can break down the posted play per the rules before NFHS R4-S46-A3 went into effect.

Play 1: Team B has just scored a field goal and A1 has possession of the ball out-of-bounds for a throw-in. (a) B1 reaches thru the boundary-line plane. (b) B1 reaches thru the boundary-line plane and makes contact with the ball while A1 is holding it. (c) B1 reaches thru the boundary-line plane and makes illegal contact with A1. RULING: (a) B1 has committed a throw-in violation. The penalty is a throw-in by Team A nearest the spot of the violation by B1. This throw-in is a designated spot throw-in. Is this the penalty that the official really wants to or should impose? The official has to look at the entire play: (i) Is Team B trying to stop the clock (especially if Team A can hold the ball out-of-bounds and let the clock run out)? (ii) Is Team B trying to stop the clock to get substitutes in the game? (iii) Does Team B want to take Team A’s right to run the end line by committing a throw-in violation? (b) Technical foul by B1 for delay of game. The breaking of the plane violation by B1 is ignored. (c) Intentional (possibly a flagrant) personal foul by B1. The breaking of the plane violation by B1 is ignored.

As one can see in Plays 1b and 1c, that even though a violation occurred first, causing the ball to become dead, the NFHS and NCAA wanted the officials to ignore the ball becoming dead and penalize the more serious infraction of the rules.

Now lets travel to the present. Under NCAA rules nothing has changed has changed for Plays 1a, 1b, and 1c except that if the official decides to penalize Team B in Play 1a, Team A retains the right to run the end line on the ensuing throw-in. NFHS rules concur with the NCAA for Play 1a. BUT under NFHS one has contend with R4-S46-A3 for Plays 1b and 1c.

Lets look at Plays 1b and 1c if NFHS R4-S46-A1 has not yet been invoked. Jurassic Referee is correct in stating that NFHS R9-S2, Penalty 3 and 4 applies to Plays 1b and 1c respectively, and the official warning is invoked as well as the penalties for the fouls.

If NFHS R4-S46-A3 is effect a technical foul, has been committed by Team B as soon as B1 breaks the boundary-line plane in Plays 1a, 1b, and 1c. In Play 1a it is business as usual; Team A is awarded two free throws and the ball out-of-bounds at the division line opposite the Scorer’s/Timer’s Table. BUT for Plays 1b and 1c, life for the game officials is not so easy.

As I stated previously, a technical foul, has been committed by Team B as soon as B1 breaks the boundary-line plane. In Play 1b, the officials should ignore B1’s contact with the ball therefore there is only the technical foul by Team B. In Play 1c, the officials have to look at how B1 made contact with A1. If NFHS R4-S46-A1 has not been invoked, we know that B1’s contact with A1 is an intentional personal foul by rule (and quite possibly be a flagrant personal foul). It is my interpretation of the rules that the intentional personal foul portion of NFHS R9-S2, Penalty 4 is not applicable. Because the ball has become dead because of the technical foul per NFHS R4-S46-A1, the official as to make a decision: (i) Assume that the ball has inbounds status, would the contact by B1 be considered a common foul, if so ignore the contact by B1. (ii) Is the contact by B1 intentional, then, the contact by B1 is an intentional technical foul. (iii) Is the contact by B1 flagrant, then, the contact by B1 is a flagrant technical foul.

So the RULINGS for Play 1c is as follows:

NCAA: Under NCAA rules there are no official warnings given to a player for reaching thru the boundary-line plane during a throw-in; it is just a throw-in violation. The penalties for the fouls are not administered in the order that the fouls were committed. 1) Any player(s) from Team B will shoot a total of two free throws for the technical foul by Team A. 2) A1 shoots two free throws for the penalty for B1’s personal foul; then Team A gets possession of the ball for a throw-in nearest the spot of the personal foul by B1. The technical foul by Team A does not count toward Team A's team foul totals; A2 is not guilty of any foul. B1 is guilty of only a personal foul and this foul does count toward Team B's team foul totals.

NFHS: In Plays 1c(i, ii, iii), when B1 reached thru the boundary-line Team B has committed a technical foul per R4-S46-A1 and R10-S1-A10 and Team A has committed a technical foul per R10-S1-A2b. And:

Play 1c(i): The penalties for the fouls are administered in the order that the fouls were committed. 1) Any player(s) from Team A will shoot a total of two free throws for the technical foul by Team B. 2) Any player(s) from Team B will shoot a total of two free throws for the technical foul by Team A; Team B then has possession of the ball for a throw-in at the division line opposite the Scorer's/Timer's Table. Both of the fouls will count toward the team foul totals of each team.

Play 1c(ii): The penalties for the foul are administered in the order that the fouls were committed. 1) Any player(s) from Team A will shoot a total of four free throws for the two technical fouls by Team B. 2) Any player(s) from Team B will shoot a total of two free throws for the technical foul by Team A; Team B then has possession of the ball for a throw-in at the division line opposite the Scorer's/Timer's Table. All of three fouls will count toward the team foul totals of each team. The technical foul by B1 will count toward is total of five personal/technical foul count and his two technical foul count.

Play 1c(iii): The penalties for the foul are administered in the order that the fouls were committed. 1) Any player(s) from Team A will shoot a total of four free throws for the two technical fouls by Team B. 2) Any player(s) from Team B will shoot a total of two free throws for the technical foul by Team A; Team B then has possession of the ball for a throw-in at the division line opposite the Scorer's/Timer's Table. All of three fouls will count toward the team foul totals of each team. B1 is disqualified because of the flagrant technical foul.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri May 10, 2002, 12:00am
Official Forum Member

Mark, with all due respect, can't you give us the 50 cent version as opposed to the $50 version? 14 paragraphs to explain this is a little much.
Old Fri May 10, 2002, 03:29am
In Memoriam

Mark,let me point out three very obvious things to you:
1)Rule 9-2-Penalty(4) states "If an opponent(s) of the thrower reaches through the boundary plane and fouls the thrower,an intentional personal foul shall be charged to the defender.No warning or delay required.".It does NOT state that you also charge a technical foul to the defender.The language used is precise and specific!
2)Rule 9-2-4Penalty(3) states "If an opponent of a thrower reaches through the throw-in line boundary plane and touches or dislodges the ball,a technical foul shall be charged to the defender.No warning for delay required.".It does NOT state that you can charge two technical fouls to the defender for the two separate acts(breaking the boundary plane AND hitting the ball).Again,the language used is precise and specific!
3)You have already changed your call from your original post.In your original post,you stated that B got a technical foul followed by a personal foul.You now admit(while hiding it in your second 10,000 word essay)that it cannot be a personal foul by rule and you were wrong-just as I pointed out.

The rationale that you are trying to use is not backed up anywhere in the rule or case books,and never has been.You and Hannibal completely blew this one.Before you get writer's cramp responding,why don't you just e-mail someone on the FED rule commitee and get their opinion.

Tony,don't you ever sleep?Try reading Mark's reply again.Might help!