The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 16, 2008, 09:12am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanja
A high school coach insisted that slapping the backboard must always be a technical foul. His point of reference was a state playoff game ruling and discussion. I wish these were isolated cases, but in my discussions with fellow officials and coaches they are not.
I had this same thing in a varsity hs game. Coach insisted on, even signaled for, a technical foul when his player scored on a fast break and the defense tried to block the layup and ended up slapping the backboard. Purely legitimate attempt to block the shot; same side of the backboard and everything.

Short discussion, he took his timeout (he did signal for one, after all), and we played on.
Old Tue Sep 16, 2008, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Since I have always been told "the only stupid question is the one that doesn't get asked" , here is my "question"......

Not even sure if it matters, but on a "slapping the backboard" play that warrants a "T", who's call is it (2 man crew)? Does it matter?

I would think (notice, I didn't say assume, b/c we all know what happens when we do THAT!) that its the trail's call, since he is supposed to be watching the shot, and the lead is watching stuff underneath the hoop, right? But i guess if genius launches himself up and does a "look at my slapping ability" on the backboard that warrants a T, would it matter who calls it?

I'm probably overthinking this, but I was just curious.......
Old Tue Sep 16, 2008, 09:47am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbzebra
its the trail's call, since he is supposed to be watching the shot, and the lead is watching stuff underneath the hoop, right? But i guess if genius launches himself up and does a "look at my slapping ability" on the backboard that warrants a T, would it matter who calls it?
I would agree with this completely. Primarily the T, but it doesn't matter all that much if the L grabs an obvious one.
Old Tue Sep 16, 2008, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

I agree with everyone who is scratching their head as to why that's a POE the way it's written. Perhaps they wanted to just emphasize that it's not basket interference?
Old Tue Sep 16, 2008, 10:07am
Lighten up, Francis.

I guess I may be oversimplifying it, but if it's a POE, it's because we're not doing a good job of calling it. So call it!
Old Tue Sep 16, 2008, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

I believe the POE is being made to draw to the attention of younger officials what is illegal and what is not warranted by the rules. I've seen discussions at camps and calls during those camps in which official's call basketball interference or nothing at all. I think it's a good POE to have every so often because it is a widely misunderstood rule for coaches and players.

Just my $.02

-Josh
Old Tue Sep 16, 2008, 10:30am
Ch1town

If the FEDs want to clear up any misconceptions coaches/players may have about GT/BI/T for slpping the backboard, do they really think a POE in the rulebook (of all places) is the best way to go about it?
Ha

I think not, POEs are for officials & a few knowledgeable coaches/players.
Old Tue Sep 16, 2008, 10:36am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanja
It's a useful point of emphasis because so many coaches and officials get it wrong. I spoke to a d1 official who took the position (until referred to the rule book) that under NFHS rules, a defensive player slapping the backboard on the side opposite from a shot is basket interference. A high school coach insisted that slapping the backboard must always be a technical foul. His point of reference was a state playoff game ruling and discussion. I wish these were isolated cases, but in my discussions with fellow officials and coaches they are not.
I do not think I have ever seen anyone screw this rule up at the high school level during a regular game. I can see why it is a POE because coaches yell for this to be a violation often. Then again this is not a very common occurrence either because a lot of players are not playing that high on the rim.

Peace
Old Tue Sep 16, 2008, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Warranted T or not?????
Just before the Toss to start the game, Player A gets back on defense by the basket, I guess to show he can touch the backboard, he is only 5"9", he jumps up with both hands and slaps the backboard, i guess to let everyone know he is hyped and ready to play! I have witnessed him do this several times,not as an official though, and have talked to him about it a couple of times, but yet no one has T'd him for it! Should something like this be T'd and then start the game with free throws, etc???? Just thought I would throw in a good example of "drawing attention to oneself".
Old Tue Sep 16, 2008, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jritchie
Warranted T or not?????
Just before the Toss to start the game, Player A gets back on defense by the basket, I guess to show he can touch the backboard, he is only 5"9", he jumps up with both hands and slaps the backboard, i guess to let everyone know he is hyped and ready to play! I have witnessed him do this several times,not as an official though, and have talked to him about it a couple of times, but yet no one has T'd him for it! Should something like this be T'd and then start the game with free throws, etc???? Just thought I would throw in a good example of "drawing attention to oneself".
I would say yes, "T" him up.
Old Tue Sep 16, 2008, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I do not think I have ever seen anyone screw this rule up at the high school level during a regular game. I can see why it is a POE because coaches yell for this to be a violation often.

Peace
I haven't been at this long enough to know the hows or whys the ways the FED works but to further what JRut said above maybe it's not a POE for officials, but rather coaches instead. I don't know how other states approach this, but coaches and officials attend the same state rules meetings in Missouri.
Old Tue Sep 16, 2008, 12:14pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyezen
I don't know how other states approach this, but coaches and officials attend the same state rules meetings in Missouri.
As they do here in VA too.
Old Tue Sep 16, 2008, 12:18pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyezen
I haven't been at this long enough to know the hows or whys the ways the FED works but to further what JRut said above maybe it's not a POE for officials, but rather coaches instead. I don't know how other states approach this, but coaches and officials attend the same state rules meetings in Missouri.
Now it looks like most of the meetings will be online so this might not be as significant.

Coaches only attend if they were representing their school. It was not a requirement in my state that all coaches must attend like the officials. Usually the schools would send the lower level coach and the head varsity coach would not know the actual new rules or POEs when they were called or enforced early in the season.

Peace
Old Tue Sep 16, 2008, 12:19pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jritchie
Just before the Toss to start the game, Player A gets back on defense by the basket, I guess to show he can touch the backboard, he is only 5"9", he jumps up with both hands and slaps the backboard, i guess to let everyone know he is hyped and ready to play!
I guess I'd have to see it. If it's just part of a pre-game ritual to jump and touch the backboard, then I'd probably let it go. If it's really a good "whack" to draw attention, then I might consider the T.
Old Tue Sep 16, 2008, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town
If the FEDs want to clear up any misconceptions coaches/players may have about GT/BI/T for slpping the backboard, do they really think a POE in the rulebook (of all places) is the best way to go about it?
Ha

I think not, POEs are for officials & a few knowledgeable coaches/players.
Players eventually become officials. My point is that if it's specifically addressed with officials there is less chance of misconceptions of the rules.

-Josh