View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence
I read on the NFHS website that a point of emphasis this year is slapping the backboard but it didn't say what the emphasis was. I'm not an official and I don't have the 08/09 rulebook yet.

Is there something new?
Directly from the NFHS website (http://www.nfhs.org/core/contentmana...mments_POE.pdf)

SLAPPING THE BACKBOARD. The incidents of players slapping the backboard are increasing throughout the country. The rules specify that “intentionally slapping or striking the backboard” is a technical foul (10-3-5). The spirit and intent of that rule is to penalize a player for drawing attention to him/herself or as a means of venting frustration. A player who strikes the backboard in a legitimate attempt to block a try for goal should not be penalized. Basket interference cannot be ruled in either of the above situations. Basket interference only occurs if the ball is interfered with while in the cylinder above the basket ring or by touching either the ball or any part of the basket while the ball is on or within the basket (4-6).

-Josh