View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 26, 2008, 07:02am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
I agree that missing a foul or violation is not the same as dealing with a kid wearing the wrong color headband, but I disagree with the part about it not impacting the game. Here's a once in a lifetime scenario:

A-1, the best foul shooter in the league, is one the line for a one-and-one with 0.3 seconds left in the game, his team down one point.
Team A has no remaining time outs.
Coach B points out to the officials that A-1, whose uniform is white, is wearing a blue headband, and he wants him removed from the game, to remove his headband, and to sit out a tick as the rules state.

Do you ignore Coach B's request completely, allow A-1 to wear the headband, and to shoot the free throw(s)?
Do you half-comply with Coach B's request, and simply have A-1 remove the headband, toss it to the bench, and then shoot the free throw(s).
Knowing that Coach B seems to know the rule, he states that another official made one of his players sit out a tick for an untucked jersey a few days ago in a blowout game, do you make A-1 sit a tick?

If I'm the official, I'm probably going with the second option, but I'm not sure that the rules would back me 100%.
A1 is compliant with the rules after simply removing the headband. If the game isn't delayed, A1 also can stay on the floor without penalty or substitution required. There is NO rules justification to have A1 removed from the game. It's no different than discovering a player wearing jewelry on the court.

Iow, that situation doesn't impact the game.