The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 26, 2008, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

The following rule change takes effect in the 2008-09 NCAA season: Uniforms 3-5.13 (new). The use of an arm sleeve, knee sleeve, and lower leg sleeve is permissible for medical reasons but its utilization shall be verified by either the individual’s coach or team medical personnel.

So, the rule will be the same in both HS and college that sleeves can only be worn for medical reasons. Officials should verify that is the case. However, I don't think HS is specific about knee or leg sleeves.
Old Tue Aug 26, 2008, 10:55am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
A-1, the best foul shooter in the league, is one the line for a one-and-one with 0.3 seconds left in the game, his team down one point.
Team A has no remaining time outs.
Coach B points out to the officials that A-1, whose uniform is white, is wearing a blue headband, and he wants him removed from the game, to remove his headband, and to sit out a tick as the rules state.

Do you ignore Coach B's request completely, allow A-1 to wear the headband, and to shoot the free throw(s)?
Do you half-comply with Coach B's request, and simply have A-1 remove the headband, toss it to the bench, and then shoot the free throw(s).
Knowing that Coach B seems to know the rule, he states that another official made one of his players sit out a tick for an untucked jersey a few days ago in a blowout game, do you make A-1 sit a tick?

If I'm the official, I'm probably going with the second option, but I'm not sure that the rules would back me 100%.
If you know the rule, you'll tell coach B you'll take care of it. Tell A1 to lose the headband quickly and get back to the line. Just because coach B acts like he knows the rule doesn't mean he's right. 2nd option is not just the common sense approach; it's the only approach supported by rule.

I can't see ever making any decision based on the fact that "coach seems to know the rule."
Old Tue Aug 26, 2008, 07:48pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Haste Makes Waste ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
A1 is compliant with the rules after simply removing the headband. If the game isn't delayed, A1 also can stay on the floor without penalty or substitution required. There is NO rules justification to have A1 removed from the game. It's no different than discovering a player wearing jewelry on the court. That situation doesn't impact the game.
Thanks for the correction. This will teach me to not make a quick, unresearched, post before I go to work in the morning. I was thinking about my post all day at work and I knew that it would generate a few "corrections" by the time I got home from work. I think that I was confusing this situation with casebook play 3.4.15 Situation C, and even in that situation, the player gets to take the foul shot before he is removed.

At least, if I were the official in the game, I would have gone with my second option, and simply have A-1 remove the headband, toss it to the bench, and then shoot the free throw(s).

3.4.15 Situation C: B1 fouls A1. Just before A1 goes to the line for a one-and-one, the official observes: (a) A1 either pulls the shirt out of his/her pants; or (b) that A1’s pants are partially below the hips.
Ruling: In both (a) and (b), A1 will be directed to put the shirt in the pants or pull up the pants and must leave the game immediately following his/her last free throw(s). The lane is cleared and it will be B’s ball for a throw-in, whether or not the last free throw is successful.
Old Wed Aug 27, 2008, 12:26am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac

3.4.15 Situation C: B1 fouls A1. Just before A1 goes to the line for a one-and-one, the official observes: (a) A1 either pulls the shirt out of his/her pants; or (b) that A1’s pants are partially below the hips.
Ruling: In both (a) and (b), A1 will be directed to put the shirt in the pants or pull up the pants and must leave the game immediately following his/her last free throw(s). The lane is cleared and it will be B’s ball for a throw-in, whether or not the last free throw is successful.

This has been discussed here before. Somebody pointed out that if the player did not shoot the free throws in this situation, then all a coach would have to do is tell his weak free throw shooter to pull his shirt out every time he got fouled.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Aug 27, 2008, 05:45am
Esteemed Forum Member

Good Reason For Interpretation ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref
This has been discussed here before. Somebody pointed out that if the player did not shoot the free throws in this situation, then all a coach would have to do is tell his weak free throw shooter to pull his shirt out every time he got fouled.
Good point.