View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 26, 2008, 06:29am
Esteemed Forum Member

I Don't Need No Stinking Badge ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
It's different because missing a foul or a violation or misapplying a rule could have a huge impact on the game in a key situation.
Such is not the case when dealing with a kid wearing a head band that's the wrong color. That's why it's different.

I agree that missing a foul or violation is not the same as dealing with a kid wearing the wrong color headband, but I disagree with the part about it not impacting the game. Here's a once in a lifetime scenario:

A-1, the best foul shooter in the league, is one the line for a one-and-one with 0.3 seconds left in the game, his team down one point.
Team A has no remaining time outs.
Coach B points out to the officials that A-1, whose uniform is white, is wearing a blue headband, and he wants him removed from the game, to remove his headband, and to sit out a tick as the rules state.

Do you ignore Coach B's request completely, allow A-1 to wear the headband, and to shoot the free throw(s)?
Do you half-comply with Coach B's request, and simply have A-1 remove the headband, toss it to the bench, and then shoot the free throw(s).
Knowing that Coach B seems to know the rule, he states that another official made one of his players sit out a tick for an untucked jersey a few days ago in a blowout game, do you make A-1 sit a tick?

If I'm the official, I'm probably going with the second option, but I'm not sure that the rules would back me 100%.