The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 14, 2008, 02:03pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz
And I was waiting for him to add the part about if there are two or more players in backcourt, the left arm should come up as well so as to count along with the right arm...................
I believe that's call the Chicken Dance.

I also believe Billy will be along soon with a picture to demonstrate.
Old Thu Aug 14, 2008, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And I was waiting for him to add the part about if there are two or more players in backcourt, the left arm should come up as well so as to count along with the right arm...................
Now that would just be silly, and frankly, a mockery of the game. Like the time I was coaching 8th grade ball about 12 years ago and we were playing a team where most of the players on both teams were friends. Last game of the year, last game of the middle school careers(!). With about 3 minutes left in the game, I believe my team was losing by about 25+ or so, I requested a time out that was granted by the officials (High school age volunteers). During the time out huddle, our best player took off his jersey and placed it on his 5th grade little brother, who looked exactly like him but about 9 inches shorter. Coming out of the time out, we inbound the ball to the little brother, both teams are just laughing and having a great time, little bro puts on a dazzling ball-handling exhibition for about 30 seconds, and HE WAS IN THE BACKCOURT THE WHOLE TIME!!!

call it both ways, i tell ya... call it both ways...

BTW. the little one became one of my best players several years later when I coached him in High School.
Old Thu Aug 14, 2008, 03:52pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Koach
...BTW. the little one became one of my best players several years later when I coached him in High School.
Good story.
Old Thu Aug 14, 2008, 06:36pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Believe, Yes, I Believe ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
I believe that's call the Chicken Dance. I also believe Billy will be along soon with a picture to demonstrate.
Old Thu Aug 14, 2008, 06:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Now that would just be silly, and frankly, a mockery of the game. Like the time I was coaching 8th grade ball about 12 years ago and we were playing a team where most of the players on both teams were friends. Last game of the year, last game of the middle school careers(!). With about 3 minutes left in the game, I believe my team was losing by about 25+ or so, I requested a time out that was granted by the officials (High school age volunteers). During the time out huddle, our best player took off his jersey and placed it on his 5th grade little brother, who looked exactly like him but about 9 inches shorter. Coming out of the time out, we inbound the ball to the little brother, both teams are just laughing and having a great time, little bro puts on a dazzling ball-handling exhibition for about 30 seconds, and HE WAS IN THE BACKCOURT THE WHOLE TIME!!!

BTW. the little one became one of my best players several years later when I coached him in High School.
Let's see how many technical fouls MTD can find in this post.
Old Thu Aug 14, 2008, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Then had a supervisor tell me that it looks stupid with my arm moving back and forth that fast
Of course it'd look stupid - to someone who's been doing it WRONG for so many years.

Quote:
and to switch to an out (1 second) and in (1 second) motion.
I thought I'd heard/read every possible dumb evaluator comment or suggestion possible. Until now.

Quote:
I've tried doing that but it feels strange - especially on the 5-second. Yet when I go back to my old method and try not to move fast, I find my 10-second count is closer to 12-13.
I'm surprised none of your partners or other officials haven't pulled you aside and asked what the heck you were doing.

Quote:
Any tips?
Sure. Give that evaluator a brochure for the nearest rookie camp.
Old Thu Aug 14, 2008, 09:22pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
A number of years ago when my folks lived in Western NY I took my kids to a minor league game in Rochester vs the Toledo Mud Hens. The Famous Chicken was there. He was dancing up and down the first base line flashing a centerfold at the Mud Hen southpaw who was working from the stretch. His next pitch hit the ground in front of the plate and caught catcher Rey Palacios square. He must've forgot his cup, because he ended up leaving the game.
Old Fri Aug 15, 2008, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

1. Notice I "requested a time out that was granted by the officials"
2. "player took off his jersey" on the bench - Technical foul
3. Player not in the book enters game (little bro) - Technical foul
4. 30 second ball-handling display in backcourt - 10 second violation
Old Fri Aug 15, 2008, 01:07pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
4. 30 second ball-handling display in backcourt - 10 second violation

Sounds like taunting.

T

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Aug 16, 2008, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
I do, for various reasons. Primarily, I've had enough point guards sit back and take their time crossing the line. Typically, when I get close to 8 or 9, coach is already yelling at his pg to cross. The few times I've made this 10 second call, the coaches lit into the pg's; not saying a word to me. It's not only the right call, it's the expected call.
Of course, I can't speak for your area (yet).

I alwas have the visible going and how this guy is being told to 1-out, 2-in...no...it's 1 for one arm extenstion.

I called a 10s vio with under 30s left in a game not long ago where the PG was loafing coming back up the floor. PG couldn't believe it but the Coach didn't say anything....vio is a vio regardless of time on the clock.
Old Sat Aug 16, 2008, 04:41pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltdoggs
I alwas have the visible going and how this guy is being told to 1-out, 2-in...no...it's 1 for one arm extenstion.

I called a 10s vio with under 30s left in a game not long ago where the PG was loafing coming back up the floor. PG couldn't believe it but the Coach didn't say anything....vio is a vio regardless of time on the clock.
I've called the lolly-gagging 10 second violation before, too. Invariably, the coach is yelling at his point guard.
Old Sat Aug 23, 2008, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=Fritz]... had a supervisor tell me that it looks stupid with my arm moving back and forth that fast and to switch to an out (1 second) and in (1 second) motion.

You're kidding right? A supervisor didn't really tell you that did he? You just made that up to start discussion, right? Please tell me he didn't really say that.
Old Mon Aug 25, 2008, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev
You're kidding right? A supervisor didn't really tell you that did he? You just made that up to start discussion, right? Please tell me he didn't really say that.
Nope, not making it up, really! Asked a couple of regular partners about it as well and they also roll their eyes at this guy. He is a new person in our area, supposedly was a super in another locale and the league agreed to let him do some here as well. What I am waiting on is a chance to see him actually work a game and see if he really does the out-1, in-2 count.
Old Wed Oct 22, 2008, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Visible count count.

What are the situations that the Federation says the official will use a visible count.
Old Wed Oct 22, 2008, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

"Practice your visible count, be accurate, and always show a visible count."

In order to maintain an accurate count, I count 1001, 1002, 1003, etc. I am always within 1 second accuracy. That way a coach can't point to clock to prove you have an inaccurate visible count. Hope this helps.