The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

ditto to all above, but you might add "if your team calls one, you'd want the same, wouldn't you?"
Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 07:58pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Goodbye Len Bias ...

NFHS deleted Change of Status rule in 1986.
Old Thu Jun 26, 2008, 12:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
NFHS deleted Change of Status rule in 1986.
Good research, Billy!
That appears in the "Chronology of Basketball Rules" section of the NFHS Handbook.
Old Thu Jun 26, 2008, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

I saw this happen recently in a game: Team A inbounded the ball, and the game clock did not start. After a little time had elaspsed, the refs blew the whistle to adjust the clock. After discussion at the table, five seconds were removed from the game clock. Team A was then given the ball on the side at the point where they were at when play was stopped. Team A then took seven seconds to get it across the midcourt line. No violation was called.

I can see where if Team A calls timeout getting a new ten seconds. They've given up a timeout in exchange for the fresh ten seconds. And, I can see if Team B deflects a ball out of bounds getting a new ten seconds since the violation that caused the ball to become dead was against Team B. But, in this case, it seemed that the clock malfunction (something that was beyond either team's control) rewarded Team A.

I'm just a fan, but my buddy and I were discussing it. We said that if Team A was going to get a new ten seconds, they should have been given the ball on the inbounds under the goal--which sounded logical since they would then have ten seconds to go the full half court rather than ten seconds to only go part of the half court.

I'm sure that this was called correctly, but it just didn't seem right. Thoughts?
Old Thu Jun 26, 2008, 11:10pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan10
I saw this happen recently in a game: Team A inbounded the ball, and the game clock did not start. After a little time had elaspsed, the refs blew the whistle to adjust the clock. After discussion at the table, five seconds were removed from the game clock. Team A was then given the ball on the side at the point where they were at when play was stopped. Team A then took seven seconds to get it across the midcourt line. No violation was called.

I can see where if Team A calls timeout getting a new ten seconds. They've given up a timeout in exchange for the fresh ten seconds. And, I can see if Team B deflects a ball out of bounds getting a new ten seconds since the violation that caused the ball to become dead was against Team B. But, in this case, it seemed that the clock malfunction (something that was beyond either team's control) rewarded Team A.

I'm just a fan, but my buddy and I were discussing it. We said that if Team A was going to get a new ten seconds, they should have been given the ball on the inbounds under the goal--which sounded logical since they would then have ten seconds to go the full half court rather than ten seconds to only go part of the half court.

I'm sure that this was called correctly, but it just didn't seem right. Thoughts?
You have a couple of issues here which may have affected each other, but by rule are not related. The officials noticed the clock malfunction and stopped the game to correct the situation. Afterward, they correctly resumed play at the point which it was interrupted. By FED rules, if they adjusted the clock, it had to be backed by definite knowledge of the elapsed time, in this case most likely the trail official's ten second count. In reality, many officials estimate the timing error and make an adjustment anyway.
And as for the second issue, no matter why the game was stopped, the ten second count starts over. The violation requires continuous control in the backcourt for ten seconds.

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Jun 26, 2008, 11:10pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan10

I think that the play was called correctly. It do agree that there is an unfair element to the procedure, but it's what we have right now.

I also like the FIBA rule where the time limit to get the ball across the division line is reset only on a B foul or a COP.
Old Fri Jun 27, 2008, 05:09am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
I think that the play was called correctly. It do agree that there is an unfair element to the procedure, but it's what we have right now.
What unfair element are you talking about?
Old Fri Jun 27, 2008, 07:57am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
What unfair element are you talking about?
15 seconds left in a quarter. Team A has ball in backcourt with heavy pressure from Team B and ref's count is at 6 seconds when he stops the game because the game clock hasn't started. Game clock is now reset to 9 seconds and Team A still has ball in backcourt with a new count which now means they no longer need to advance the ball into the frontcourt before the quarter ends.

I believe he means something akin to that scenario
Old Fri Jun 27, 2008, 08:00am
Official Forum Member

In general, I will wait until the ball is advanced to the front court before stopping play to reset the clock.
Old Fri Jun 27, 2008, 08:06am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
In general, I will wait until the ball is advanced to the front court before stopping play to reset the clock.
Agreed. And when I work with a shot clock I try to do the same--wait until the ball is in the front court before I blow it dead and reset the shot clock.