The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 12:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Zebra06
How Would You Explain This To A Coach?

Hey fellow zebras!

I realize that some of you may not want to explain anything on this. After all, this seems somewhat stupid of a coach to think this way. Anyhow, here goes...

Team A takes the ball out of bounds after a made basket by Team B. They inbound and begin working the ball towards their front court. As they are approaching a 10-second count, the coach for Team A calls for and is awarded a timeout. Team B's coach gets upset that the call is made. The official counting was only up to 7 seconds. What would you tell Team B's coach? What rules and/or case book citings would you want to refer to on this?

And here's something I thought of... what if the coach for B is asked in return if he thinks officials should award a team a timeout when they're 3.5 seconds into the count for a 5-count to get the ball in bounds?

I look forward to responses and your thoughts.
Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 01:12am
We don't rent pigs

What could you possibly have to explain here?? If you feel that an explanation is necessary in this case you will spend your whole life explaining things, which is a bad idea, in general, and in this case, in my opinion, is not an option.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 01:16am
Official Forum Member

yes, I know...

To just another ref...

Thanks for your response. The idea I have here is that this was in a youth league and I'd like to give this coach a chance... I won't do this for him every time. It's just that I'm certain to see him and his team again and I'd like to see if he will make himself educatable.
Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 01:19am
We don't rent pigs

You don't say exactly why the coach was upset. He thought the count was slow, or what?

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 01:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref
You don't say exactly why the coach was upset. He thought the count was slow, or what?
Sorry about that... the coach felt that the timeout should not have been awarded since A was nearing the 10-second count.

Also what would you refer to in order to show that a new 10-count would be allowed when play is resumed? This is different from the latest in the NBA from what I heard broadcasters saying during the NBA Playoffs. They get 8 seconds TOTAL, even if that 8 seconds is broken up by a timeout. Or at least that's what I was hearing the tv broadcasters saying.
Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 01:28am
We don't rent pigs

Sounds like this guy has more to learn than he can be taught during the game. Also, if your own way of learning the rules is based very much on listening to tv announcers, you probably have a bit of work left to do yourself.

Lonesome Dove

Last edited by just another ref; Wed Jun 25, 2008 at 02:04am.
Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 02:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra06
Sorry about that... the coach felt that the timeout should not have been awarded since A was nearing the 10-second count.
Tell the coach that they did away with that concept 25 years ago.

Quote:
Also what would you refer to in order to show that a new 10-count would be allowed when play is resumed? This is different from the latest in the NBA from what I heard broadcasters saying during the NBA Playoffs. They get 8 seconds TOTAL, even if that 8 seconds is broken up by a timeout. Or at least that's what I was hearing the tv broadcasters saying.
This casebook play:

9.8 SITUATION C: After A1 has dribbled for nine seconds in A's backcourt: (a) A1 requests a time-out; or (b) B1 deflects the ball out of bounds. RULING: In both (a) and (b), Team A will have 10 seconds to advance the ball to frontcourt following the throw-in if a player of Team A gains control in A's backcourt.

You are correct about the NBA rule. It is a hard 8 seconds. They also can't throw the ball into the backcourt on a throw-in from adjacent to the frontcourt until the final two minutes of the 4th quarter. Neither of those concepts apply at the HS level.
Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 06:30am
Esteemed Forum Member

Change Of Status ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
I haven't thought about the old Change of Status rule in a long time. I believe that the old rule stated that a team could not be granted a timeout when 80% of a count had been achieved, eight seconds of a ten second count, four seconds of a five second count (inbounding, closely guarded).
Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 06:37am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
I believe that the old rule stated that a team could not be granted a timeout when 80% of a count had been achieved, eight seconds of a ten second count, four seconds of a five second count (inbounding, closely guarded).
You believe correctly. I believe that it was longer than 25 years ago though. That one was long gone by 1983.
Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 07:02am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
"Coach, there's no rule prohibiting it; there hasn't been for more than 25 years."

"Coach, they get a new 10 seconds."

All that needs to be said, if anything, in either case.
Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 07:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref

This casebook play:

9.8 SITUATION C: After A1 has dribbled for nine seconds in A's backcourt: (a) A1 requests a time-out; or (b) B1 deflects the ball out of bounds. RULING: In both (a) and (b), Team A will have 10 seconds to advance the ball to frontcourt following the throw-in if a player of Team A gains control in A's backcourt.
Thanks Nevadaref, that's one thing I really wanted to see!
Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 07:56am
Official Forum Member

If you know the rule is different in some other rules set, and the coach is "friendly", I find it helpful to say something like, "You're right -- that is the rule in the NBA. Here, we're using highschool rules (I almost never say "FED rules" -- they don't know what that means), and the rules are different. In high school, the team gets a new 10-second count."

If the coach isn't being too friendly, I use the "5 words or fewer" rule: This isn't the NBA, coach.
Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 08:36am
certified Hot Mom tester

"Get a rulebook, coach. They have them now in all one syllable words with lots of pictures so you shouldn't have any trouble understanding it - and...I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt here."
Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Hey fellow zebras!

I realize that some of you may not want to explain anything on this. After all, this seems somewhat stupid of a coach to think this way. Anyhow, here goes...

Team A takes the ball out of bounds after a made basket by Team B. They inbound and begin working the ball towards their front court. As they are approaching a 10-second count, the coach for Team A calls for and is awarded a timeout. Team B's coach gets upset that the call is made. The official counting was only up to 7 seconds. What would you tell Team B's coach? What rules and/or case book citings would you want to refer to on this?

And here's something I thought of... what if the coach for B is asked in return if he thinks officials should award a team a timeout when they're 3.5 seconds into the count for a 5-count to get the ball in bounds?

Needs an explanation about as much as Team B hit the ball OOB and it's now Team A's. ....A timeout was requested and granted by the team in control of the ball. What is not to understand coach B?
Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Hey fellow zebras!

My response would be something along the lines of "Coach, his timeout request is within the rules, so I'm granting it. Now please go to your huddle."

However, I don't have to deal with live ball timeout requests anymore because under the FIBA rules timeouts can only be granted during a dead ball.