The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 17, 2008, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

rules ?

saw this question (which tripped me up) on the IAABO website.....

Team A is charged with a technical foul for an excessive time-out. During this stopped clock interval of time, B-1 is replaced by B-6. B-1 then returns to the game and attempts the two free throws which are: (a) both successful; (b) both unsuccessful; or (c) one is successful and one is not. What is the ruling in each of the three situations? (Fed rules)

Last edited by mdray; Tue Jun 17, 2008 at 12:45pm.
Old Tue Jun 17, 2008, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdray
saw this question on the IAABO website.....

Team A is charged with a technical foul for an excessive time-out. During this stopped clock interval of time, B-1 is replaced by B-6. B-1 then returns to the game and attempts the two free throws which are: (a) both successful; (b) both unsuccessful; or (c) one is successful and one is not. What is the ruling in each of the three situations? (Fed rules)
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but in 8-3, it states that "the free throws awarded because of a T foul may be attempted by any player of the offended team, including an eligible substitute or designated starter. The coach or captain shall designate the free thrower.
Old Tue Jun 17, 2008, 12:41pm
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwanr1
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but in 8-3, it states that "the free throws awarded because of a T foul may be attempted by any player of the offended team, including an eligible substitute or designated starter. The coach or captain shall designate the free thrower.
True, but can B1 return before the clock starts again?
Old Tue Jun 17, 2008, 12:49pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
B1 would not be an eligible substitute until time has come off the clock.
Old Tue Jun 17, 2008, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

So getting back to the OP, what is the correct ruling of the FTs attempted by B1?
Old Tue Jun 17, 2008, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Case book - page 17 - 3.3.3. Illegal entry
Old Tue Jun 17, 2008, 12:55pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
So getting back to the OP, what is the correct ruling of the FTs attempted by B1?
It's not a correctable error situation. Progress normally with the game. File it under "Official Screw-up".
Old Tue Jun 17, 2008, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

3.3.3. Situation B: Team B is charged with a T foul for an excess timeout. During this stopped-clock interval, A1 is replaced by A6. A1 then returns to the game and attempts the two FT which are : (a) both successful; (b) both unsuccessful; or (c) one is successful and one is not. RULING: Once A1 reentered, even illegally, and the ball became live, A1 was a legal player at that point. The resulting action in (a), (b), and (c) stands. The situation does not come under the provisions of the correctable-error rule, nor is there any provision for penalizing either Team A or A1. (3-3-4, 8-3)
Old Tue Jun 17, 2008, 12:57pm
Ch1town

Quote:
11-1-1 (a) Don't f*$# it up to begin with...
Old Tue Jun 17, 2008, 01:05pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
3.3.3. Situation B: Team B is charged with a T foul for an excess timeout. During this stopped-clock interval, A1 is replaced by A6. A1 then returns to the game and attempts the two FT which are : (a) both successful; (b) both unsuccessful; or (c) one is successful and one is not. RULING: Once A1 reentered, even illegally, and the ball became live, A1 was a legal player at that point. The resulting action in (a), (b), and (c) stands. The situation does not come under the provisions of the correctable-error rule, nor is there any provision for penalizing either Team A or A1. (3-3-4, 8-3)
Do I get an IAABO patch now?
Old Tue Jun 17, 2008, 01:08pm
Ch1town

Anybody can get one:
http://www.honigs.com/detail.asp?Cat...=144&Item=1035
Old Tue Jun 17, 2008, 04:23pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town

No, anyone cannot get one. If your name does not show up on the IAABO roster, Honig's will not sell one to you or any officiating shirt with an IAABO patch on it.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Jun 17, 2008, 04:43pm
Ch1town

Really? I thought they were ordering those shirts. I guess it's true then... having a patch only means one can pass a written test

Actually seeing an official work before passing those things out should be a requirement.
Old Tue Jun 17, 2008, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

B1 does not become an eligible sub until time has been run off the clock. Cannot sub during the same dead ball period.
Old Tue Jun 17, 2008, 05:57pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town
Really? I thought they were ordering those shirts. I guess it's true then... having a patch only means one can pass a written test

Actually seeing an official work before passing those things out should be a requirement.
That's all that a lot of association patches mean. Each officials association, whether it's state, regional or local, sets their own membership criteria. Actually being competent isn't always necessarily one of those criteria, especially when an area is short of bodies.