The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 25, 2008, 02:59pm
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
Personally, I have seen and worked with SoCal officials in the two sports I have been involved in that I wouldn't trust on a girls JV game.
So what are you saying, that girls JV is less quality than boys JV...
Old Tue Mar 25, 2008, 03:01pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
This is the key to the "college-ready in 3 years" statement.

This is not just true in basketball, but several other sports as well. If an official shows any talent or potential, the college assignors will snap them up in a hurry. They have so many games to cover, they need the bodies. New college officials will start at the JC/NAIA/D3 level for a few years, if they show that they can handle that, they move up to D2. It is still not easy to make it to D1, but at least the D1 assignors know that they are getting an official that has had a good amount of college level work.

Personally, I have seen and worked with SoCal officials in the two sports I have been involved in that I wouldn't trust on a girls JV game. I have also seen some very good officials from SoCal. SoCal is just like anywhere else..there are good officials and bad officials....you can't just measure quality by what level of ball you work.
And that summary I can agree with completely. You measure quality by quality, not years or the level currently being worked. Period. Jmo, but I think that it's true for most other areas too outside of Cali.

College-ready doesn't necessarily equate to officiating competency. As you said, it might just equate to being available in some instances. And it certainly doesn't mean that any official is automatically better than their high school brethren just because they're doing a few JUCO/D3 games. It depends solely on the individual official imo. I've seen quite a few individuals that I'd rate as being outstanding officials that simply do not want to work beyond the high school level, for one reason or another.

It's an assignor's job to supply competent, qualified officials needed for the different levels. If an assignor can't do so, he won't be assigning that particular level for very long. Politics and friendship can only go so far.

Jmo.
Old Tue Mar 25, 2008, 03:03pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
They play team sports in Hell?
Old Tue Mar 25, 2008, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

The other point that is missing about college ready is that college assignors will not necessarily hire the best ref available but will instead hire the ref who has the most potential so he can build the ranks. I've seen a number of very very good older officials not get hired at the college level while younger guys on the way up get the look. Of course this varies from coordinator to coordinator, area to area, but it makes sense to hire someone who will be working for you for 20 years rather than someone who might just arrive for a cup of coffee, so long as the young ref has reached a certain level of competence.
Old Tue Mar 25, 2008, 03:35pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMEngmann
The other point that is missing about college ready is that college assignors will not necessarily hire the best ref available but will instead hire the ref who has the most potential so he can build the ranks. I've seen a number of very very good older officials not get hired at the college level while younger guys on the way up get the look. Of course this varies from coordinator to coordinator, area to area, but it makes sense to hire someone who will be working for you for 20 years rather than someone who might just arrive for a cup of coffee, so long as the young ref has reached a certain level of competence.
BTW your last post before this one was outstanding.

Also what can get you hired is your location. John Adams that is the soon to be NCAA Men's Coordinator made it very clear to campers that were prospective D2 officials for the conference he assigned, if you lived in certain locations you would get hired pretty much off the spot. And that was very clear who he did not hire when I attended his last camp. So it is not every about who they can mold. Sometimes it is where you live and how many games they can give you in certain locations without much of a problem.

Peace
Old Tue Mar 25, 2008, 03:38pm
Esteemed Participant

We also need to acknowledge that "college-ready" will differ from place to place. If there are more colleges in an area, they will need more officials and will hire some peop-le who would never even get a second glance in an area with fewer colleges...or the fact that when one college assignor picks up a newer official, other assignors feel like they "have" to hire that person also so they won't "lose" them. At times it makes absolutely no sense...

And as far as SoCal officials, I work games with officials from SoCal. Some of them are very good. Some stink...either way, it's certainly not because of where they are from.
Old Tue Mar 25, 2008, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
I've seen quite a few individuals that I'd rate as being outstanding officials that simply do not want to work beyond the high school level, for one reason or another.

Jmo.
All this jealousy. There are a lot of great baseball players that never make the show, but none of them choose to stay in Single A ball. By limiting the level you work, you limit your ceiling as an official. My experience is that people who try and draw distinctions between college and high school officials are the ones who have the same excuses as those who blame politics for their lack of advancement. You don't hear college officials complaining about anything, or bragging about assignments to make themselves feel good. But there is a searing envy that comes from the HS lifers, or those who get dropped from college rosters. LOCAA means nothing to college officials. If you have judgment, you can work.

College assignors are looking for people that they can mold and develop in their own image. Some officials do get their shot at D-1 after 4-5 years of officiating, whether they have much experience in lower-level college games or not. They are more concerned with bodies breaking down for officials who get past the age of 40, which is a legitimate concern. Very few 25-35 year-old officials have physical problems. That's a big reason they get shots over a grizzled veteran of 40.
Old Tue Mar 25, 2008, 04:18pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOracle
You don't hear college officials complaining about anything, or bragging about assignments to make themselves feel good. .
ROFLMAO!!! What a crock...they absolutely do complain about schedules and brag about schedules - there are the exact same complaints and brags in a college roster as there are in a HS roster - Who got this or that "big" game? Why do I have to go to School A 5 times this season? Why is so-and-so working this game and I'm on this other game...

If you honestly think that "schedule comparing" doesn't go on at the college level, then you are more out of touch with reality than I thought.
Old Tue Mar 25, 2008, 05:32pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
ROFLMAO!!! What a crock...they absolutely do complain about schedules and brag about schedules - there are the exact same complaints and brags in a college roster as there are in a HS roster - Who got this or that "big" game? Why do I have to go to School A 5 times this season? Why is so-and-so working this game and I'm on this other game...

If you honestly think that "schedule comparing" doesn't go on at the college level, then you are more out of touch with reality than I thought.
Rock, Old School Jr. has absolutely no knowledge or experience as to what's happening at the college level. He's made that painfully clear in his previous attempts at posting. It's doubtful that he's an official in the first place.

Just another troll wandering through.....

Btw, OldSchool/Oracle, Rocky worked a D2 Final Four last year, in case you're wondering about his credentials.
Old Tue Mar 25, 2008, 07:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Dan:

I hate to disagree with you but the OhioHSAA does not have an evaluation process. There are not forms for coaches to fill out (even though I doubt a coach could complete one, ), coaches recommend officials who they like based upon whether they agree with the officials' calls or not. It is a giant popularity contest.

MTD, Sr.
Mark,

Who gives a sh1t. :shrug: