The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 24, 2008, 01:14am
Official Forum Member

How good/bad is your association involved in politics?

Just want to ask you how good/bad is your association involved in politics. In my association, there is a good old boy system/group that takes over the board of directors and does not want to improve the association at all!

We only had five meetings last season and not even half the officials show up. They will not require mentors to help out the rookies.

Too bad the next closest association is 200 miles away.
Old Mon Mar 24, 2008, 03:19am
Do not give a damn!!

Let me first say that I am not one who buys into the whole "politics" discussion that many officials like to have. I feel ultimately everyone has a system and if they work within that system they can benefit or parish. I honestly feel that most officials use any downfall as an excuse for their careers despite what is actually true.

Having said that that politics in my area exists, but it has little or nothing to do with the overall success of officials or who does what. There are all kinds of factors to how an official can succeed and the organizational structures where I live only play a small role in what an official can or cannot do. I guess I do not consider it bad or good. It is what it is. And at least where I live I have to please multiple people in order to work games which leads to other opportunities. None of this is in the hands of one or two people.

Also you said that the association does not make mentors help out the rookies. I guess what I do not understand is how can anyone make someone help people if they do not want to? I know I found my own mentors and did not need an association structure to find people that I thought were helpful to me personally. I would agree that associations are there to help officials achieve a common goal, but that goal is not always to help everyone out in a structured way. In other words, if you get games from your association, that might be the main focus of the association. The multiple associations that I belong to main focus are training. So I get out of if what I decide to put into it.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 24, 2008, 07:52am
Huck Finn

I'm sure this isn't the case 100% of the time, but I think a good official will eventually make it hard for politics to hold him/her back. There just seems to always be a way for a good official to work games. I've seen politics all over the country and eventually good officials achieve some level of success. It might not always be what is desired, but it is success.
Old Mon Mar 24, 2008, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Let me first say that I am not one who buys into the whole "politics" discussion that many officials like to have. I feel ultimately everyone has a system and if they work within that system they can benefit or parish. I honestly feel that most officials use any downfall as an excuse for their careers despite what is actually true.

Having said that that politics in my area exists, but it has little or nothing to do with the overall success of officials or who does what. There are all kinds of factors to how an official can succeed and the organizational structures where I live only play a small role in what an official can or cannot do. I guess I do not consider it bad or good. It is what it is. And at least where I live I have to please multiple people in order to work games which leads to other opportunities. None of this is in the hands of one or two people.

Also you said that the association does not make mentors help out the rookies. I guess what I do not understand is how can anyone make someone help people if they do not want to? I know I found my own mentors and did not need an association structure to find people that I thought were helpful to me personally. I would agree that associations are there to help officials achieve a common goal, but that goal is not always to help everyone out in a structured way. In other words, if you get games from your association, that might be the main focus of the association. The multiple associations that I belong to main focus are training. So I get out of if what I decide to put into it.

Peace

My parish is Our Lady of the Holy Blarge
Old Mon Mar 24, 2008, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

The "good old boy" politics to which the OP refers is probably present at some level (big or small) in all officiating associations. In a group setting, it's almost impossible to remove politics from the equation.

However, I completely agree with the others who are right to say that (1) it won't hold back good officials who are truly intent on improving and (2) you can complain about it or deal with it.

Locally, we have two basketball associations. The big one has 95% (or more) of the games and the small one gets the balance, but the small one also books for several NAIA colleges locally and has some top-caliber officials. I ultimately went with the smaller association, knowing I would get fewer varsity games but I also got intense "coaching/mentoring/harassing to improve" by the guys (and gals) in our group. For me, it was the right decision but I certainly don't knock anyone for choosing the larger association. Simply a matter of preference.
Old Mon Mar 24, 2008, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMOzebra
Locally, we have two basketball associations. The big one has 95% (or more) of the games and the small one gets the balance, but the small one also books for several NAIA colleges locally and has some top-caliber officials. I ultimately went with the smaller association, knowing I would get fewer varsity games but I also got intense "coaching/mentoring/harassing to improve" by the guys (and gals) in our group. For me, it was the right decision but I certainly don't knock anyone for choosing the larger association. Simply a matter of preference.
Just out of curiousity, do you have to choose or could you join both?
Old Mon Mar 24, 2008, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb70
Just want to ask you how good/bad is your association involved in politics. In my association, there is a good old boy system/group that takes over the board of directors and does not want to improve the association at all!

We only had five meetings last season and not even half the officials show up. They will not require mentors to help out the rookies.

Too bad the next closest association is 200 miles away.
*ONLY* 5 meetings?

How many meetings do you expect to have to go to for 1 association?
Old Mon Mar 24, 2008, 09:09am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
*ONLY* 5 meetings?

I know of an association in Ontario that meets twice a week from September to November, then once a week after that until March. A second association meets every other week from October to March.

Is that a lot?
Old Mon Mar 24, 2008, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalreff
Wow, ya'll are spoiled around the country. We are required to attend 18 hours of instruction in unit meetings before we're even qualified to work one game.....And pass a 200 question test....and another 100 question test.
That's 7 meetings besides any camps or clinics.
18 hrs of instruction EVERY YEAR??

If so that is plain nuts.
Old Mon Mar 24, 2008, 09:18am
Keeper of the HAMMER

My, how parochial of you.
Old Mon Mar 24, 2008, 09:20am
In Memoriam

Quote:
I guess that's why we have the best officials in the country right here.
Is that who you had on the Mater Dei game?

Seems that a few of your fellow officials out there kinda disagree with your assessment.
Old Mon Mar 24, 2008, 09:21am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Is that who you had on the Mater Dei game?

Seems that a few of your fellow officials out there kinda disagree with your assessment.
I'm sure those were no-cal referees. socal has already informed us his opinion of the nocal guys.
Old Mon Mar 24, 2008, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Every single year. I guess that's why we have the best officials in the country right here....at least for the 1st 5 years of anyone's career, there's no place you can get better faster with the level of instruction, amount of games, and quality of play.
So while the rest of us are working scrimmages your officials are sitting in a classroom every fall.

Sure, I can see how that would make you think you're the best officials in the country. This stuff is easy in the classroom.
Old Mon Mar 24, 2008, 09:29am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
*ONLY* 5 meetings?

We have 7 meetings with a requirement to attend 5. Plus we have to attend a VHSL clinic.

Used be 9 meetings/7 required.
Old Mon Mar 24, 2008, 09:36am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
There's no point in working scrimmages without knowing the rules. Scrimmages are an additional requirement. If you don't work a a scrimmage, you don't get games either.
You need 18 hours of instruction every year to know the rules? Long term memory issues?