The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 23, 2006, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Hope I never get involved in this!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,224078,00.html

My my, the things that happen in youth sports. And this is 6-7 year old football.

Maybe the dad was upset that the coach was hurting his kids scholarship chances??
Old Mon Oct 23, 2006, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

Not as deadly, but just as stupid:

Lawsuit: too much time in the outfield
Old Mon Oct 23, 2006, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

Let both postings be warnings to all of us to be alert on and off the field. Otherwise that could be you at the other end of the gun barrel or defending yourself against a lawsuit.
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Here's another one - and from MN!

For those who have heard of the MN-natives' self-delusional notion of a culture here of "Minnesota Nice"...

Quote:
Hard feelings over playing time on a girls softball team erupted in a knock-down, drag-out fight between two St. Paul dads — with one accusing the other of biting off part of his earlobe.
Full article: A bump, a brawl, a bite — all over a girls softball game
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

People are nuts. We had two MOM's get in a fist fight on opening day a few years ago....ready for this--their kids played on the SAME team and mind you this is rec league 12U ball. One was the pitcher the other the catcher, I guess mom was a boxer stupid!

Then on the LL side of things a coach got in the face of a 17 year old umpire cause he wanted an obs call at the plate, after a semi calm conversation where the young man handled himself quite well explaining that his judgment was ...... the coach replied that he would beat his a#$ great example for the kids.....
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

As a youngster (16 yo), I umpired (baseball) in a league that had a hard time getting someone to coach a team. Teams were neighborhood/development related. This one team finally got a former semi-pro player to manage. After having tossed him a half-dozen times in a month, I finally forfeited a game when he refused to leave.

He came after me while changing out of my uniform. He told me he was going to kick my *** and took a swing. Well, back then, masks were basically made of cast iron and I just happened to be holding mine in my left hand when we took a shot. Dumb sh*t broke his hand on my mask as I moved it in front of me for protection. Sometimes the feather weight masks may not be the best suited for the job at hand.

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.
Old Mon Oct 30, 2006, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Leecedar
Fortunately, in Florida...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
As a youngster (16 yo), I umpired (baseball) in a league that had a hard time getting someone to coach a team. Teams were neighborhood/development related. This one team finally got a former semi-pro player to manage. After having tossed him a half-dozen times in a month, I finally forfeited a game when he refused to leave.

He came after me while changing out of my uniform. He told me he was going to kick my *** and took a swing. Well, back then, masks were basically made of cast iron and I just happened to be holding mine in my left hand when we took a shot. Dumb sh*t broke his hand on my mask as I moved it in front of me for protection. Sometimes the feather weight masks may not be the best suited for the job at hand.

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.
... a couple of years ago, they made threatening or attacking a sports official a felony. You gotta realize, down here, when they say, "Kill the ump!" they might be packing anything from blades to bazookas!
Old Mon Oct 30, 2006, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leecedar
... a couple of years ago, they made threatening or attacking a sports official a felony. You gotta realize, down here, when they say, "Kill the ump!" they might be packing anything from blades to bazookas!
As a matter of principle, I do not approve of our modern republic's tendency to create boutique feel-good laws. After all, making something illegal has never, in the history of civilization, stopped the behavior from happening. Assault, assault and battery, etc. on up through the escalation of the criminal laws should be sufficient regardless of the "special class" of the victim. JMO.
Old Mon Oct 30, 2006, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leecedar
Not in CA.

It has its own penal code section, but the punishment is about the same as any other assault/battery. Many umps in CA believe it is a felony, and I did too, until I had a situation that caused me to actually look it up.
Old Mon Oct 30, 2006, 06:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
You did this at 16? And I thought I had a mis-spent adolesence...
Old Mon Oct 30, 2006, 06:25pm
Official Forum Member

I suppose as umpires we're going to have to start wearing gun belts and carrying tazers
Old Mon Oct 30, 2006, 06:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcannizzo
You did this at 16? And I thought I had a mis-spent adolesence...
Actually, I started a month or so before my 14th birthday